Replace 2002 Instrument Cluster with 2007? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Replace 2002 Instrument Cluster with 2007?

Anyone have experience replacing a 2002 instrument panel with the newer digital 2007+? Physically it will fit but wiring is significantly different.

2002 instrument cluster has a front harness with two connectors (blue and white) plugging into the main box up front and many individual lights and a single connector to the instrument panel. The 2007 instrument cluster wiring comes directly from the main wire harness to two connectors that plug directly into the instrument panel.

After careful review of both 2002 and 2007 main harnesses, and Clymer wiring diagram, they don't match up perfectly (~6 of 32 don't match). Obviously, I had hoped to splice the 2007 instrument connectors onto wires from the 2002 front blue and white plugs and, voila! have a new cluster.

I own a 2002 K1200LT with a replaced 2007 engine/gearbox and ECM. Also have a used 2007 instrument cluster and a 'complete' 2007 main wire harness (loom?). I say 'complete' but the Clymer shows the 2007 with two 8 position fuse boxes whereas my 2002 only has two 4 position fuse boxes. So that concerns me that its not an option to replace the entire 2002 main harness because if the fuse boxes are different, something else probably is too.

Just about ready to give up on this wild-haired project, unless someone has actually done it successfully!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 6:55 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Replace 2002 Instrument Cluster with 2007?

WOW - that would be one very agressive project - like over the winter!

I recommend "Mr. Wizard' - John Zeiler give you a helping hand - he needs another
challenge. Like pulling out the two wiring diagrams and starting to sort out everything
on paper first . . .

Lets see landing lights, central locking system, Mini versus Micro fuses, radio interfaces,
and who knows what changes under the gas tank!!! If I were a betting person I believe no
one has gone here before you.

I am sure the talented and opinionated will follow up up with more posts on the subject

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nope, at least I would not try it. It is quite different on the inside and the software in your radio would most likely not talk to it. Not to mention the rest of the data that it needs. I checked a few and the 05+ has three outputs from the ECU to the dash where the 02 only has one and the ECUs are different. There are most likely more like this.

Oops just re-read your post and saw you have running gear from the 07 including the ECU. This might be possible but you would have to cut into the existing harness and add a few wires. Not sure if the entire loom could be swapped as the ABS units are different. Also so much of this bike is tied together or flows through too many "other" parts.

How is the actuator doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inst_front_full_85.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	36592   Click image for larger version

Name:	inst_rear_full_85.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	36593  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 8:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Nope, at least I would not try it. It is quite different on the inside and the software in your radio would most likely not talk to it. Not to mention the rest of the data that it needs. I checked a few and the 05+ has three outputs from the ECU to the dash where the 02 only has one and the ECUs are different. There are most likely more like this.

Oops just re-read your post and saw you have running gear from the 07 including the ECU. This might be possible but you would have to cut into the existing harness and add a few wires. Not sure if the entire loom could be swapped as the ABS units are different. Also so much of this bike is tied together or flows through too many "other" parts.

How is the actuator doing?
Who needs a whole forum when you have John Zeiler!

While waiting for my Siebenrock fluid-resistant clutch-plate to be delivered from Germany (ordered July 29 and received Sept 12), I decided to cherish the beast and ride her around town before finally putting her up on the lift. (Except when pushing it in 4th gear, the clutch is pretty sound). It was an easy decision to wait to install the newly rebuilt actuator until I put her back together with a new clutch.

But, I made the mistake of searching eBay and at 3am, spotted a newly listed 07 Instrument Cluster for $100. Bam! PayPal!! A week later, I put the bike on the rack, and started on the cluster (pesky clutch can wait!). Pulled the nose and traced the wiring and realized I had another problem. Solution? Ebay and three days later I had a 2007 harness. Great deal (desperate seller) at $75. Thought I could replace the entire wire harness--big job but not insurmountable-- but found (as you quickly explained) that the ABS connectors are different.

Based on your recommendations, I am not going further with the Instrument replacement. Looks like a cluster [email protected]^%#$ to me!

Time for a garage sale. I now have a complete 2002 engine, gearbox, centerstand, misc body parts, 2007 instrument cluster, 2007 wireharness, crashbars...and then there's stuff from my R1150RT.

I'll get the clutch and actuator done and let you know how much I love it!

Thanks again John for all you do to help us here. The forum wouldn't be the same without you!
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Attaching a brief excel listing the differences in wiring between the 02 and 07.

18 Wires had identical descriptions and coloring (per wiring diagram. ie blk/grn would be a black wire with green stripes).

8 Wires from the 02 are "orphaned" although the descriptions appear to match with different coloring on the 07

17 wires from the 07 harness do not directly match (color and desc). Air Temp, Radio Panel, Center Stand, Anti Theft, new Fuse, THREE new motronics, Computer switch, Cruise Control and Alternator appear to be new.

This dog won't hunt.
Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200LT 02 v 07 wire color diff_instrument cluster.xls (31.0 KB, 58 views)
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:48 am

John, If the odometer lives in the motronic and not the panel, I might be up for the panel. Also... please detail what you mean by crash bars. If they are the stock tipover bars, I am interested. Also interested if you have the black and the chrome covers for said tipover bars.

Thanks!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:49 am

Might as well jack that up and slide a whole new bike under there...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am pretty sure that the odometer resides in the dash and not the ECU. On the the newer CAN-Buss BMWs there is one in both the Engine controller and one in the dash controller. Mine got out of sync on my GS and the Odometer started flashing after they changed out the battery under warranty. Then it took them two hours on the old MoDiTec computer to get them synced up again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2018, 4:03 am

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance for my English but I'm Italian, I'm new to the forum because just bought a k-lt first series, I wanted to know if anyone has carried out the project of substitution instrument cluster, I'm very willing to realize the project if you have the wiring to send me I would be very grateful to understand how to relate the work, also because I'm interested only in having the basic instrumentation working, I do not want the radio on the new display. if you can help me I would be very grumpy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in