Hall effect sensor wiring...WTF - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Hall effect sensor wiring...WTF

OK guys, let me preface this by saying that this is not specifically a K1200LT problem. I have attached some pictures of the Hall effect plug going to the Motronics unit on my wife's R1100RSL. I need suggestions on how to fix this. On the way back from the national her bike quit about 325 miles from home in a heavy downpour. I was guessing a coil problem till I tore into it today. I found this wiring where the insulation had fallen off. Apparently in their infinite wisdom the Germans chose to use a spiral wrapped insulation on the individual wires in a shielded cable. The insulation evidently deteriorated and evaporated leaving bare wires for moisture to wreak havoc on her ignition. How do I fix this? So far all I can come up with is liquid paint on tape. Anybody have a suggestion? I refuse to change the entire sensor array and harness because of garbage engineering. That and I am a cheap bastard. Thanks for listening, Robert.

BTW I just invented a new drink....The Black Bush...A Guiness and Busch mixed...not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010754.JPG
Views:	2625
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	36571   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010760.JPG
Views:	4647
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	36572  

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:46 pm

Re: Hall effect sensor wiring...WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
OK guys, let me preface this by saying that this is not specifically a K1200LT problem. I have attached some pictures of the Hall effect plug going to the Motronics unit on my wife's R1100RSL. I need suggestions on how to fix this. On the way back from the national her bike quit about 325 miles from home in a heavy downpour. I was guessing a coil problem till I tore into it today. I found this wiring where the insulation had fallen off. Apparently in their infinite wisdom the Germans chose to use a spiral wrapped insulation on the individual wires in a shielded cable. The insulation evidently deteriorated and evaporated leaving bare wires for moisture to wreak havoc on her ignition. How do I fix this? So far all I can come up with is liquid paint on tape. Anybody have a suggestion? I refuse to change the entire sensor array and harness because of garbage engineering. That and I am a cheap bastard. Thanks for listening, Robert.

BTW I just invented a new drink....The Black Bush...A Guiness and Busch mixed...not bad.
Man that don't look good.
Maybe small shrink tubing?
Course you would have to cut the wires then..not a good idea I guess.
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm

How about using a pin insertion/removal tool to remove the wires from the connector block with the pins still attached... one at a time.

You can the use some very small diameter shrink tubing to re-insuate the conductors. I have a bunch and will be happy to mail some to you.

You can use a very fine pick to compress the tangs and remove the pins. Takes good vision (or a good magnifier) and a fair bit of patience. Not as slick as using the pin tool, but it works.

Here is an idea... ride it up here and I will fix the electrical whilst you adjust my LT's valves!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
How about using a pin insertion/removal tool to remove the wires from the connector block with the pins still attached... one at a time.

You can the use some very small diameter shrink tubing to re-insuate the conductors. I have a bunch and will be happy to mail some to you.

You can use a very fine pick to compress the tangs and remove the pins. Takes good vision (or a good magnifier) and a fair bit of patience. Not as slick as using the pin tool, but it works.

Here is an idea... ride it up here and I will fix the electrical whilst you adjust my LT's valves!

Thanks, Tony. I took the plug apart and could not see how the pins are captured in the main plug. It does not look like a normal plug where you can just depress the locks and remove the wires. I have lots-o-heat-shrink ( about two cubic feet, I do lots of wiring). I would love to come up there but the bike is on the lift naked. (just as ugly as a K1200LT naked...just skinnier).

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #5 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Trade you for a busted FD. No? Ok then. Get some wiring slightly larger gauge than what you have there on the plug. Then strip some pieces off the proper length by cutting the insulation parallel to the wire. Then goop the wires up with a good adhesive and snap the insulation onto the adhesive while it's still wet. Let dry and done.

post #6 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:31 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
...I found this wiring where the insulation had fallen off. Apparently in their infinite wisdom the Germans chose to use a spiral wrapped insulation on the individual wires in a shielded cable. The insulation evidently deteriorated and evaporated leaving bare wires for moisture to wreak havoc on her ignition.
I see deteriorated insulation, but not spiral wrapped. It looks more like the plastic has become brittle after being heated too much and/or too often, so it cracked and has fallen away in chunks.

I would just wrap each with some Scotch 33+ electrical tape, half-lap coverage or so, as best as I could, then maybe one or two turns over all of the wires to keep them from moving around. IF the tape job fails you can re-tape the wires replace the whole shebang...
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 9:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
I see deteriorated insulation, but not spiral wrapped. It looks more like the plastic has become brittle after being heated too much and/or too often, so it cracked and has fallen away in chunks.

I would just wrap each with some Scotch 33+ electrical tape, half-lap coverage or so, as best as I could, then maybe one or two turns over all of the wires to keep them from moving around. IF the tape job fails you can re-tape the wires replace the whole shebang...

Jim, I did not post all the pictures I took. Here's a better one of the spiral wrap.

Thanks, Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010757.JPG
Views:	2589
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	36576  

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Trade you for a busted FD. No? Ok then. Get some wiring slightly larger gauge than what you have there on the plug. Then strip some pieces off the proper length by cutting the insulation parallel to the wire. Then goop the wires up with a good adhesive and snap the insulation onto the adhesive while it's still wet. Let dry and done.

Thanks, Dean. I am sure that I will have my very own (homegrown) busted final drive. That idea may work. The problem that I see is that the entire wire inside the shielding is spiral wrapped also. I am just disgusted by this "engineering". (I know it is a 19 year old bike but I have others 47 years old without these types of problems)
Rant off, Robert.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #9 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:11 am

Robert,
If open this link <http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/oilhead_hall_sensors.pdf> You will find instruction on repairing this kind of failure. You should replace the compete wire since most fail behind the wire clamp just above the alternator dive pulley.You will need some 26ga with teflon insulation to withstand the heat in the engine. I am replacing the entire unit on a buddies 99 rt with a new bosch unit from beemerboneyard. Just over $200 if you used the BMWMOA discount code when checking out.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 11:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

With a little patience, a sharp knife, and some 14/2 house wiring you could make your own spiral wrap for that and install it the same way. Alternating the direction of the spiral wraps on the individual wires should help keep the wires insulated as well.

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 12:07 pm

You're going to need to remove that piece end to end from the bike and replace all the wires with modern teflon coated wire... You can just buy some individual small lengths..

If you can't get the contacts out of the plugs then just cut the wires off leaving maybe 1/2 inch.. Then solder and shrink wrap the connections to the new wires...Then wrap the whole mess in tape or a larger size heat shrink...

Do one side, Srink the individual connections.. Then shrink wrap 2/3 of the bundle leaving enough to work on the other end... Slide an additional piece of the big wrap down to the far end so that soldering the connections won't shrink it... Do your connections on side B and then slide that piece of shrink back over the bundle in the other direction...

Hope that makes sense...

That's just going to leave you stranded again... It's got to be replaced..

If you want to send it to me, I'll rebuild it for you...

You can probably order it from BMW too...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
You're going to need to remove that piece end to end from the bike and replace all the wires with modern teflon coated wire... You can just buy some individual small lengths..

If you can't get the contacts out of the plugs then just cut the wires off leaving maybe 1/2 inch.. Then solder and shrink wrap the connections to the new wires...Then wrap the whole mess in tape or a larger size heat shrink...

Do one side, Srink the individual connections.. Then shrink wrap 2/3 of the bundle leaving enough to work on the other end... Slide an additional piece of the big wrap down to the far end so that soldering the connections won't shrink it... Do your connections on side B and then slide that piece of shrink back over the bundle in the other direction...

Hope that makes sense...

That's just going to leave you stranded again... It's got to be replaced..

If you want to send it to me, I'll rebuild it for you...

You can probably order it from BMW too...

John
Thanks for the offer John. I have just about come to the conclusion that replacement is the best long term option. I do not want the wife stranded anywhere. I guess the Beemer Boneyard with their BMWMOA discount is the best option in the long run. Wife likes her bike and has no desire to change.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Have you thought about using Liquid Tape?

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape

I have used it for several things on my bike. Tech sheet shows it is good up to 200˚ F

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 7:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service...ll_sensors.pdf I have not done this, but if I had problem with the hall effect I would give it a try. It is't too expensive

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in