I'm sure this issue has been covered before, but thought I would bring it to light again, knowing that a lot of the LT's on the road today are getting pretty old.
A lot of times when I try to figure out what the solution to a problem is I tend to think the worst - but always try to first come back to the simple things that make a motor function properly.
This time I was on the hunt for something that was causing all sorts of issues. The first thing I do to get a "heartbeat" is by reading the plugs. I guess that comes from my history with two strokes. After pulling the plugs and being happy with the color and condition I went to fuel supply. It didn't take a lot of thinking that my fuel filter might be plugged since it hasn't been changed ever,
and this is on my second '01 LT (bought used) with only 30K on the clock. My first LT made it to 140K and was still running strong when I parted with it.
After pulling the suspect filter I found something even more interesting - the very small section of hose that goes from the pump to the filter had a noticeable hole in it, not to mention the entire hose was extremely porous and ready to fall apart. Strangely enough the larger U shaped hose exiting the filter looked good - and could probably have gone quite a bit longer.
Why did the small hose look so bad vs. the larger hose? Pressure! Since the fuel filter was probably at it's minimum flow limits there was MUCH more pressure between the pump and the filter, causing increased HEAT and contributing to the hose degradation. All of this could have been easily assessed up front by doing a simple fuel pressure check - no doubt it would have been very, very low. I would not be surprised if this could cause a pump failure as well since it had to work so much harder - and $366.00 to replace!
My LT now runs like it should and fires up within one second, hot or cold.
Just food for thought - it pays to do your maintenance on a timely basis. ....and, when you hear hoof beats don't go looking for zebras.
(The new set up shows 5/16" hose and standard fi clamps plus a Gates uni-coil. This also saved a whopping $55.86 (numbers 4 and 6 on the attached diagram) for the two OEM hoses.
Just remember to tighten the clamps so that they are just snug.