BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Shock Service Question

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hmmmm90s 
#1 ·
My Shocks are toast, and require a total rebuild.

<Begin Inspector Columbo Mode>

"You see, there's just one little thing that's bothering me..."

<EndInspector Columbo Mode>

If one pulls both shocks out of the bike, can the bike still stand up? Or do I need to service the damper units one at a time, so there's still a supported wheel for the bike to sit on?

#2 ·
NO, bike WILL NOT stand up on it's own without the shocks in place.
Generally the bikes OEM shocks are NOT serviceable units and get tossed in the garbage once worn out. ( There have been guys who drill body and freshen up oil ... but that is really a crutch fix to an otherwise worn out shocks thats internals cannot be accessed for replacement parts fitment )

WILBERS ;) .... or Ohlins are the route BEST taken for replacement shock/spring units.

Last service I did on shocks supported bike UNDER the engine with a ATV lift holding bike just slightly higher than it normally sets. Safety straps either end back to lift as a stablizer made sure bike did not topple over !!

#3 ·
That's what I was afraid of.

I already have Ohlins on the bike. Due to a series of misadventures - long story - the front Ohlins -- which has never been serviced since new - has about 65k on it.

It NEEDS to be serviced. BAAAD.

My rear shock -- which is a whole bunch easier to get to -- only has maybe 25k on it since it was serviced last. It needs to be serviced, but not as badly.

Net/net is without a crane, I'll need to pull only the front and send it out.

The bike will stand up with the front wheel pulled and the rear wheel and damper in place.

Then, when the front comes back, i can reassemble and then pull the rear wheel and damper. The bike will stand up with the front wheel and damper in place.

Unless someone here owns a set of worthless stock shocks that they want to lend me for bike supports. =8-o

#4 ·
I was able to change both shocks at the same time by having the bike on the center stand and a floor jack under the engine. With the rear shock removed, I could raise the front enough to get the front shock out easily. Replaced the front before putting the rear back on.

Ron

#5 ·
I have a good working rear shock with spring and preload/adjuster that you can borrow while your rear shock is out for service. You will need to install/uninstall one extra time, but at least you will be able to ride.

All I ask is for you to pay shipping both ways. You can pay for shipping from me to you by generating a pre-paid USPS Priority Mail label online, saving as a PDF, and emailing it to me.

PM for address details if you want to borrow the shock.

#6 ·
You can easily pull both shocks without an issue. Just put it on the center stand and put a jack under the engine block.
I have done this many times to service both shocks. The front shock is so much easier to remove with the rear shock out. You can also put a 2x4 under the rear tire so it does not go down too much.
Now remember you will need to take off the front calipers and loosen the front brake lines so they will not over strain and cause a leak.

#8 ·
jzeiler said:
Ditto on the stand and a jack holding the bike up. But only if you have it in a garage away from the wind.
Hey mine has fallen over in the wind more than once and I didn't even have one shock off. I think that the wind and gravity conspire together against all LT's most of the time..... :p

#9 ·
Just use the center stand and a sissor jack, you know the one for your car to hold the bike.

#10 ·
hmmmm90s said:
Unless someone here owns a set of worthless stock shocks that they want to lend me for bike supports. =8-o
I'll make you the same offer Tony (Deputy55211 :wave ) but with both front/rear shocks that are still in working order. I kept them for the purpose of being able to ride while my Ohlins get serviced. Let me know via PM or e-mail.

#11 ·
The group comes through again. ;-)

Sounds like with a tad of forethought, and the right jack ( and maybe a few tie downs ), that both units can come out simultanously with a minimum of aggro. (and danger)

I'm fortunate enough to have a place called ProPilot racing that is only one day away by UPS ground service. They have done the rear unit for me before, and did excellent (and fast) work.

With a little management and coordination, I can make a service reservation at ProPilot, pull the units on a Saturday, and have them back in my hand by Thursday.

I have a weeklong business trip coming up -- I see an opportunity. ;-)

Thanks to those that volunteered use of parts -- doesn't look like i'll need them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.