valve clearance check - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

valve clearance check

So, now that i`ve done pretty much all of the preventative maintenance on my LT, I`m ready for my next adventure, checking the valve clearance. Just how much of a pain is this precedure ?

Don't waste a day wishing you rode!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: valve clearance check

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrocky
So, now that i`ve done pretty much all of the preventative maintenance on my LT, I`m ready for my next adventure, checking the valve clearance. Just how much of a pain is this precedure ?
The checking part is not that bad. Take the left side tupperware off, remove the crash bar, remove the valve cover, manually bump the engine around while in fifth gear, measure the clearance. Don't forget to blow out the spark plugs before you take the valve cover off. Just did it for the first time.

After you find a few out of spec, then is becomes more challenging.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrocky
Eazy peazy - for a start, here is some reading material on checking valves, with pics. You can find some more using the search feature in the HoW pages. HTH.

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Checking is easy, swapping buckets a bit tougher, but not too bad. I just swapped buckets for the first time this summer and the only hiccup was getting the chain adjuster pinned. I thought I had it, but when it was time to go back together it was obvious it wasn't. Not a crisis, just used a long screw driver and slow pressure to back the tensionor back into position.

The article Dick pointed you to was the one I used.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 11:00 pm

I'm in the midst of performing the valve adjustment for the first time. The valve check revealed four intake valves that are too tight. It took awhile but I finally was able to insert the drill bit into the cam chain tension adjuster but it sure doesn't seem like it provided much slack to the cam chain. Should the cam chain be noticeably loose around the sprockets once the drill bit is inserted through the cam chain adjuster cover? My concern is that I'm going to have a dickens of a time getting the sprocket back onto the end of the camshaft when I'm ready to reassemble the intake cam.

Thanks Dick for posting the link to the gun smoke article, very helpful!

Thanks
Dave
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djthompson43
It took awhile but I finally was able to insert the drill bit into the cam chain tension adjuster but it sure doesn't seem like it provided much slack to the cam chain. Should the cam chain be noticeably loose around the sprockets once the drill bit is inserted through the cam chain adjuster cover? My concern is that I'm going to have a dickens of a time getting the sprocket back onto the end of the camshaft when I'm ready to reassemble the intake cam.
Dave
Dave,
I just did the same thing last week and had the same issues you mention, also used the same Web page for instructions. Belive it or not that little slack will work, you will have to pull the sprocket a little to get it reseated but it will go back on. I did a little practice before I removed the cam, took the sprocket off and back on a couple time before going all the way.
Be careful of the exhaust buckets they will slid out a little when you remove the cam, don't want to get them mixed. Take them out one at a time make note of size, place them in order on clean surface. Also take note of the numbers on the cam holders, and the mounting direction. If you get it wrong the cover will not line up..don't ask how I know.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:19 pm

Thanks John, I really appreciate your feedback! Fortunately I only have to remove the intake cam where the buckets point upwards and are not likely to just slide out when the cam is removed, but I appreciate your point to make sure I keep everything organized so that it goes back on in the same location and orientation. I realize the chain will be zip-tied to the sprockets but what, if anything, supports the sprocket once it is removed from the end of the cam shaft? Does it just fall slack until it is reinstalled on the cam?

Thanks,
Dave
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes it does. Be sure to put ties (x2) on BOTH gears, not just the intake cam.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 1:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I realize the chain will be zip-tied to the sprockets but what, if anything, supports the sprocket once it is removed from the end of the cam shaft? Does it just fall slack until it is reinstalled on the cam?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

As jzeiler mentions above be sure to zip both gears. The plastic guide will also need to be removed to get the cam off and it will just about fall off the chain once the sprocket is removed.

After you remove the sprocket the cam might snap into a different position due to the valves pushing on the lobs. But not to worry when you are putting it back on you will be using the 19 mm wrench to re-align the cam with the sprocket. I put the sprocket back on the cam and loosely turned the bolt on, then rocked the cam with the wrench to get the pin to align with the slot in the sprocket.

It's only scarey while you are doing it...then you will turn the motor over a few times saying to yourself "I think I did it right, I am sure I did it right".

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 9:15 pm

I was able to remove the intake cam and pull the buckets, yeehaw! Every bucket was a 2.900MM thickness. I will need four 2.85MM buckets to resolve the four "tight" intake valves. The hunt begins tomorrow for these buckets!!!

Thanks for all the support and guidance that got me this far, but you certainly haven't heard the last from me since I still have to get this sucker back together!

Thanks,
Dave
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:17 pm

I just know I'm going to have trouble finding the buckets I need so I started to wonder, is there a reason why a 2.900MM bucket can not be machined down to a 2.85MM bucket? The company I work for has a very sophisticated machine shop that manufactures components used in the space and defense industry. Not sure I could convince one of the guys to try this or not, but I'm gonna take one of the buckets to work and see what I can find out

Anybody out there know of a reason why this can't, or shouldn't be done? One obvious problem is that I"ll be creating shims that are mis-marked to the true dimension, which creates potential problems down the road. Probably a way to etch the new dimension onto the inside of the bucket.

The more I think about it, it's a bad idea.... I just need to find the right size buckets.....sometimes I'm just such a cheap bastard!
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:23 pm

I did 13 of mine, you are never going to need that size again unless you rebuild the head, waste of beer money if you ask me, grind down the raised part inside measuring VERY VERY carefully with a micrometer as you go, document what you have done for future reference - for yourself or if you sell the bike

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:29 pm

Everything is back together and she fired right up, purring like a kitten! Like everyone said, once you've done it it really doesn't seem that difficult! I was fortunate to locate the four buckets I needed at the local dealership, $21.00 apiece. Looks like the 24k maintenance is going to run me about $295.00 for parts and lubes. Toughest part to swallow was the $60.00 cylinder head gasket (ouch!) which probably didn't need replacing.

Again, thanks for all the guidance and encouragement. Would never have attempted this without the backing of this forum!

Dave
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 1:36 am

Quote:
Everything is back together and she fired right up, purring like a kitten! Like everyone said, once you've done it it really doesn't seem that difficult! I was fortunate to locate the four buckets I needed at the local dealership, $21.00 apiece. Looks like the 24k maintenance is going to run me about $295.00 for parts and lubes. Toughest part to swallow was the $60.00 cylinder head gasket (ouch!) which probably didn't need replacing.

Again, thanks for all the guidance and encouragement. Would never have attempted this without the backing of this forum!

Dave
I got the gasket. Realized that I didn't need it. Tried to return the sealed new gasket and the dealer charges me $20 as restocking fee. Ouch - paying $20 for something didn't need hurts even more.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2012, 11:56 am

Did the dealer order the head gasket for you or was it already in his stock? If he had to order it for you then the charge, although hard to swallow, was probably warranted. If it was in stock and he charged you the $20 then he is a rat bastard and you need to find another dealer!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in