Map and Trunk Light Bulb Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Map and Trunk Light Bulb Question

All Ya All,

Have searched both the new and old sites and have not found an answer to the age old question - how do you get to the light bulbs in these two locations? Both of mine are out and I can not seem to find a link as to what bulb to replace them with or how to get at them.

I thought I would ask the forum before I take a screwdriver or knife to the covers and pry them off.

Much thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozar
All Ya All,

Have searched both the new and old sites and have not found an answer to the age old question - how do you get to the light bulbs in these two locations? Both of mine are out and I can not seem to find a link as to what bulb to replace them with or how to get at them.

I thought I would ask the forum before I take a screwdriver or knife to the covers and pry them off.

Much thanks!
Wow - very rare that both, or either for that matter, bulbs would be out. Butt, given that you've gone thru the different switch positions and can't get 'em to light, then do just what you said. Insert a small (jeweler's blade) screwdriver in the leetle notch at one end of the lens and pop it out. Then take the bulb to your local Autozone, or even Wal-Mart possibly, for replacement. You'll see how easy they're mounted once you've pulled the assembly out of the niche. Good luck.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skozar
All Ya All,

Much thanks!
They cannot be replaced, you need to buy a new bike!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:51 am

I agree with Zippy....time to buy a new bike.....LOL

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #5 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:55 am

Trunk Lite

For the trunk lite you have to take a small drill bit and drill about 1/4 inch to the left of the lite; then take a small screwdriver and insert to pry the lite out.

Had to do just that in order to replace mine.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 1:24 pm

I have detailed instructions with photos on how to remove the one in the trunk--you can download them from my Web site (riderwest.com). The instructions are in the manual for the LED Saddlebag/Trunk/Extension Light (look under Products).

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Dome light photos

[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

I used a small blade screw driver. Look for foreign car part place that sells Bosch products to find a bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT trunk rack stop light wires, early 2000 and  1999..jpg
Views:	171
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Light power harness for trunk light early 2000 and 1999..jpg
Views:	148
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2816  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 1:32 am

As others have noted a small screw driver usually does the trick. The goal is to press in the locking tab that holds the light in place so it can be removed (yours may come out with a simple prying action, I actually have to press the tab, very tight fit). It can be difficult, I thought mine would break before it came loose. If your dealer has a map light in stock take a look at it. It helps to know what the locking tab looks like so you understand what's fighting your efforts.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Wink Ms not going for trading the bike for bulbs!

All Ya All,

Thanks for the very valuable info. I shared the opinion with my Ms (Mrs Skozar that is) that I needed a new bike because the bulbs were out! She yelled a lot!!! Thought I would need to replace all the bulbs in the house after that one.

Thanks to the forum responses I was able to get both bulbs out and yes the filiments were gone. They are now replaced and I can again read maps and pick my fingernails at speed in the dark and the Ms can see to adjust various things too. I was also able to see my new black eye.

Thanks again for the guidance (not the black eye of course)

Skozar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in