Old GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Old GPS

Just bought the bike and it has an old GPS unit on it.....from searches I have found out that Garmin doesn't update this model anymore. To begin with it's a very tedious unit, especially with no book, all I have learned on looking addys up is thru trial and error.
My question, the unit will run on batteries or 12VDC, if I put rechargeable batteries in, will they charge. Just thinking if I didn't need to pack some AA's would make things simpler....and me, I like simple and cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Re: Old GPS

Pretty sure that is a StreetPilot III and it will run on batteries. Makes a good door stop too. It will work and get you home, but it is very slow and will frustrate you to death when it recalculates.

Ebay has them for $25.00. Spend $100-200 dollars and get one that you will use and enjoy.

I'm not sure about the rechargeable batteries.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti
Just bought the bike and it has an old GPS unit on it.....from searches I have found out that Garmin doesn't update this model anymore. To begin with it's a very tedious unit, especially with no book, all I have learned on looking addys up is thru trial and error.
My question, the unit will run on batteries or 12VDC, if I put rechargeable batteries in, will they charge. Just thinking if I didn't need to pack some AA's would make things simpler....and me, I like simple and cheap.

I really like my Nuvi 550. Even though it is in the Nuvi series it is advertized as waterproof. I have used mine for a year and a half with no problems. I did buy lifetime maps for it. I think I paid about $220.00

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Super Moderator

This Street Pilot is older than dirt in GPS terms . . . time to move on but if must insist here is
the manual from Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Stree...nersManual.pdf

In its day it was a great unit but it appears that Garmin discontinues its own hardware every
6 months or so!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:39 pm

No the batteries will not re-charge.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 11:05 pm

If you have the cord for it there is no need to use batteries a it will run off the bike battery.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 2:38 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
This Street Pilot is older than dirt in GPS terms . . . time to move on but if must insist here is
the manual from Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Stree...nersManual.pdf

In its day it was a great unit but it appears that Garmin discontinues its own hardware every
6 months or so!!
When did the Street Pilot come out? ...just wondering?
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 2:47 am
Super Moderator

A little Garmin history (more than you wanted to know) of the Street Pilot:

The first Garmin StreetPilot was introduced at CES 1998. It featured a 240x160 black and white screen and a database of nearby services and attractions, with on-screen routing. A revised model with 240x128 color screen, the StreetPilot ColorMap was introduced soon after, adding information on services available at highway exits. The devices used 8MB or 16MB cartridges, onto which mapping data was loaded from the user's computer, at a chosen detail level (8MB covered the Atlanta Metropolitan Area at high detail, or a greater area at highway-level detail).

The successor model was the StreetPilot III in 2002, which had a 3.85" 305x160 color screen and added voice prompts, so that drivers would no longer be required to look at the screen for instructions. It came with 32MB or 128MB (Deluxe model) data cards, on to which the user would load his required mapping, plus a base map featuring major highways.

The 2610, 2620, 2650 and 2660 models were introduced in August 2003, with 3.7" 305x160 color screens, and featured for the first time touch-sensitive screens, as well as a CompactFlash Type II slot. The 2610 and 2650 models were supplied with maps on CD plus a 128MB CF card, while the 2620 and 2660 models had no CDs, because maps were pre-installed on the 2.2GB Microdrive. They also added multi-stop route optimization. The 2650 and 2660 were required to be fitted to the car by a professional installer, and had a reversing light sensor, speed sensor, and angular direction sensor, to boost the system's accuracy, plus dead reckoning capability.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In many ways I like the old Nav III's better than the newer models, especially the toggle wheel that lets you make selections without taking your eyes off the road, and always works unlike some finicky touch screens. The thing eats batteries though. Don't have a cable to connect to your bike? Make it yourself, check here:
http://www.pfranc.com/

Make your own updated maps here:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti

Check for a PM about the BMW manuals and not the Garmin one.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in