Headlight lens - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Question Headlight lens

I just noticed I have a tiny hole in my headlight lens, must have been from a rock or something. This hole is about the size of a pencil lead and shows the classic design of a BB shot into glass. Is this a problem? Can I seal the tiny hole with silicone or something? Replace or leave alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:23 am

Re: Headlight lens

i would fill with an epoxy similar to what is used to fix windshield cracks. If that fails, you can always replace it. If it works, you save a house payment.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, that is not a good thing. Eventually it will get bigger or water will get in and that will be the end of the light. Try the patch you were thinking about, but I would be looking on ebay for a replacement.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 9:14 am

Put a little clear aquarium silicone in it and ride on. If it does eventually crack, then worry about it. If not, you just saved hundreds of dollars.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I just noticed I have a tiny hole in my headlight lens, must have been from a rock or something. This hole is about the size of a pencil lead and shows the classic design of a BB shot into glass. Is this a problem? Can I seal the tiny hole with silicone or something? Replace or leave alone?
I would take it to a windshield replace/repair place and have them look at it. I had a K1100LT with several cracks that they repaired. It still had visible cracks but I had no more worries about it crumbling.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #6 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 3:16 pm

It depends on if the piece of glass that chipped out us still there. If there is an actual hole any larger than a pin then windshield crack repair will not work as it is very thin and runny in order that it might slip into tiny cracks. In addition to this, it will turn yellow over time on your headlamp glass if it is used to fill any more than the smallest amount of space.

I had a BB size hole in my lamp, took the lens off and found the little chip inside, I tied to use windshield crack repair to adhere it back in place and it would not hold so I used clear epoxy. I used windshield crack repair to try to repair a crack in my lens (that I installed while trying to remove the lens ) and both the epoxy and the windshield crack repair have turned yellow-ish When I wash the bike or ride in a significant rain a small amount of water vapor will get in the lamp but it doesn't really impact my light output. For now I live with it, but it is starting to irritate me so maybe sooner or later I will actually do something about it.

Bottom line, windshield fix won't work, maybe silicone will, but I would think that would look like poo, but so will yellowed epoxy/windshield crack repair. Sorry to be a downer.
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
It depends on if the piece of glass that chipped out us still there. If there is an actual hole any larger than a pin then windshield crack repair will not work as it is very thin and runny in order that it might slip into tiny cracks. In addition to this, it will turn yellow over time on your headlamp glass if it is used to fill any more than the smallest amount of space.

I had a BB size hole in my lamp, took the lens off and found the little chip inside, I tied to use windshield crack repair to adhere it back in place and it would not hold so I used clear epoxy. I used windshield crack repair to try to repair a crack in my lens (that I installed while trying to remove the lens ) and both the epoxy and the windshield crack repair have turned yellow-ish When I wash the bike or ride in a significant rain a small amount of water vapor will get in the lamp but it doesn't really impact my light output. For now I live with it, but it is starting to irritate me so maybe sooner or later I will actually do something about it.

Bottom line, windshield fix won't work, maybe silicone will, but I would think that would look like poo, but so will yellowed epoxy/windshield crack repair. Sorry to be a downer.
The stuff I'm talking about is UV ray cured. I have had no yellowing in over 10 years.
YMMV

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 2:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
The stuff I'm talking about is UV ray cured. I have had no yellowing in over 10 years.
YMMV

Robert
That's the same stuff I used, not sure why it yellowed, the only thing I can think of is that there was too much of it filling space or the heat from the headlamp, but I would think a windshield of a car would get much hotter than a headlight. I used the stuff in that little syringe that you stick on the windshield and then it sucks the air out of the crack and pressure fills it with the resin. That stuff is pretty runny and will leak through the other side of the hole if it is too large. My lens was off so I was able to cover the backside to fill in the resin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in