Angled Tire Valve Stems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Angled Tire Valve Stems

Got lucky last night and had my rear tire go flat right as I was pulling into the garage, seems I had worn down through the cords.

Now I've got new 880's coming and figured I would have the OEM valve stems replaced with angled stems I have two questions:

Anyone know where to find or can recommend good angled stems to replace the oem ones, I remember seeing brass ones awhile back but can't seem to find them now.

And are the Stems 8mm or 10mm?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:05 am

Re: Angled Tire Valve Stems

Lucky is right. Hopefully you will start checking tire condition and pressure before every ride from now on.

I may be mistaken, but the general recommendation around here was to use straight stems and not angled. Someone else please chime in and correct me if I am incorrect and refresh me on why/why not.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Centrifugal force created when the tire is spinning puts a tremendous amount of stress on an angled valve stem. At one time, Gold Wing wheels were engineered with a special bracket to accommodate and support an angled stem. Not sure if they still have that, but it certainly proves you would not want an angled stem without something to support the end of the stem.

I would not recommend using them on an LT.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Lucky is right. Hopefully you will start checking tire condition and pressure before every ride from now on.

I may be mistaken, but the general recommendation around here was to use straight stems and not angled. Someone else please chime in and correct me if I am incorrect and refresh me on why/why not.
Ya I knew the rear was getting a little iffy was really hoping to make it to the end of the season, I wasn't sure about the stems its either that or spend the money on a TPMS.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:26 am

I have used metal angled stems for many years with no issues.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #6 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Any pics, name of brand, or where you got them?
Thanks
post #7 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2

Sheldan you don't happen to remember where you found them or what the specs are?

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 11:41 am

There are some real short stubby ones that are angled and work fine. I too had them for 5-8 years or so. A Google search will pull up many and there were at one time several different ones pictured and discussed on this forum.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
There are some real short stubby ones that are angled and work fine. I too had them for 5-8 years or so. A Google search will pull up many and there were at one time several different ones pictured and discussed on this forum.

I found those Dan and there is three sizes for them 8mm 10mm and 11.5mm as well as smooth or ribbed . The problem isn't finding them the problem is finding which one fit's.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is what I have had on my LT for the last 5 years.

One angled and one straight in the middle of the page. I am going back to straight on the front though.

http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...?cPath=632_695

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

One angled and one straight in the middle of the page. I am going back to straight on the front though.

John do you remember if it was 8 or 10mm that you used? and if you don't mind me asking why go back to the straight on the front?

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 12:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One of those I posted lists a size it fits in inches but these both worked fine. .339-.327" which looks like 8mm to me.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 12:45 pm

I don't know if there is any reason to worry about the different types of valve stems available if you ride you tires down to the cords. Motorcycle tires are costly but the alternative can cost your life.

Gerhard
post #14 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
I don't know if there is any reason to worry about the different types of valve stems available if you ride you tires down to the cords. Motorcycle tires are costly but the alternative can cost your life.

Gerhard

Living life on the edge gerhard, but for some strange reason I'd like to change out the rubber stems with something a bit easier to get air into. Insane I know but that's just me

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #15 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 2:44 pm

I bought a right angle adapter that I carry in the "glovebox". Screw it on to the straight stem, air it up, take off the adapter.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #16 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I found those Dan and there is three sizes for them 8mm 10mm and 11.5mm as well as smooth or ribbed . The problem isn't finding them the problem is finding which one fit's.
It was quite a while ago that I replaced the valve stems on my K1200LT and I don't remember there being a hole size concern. I went with the shortest ones I could find in order to keep it as close to the wheel as possible. A short straight metal valve is a lot easier to fill then the longer rubber ones that come with the bike. Adding an angle also made it easier. If you go with the shortest ones that you can find, I'm sure you will like the result.

The K1600 wheel has the valve stem built into side of the wheel.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The 85 degree stems I keep in stock I get from Meyers Tire supply. Part # 24131 hole size .453. I sell them for $4.89 ea. when I install a tire.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
The 85 degree stems I keep in stock I get from Meyers Tire supply. Part # 24131 hole size .453. I sell them for $4.89 ea. when I install a tire.

Thank you Dave

Email inbound

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #19 of 22 Old Sep 28th, 2012, 10:00 pm
Gold Supporter

You mentioned TPMS, if you are thinking the kind that screws on the valve stems, straight stems would be best. Having the extra mass of the sensors on an angled stem would put even more pressure on the stems.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #20 of 22 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 6:17 am

I made it on a rear wheel. See Pic's.
Is a lot of work because the OD size of the stem is larger then the size of the hole in the rim. Not the hole through the rim, just the diameter where the valve sit on the rim and you have to grind this to the OD of the stem. Is a very precise job you have to do there.
There is no valve on the market here in Germany with the right fit to the rim. I used the 11,5 mm Aluminum Valve.
Is more ease to use a flex hose on the fill line.

Opened to the size of the stem Diameter.

After fiting

Inside, there is a rubber seal between this nut and the stem.

Manfred
post #21 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the photos Manfred much appreciated!

LOL I think I would be just a little nervous undertaking that modification myself but well done!

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

This One

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in