Max LT Load Maybe - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Max LT Load Maybe

I loaded my LT Sunday with all the tools I had bought in Detroit plus all of my wife's stuff while the bike was on the center stand. When I rolled it off the stand yesterday morning to head home I knew it was a new weight record for me.

I found out at the first fuel stop in Columbus OH that I could not get the side stand out on level ground. I finally found a pump that the pavement was lower on the left side. I was at a truck stop & decided to weigh it. To make a long story short I was told over the speaker on the scale 1442 lbs.

To make matters worse all of the heavy weight was in the top case & in my bag on the top rack. That is the only it would fit. It took three stations on my last fuel stop to find a pump where I could get the side stand out.

I think now I know why I was wearing out my Ohlin's every year to the point that I had to replace everything every rebuild.

Also I only averaged 45 mpg on the way home.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Re: Max LT Load Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I loaded my LT Sunday with all the tools I had bought in Detroit plus all of my wife's stuff while the bike was on the center stand. When I rolled it off the stand yesterday morning to head home I knew it was a new weight record for me.

I found out at the first fuel stop in Columbus OH that I could not get the side stand out on level ground. I finally found a pump that the pavement was lower on the left side. I was at a truck stop & decided to weigh it. To make a long story short I was told over the speaker on the scale 1442 lbs.

To make matters worse all of the heavy weight was in the top case & in my bag on the top rack. That is the only it would fit. It took three stations on my last fuel stop to find a pump where I could get the side stand out.

I think now I know why I was wearing out my Ohlin's every year to the point that I had to replace everything every rebuild.

Also I only averaged 45 mpg on the way home.
Holy poop Batman. That is a large pile! I am sure that the handling was somewhat compromised. Glad you are OK. I thought I had it bad towing my Bunkhouse. You are the master and I bow to you (and will get the hell out of the way).

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Holy poop Batman. That is a large pile! I am sure that the handling was somewhat compromised. Glad you are OK. I thought I had it bad towing my Bunkhouse. You are the master and I bow to you (and will get the hell out of the way).

Robert
Believe it or not Robert the handling is still quite good at speed. I did notice at low speeds ( parking lot ) that my handle bars shake real bad when I turn. I think it has a lot to do with the 168,000 miles on the bike. Something is worn out because it does it with no extra weight. It's just real scary when the bike is loaded.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I can see this going several different directions..

Glad you lived...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 12 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Dave,
You said you had all the tools and your wife's stuff. You didn't mention that you came up with your wife. When I first got my LT a guy on a Wing who used to ride a LT called it a light truck. You were way over a half ton total weight. That there is a truck.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 5:14 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok
Dave,
You said you had all the tools and your wife's stuff. You didn't mention that you came up with your wife. When I first got my LT a guy on a Wing who used to ride a LT called it a light truck. You were way over a half ton total weight. That there is a truck.
My wife flew there & home I just brought her stuff with me to save $25 on a baggage fee.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 5:18 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

I can see this going several different directions..

Glad you lived...

John
I've had almost this much weight many times before. This was the first time with stock shocks & the load just lowered the bike a little to much.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 6:51 am

I can't imagine doing something like that, $25 baggage fee seems like a cheap way to make this into a safer more enjoyable trip.

Gerhard
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 5:24 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
I can't imagine doing something like that, $25 baggage fee seems like a cheap way to make this into a safer more enjoyable trip.

Gerhard
Nothing unsafe or unenjoyable at all. I only exceeded the max weight by 119 lbs. I like my rides to be challenging. It was a $25 fee each way a $50 savings. I also saved about $65 in shipping charges for the tools. That almost payed for my gas for the whole trip.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Good to know... I've been trying to keep the women I date in to an under 200lb limit, you've just opened up a whole new set of standards for me!
Glad you made it home safe, I have filled a tank while sitting on the bike before.

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 5:37 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_ryder1964
Good to know... I've been trying to keep the women I date in to an under 200lb limit, you've just opened up a whole new set of standards for me!
Glad you made it home safe, I have filled a tank while sitting on the bike before.

The bike was too top heavy for me to fill it while I was sitting on it. I didn't want to lean over to reach the pump. The top rack had about 80 lbs & the top case was about 120 lbs.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 12 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 3:00 pm

All I got to say is Holy Crap

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in