Shock Service Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Shock Service Question

My Shocks are toast, and require a total rebuild.

<Begin Inspector Columbo Mode>

"You see, there's just one little thing that's bothering me..."

<EndInspector Columbo Mode>

If one pulls both shocks out of the bike, can the bike still stand up? Or do I need to service the damper units one at a time, so there's still a supported wheel for the bike to sit on?

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Re: Shock Service Question

NO, bike WILL NOT stand up on it's own without the shocks in place.
Generally the bikes OEM shocks are NOT serviceable units and get tossed in the garbage once worn out. ( There have been guys who drill body and freshen up oil ... but that is really a crutch fix to an otherwise worn out shocks thats internals cannot be accessed for replacement parts fitment )

WILBERS .... or Ohlins are the route BEST taken for replacement shock/spring units.

Last service I did on shocks supported bike UNDER the engine with a ATV lift holding bike just slightly higher than it normally sets. Safety straps either end back to lift as a stablizer made sure bike did not topple over !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #3 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of.

I already have Ohlins on the bike. Due to a series of misadventures - long story - the front Ohlins -- which has never been serviced since new - has about 65k on it.

It NEEDS to be serviced. BAAAD.

My rear shock -- which is a whole bunch easier to get to -- only has maybe 25k on it since it was serviced last. It needs to be serviced, but not as badly.

Net/net is without a crane, I'll need to pull only the front and send it out.

The bike will stand up with the front wheel pulled and the rear wheel and damper in place.

Then, when the front comes back, i can reassemble and then pull the rear wheel and damper. The bike will stand up with the front wheel and damper in place.

Unless someone here owns a set of worthless stock shocks that they want to lend me for bike supports. =8-o

g.

jefferson, maryland

75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 4:54 pm

I was able to change both shocks at the same time by having the bike on the center stand and a floor jack under the engine. With the rear shock removed, I could raise the front enough to get the front shock out easily. Replaced the front before putting the rear back on.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 4:56 pm

I have a good working rear shock with spring and preload/adjuster that you can borrow while your rear shock is out for service. You will need to install/uninstall one extra time, but at least you will be able to ride.

All I ask is for you to pay shipping both ways. You can pay for shipping from me to you by generating a pre-paid USPS Priority Mail label online, saving as a PDF, and emailing it to me.

PM for address details if you want to borrow the shock.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 5:07 pm

You can easily pull both shocks without an issue. Just put it on the center stand and put a jack under the engine block.
I have done this many times to service both shocks. The front shock is so much easier to remove with the rear shock out. You can also put a 2x4 under the rear tire so it does not go down too much.
Now remember you will need to take off the front calipers and loosen the front brake lines so they will not over strain and cause a leak.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 8:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto on the stand and a jack holding the bike up. But only if you have it in a garage away from the wind.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Ditto on the stand and a jack holding the bike up. But only if you have it in a garage away from the wind.
Hey mine has fallen over in the wind more than once and I didn't even have one shock off. I think that the wind and gravity conspire together against all LT's most of the time.....

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2012, 8:59 am

Just use the center stand and a sissor jack, you know the one for your car to hold the bike.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s
Unless someone here owns a set of worthless stock shocks that they want to lend me for bike supports. =8-o
I'll make you the same offer Tony (Deputy55211 ) but with both front/rear shocks that are still in working order. I kept them for the purpose of being able to ride while my Ohlins get serviced. Let me know via PM or e-mail.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2012, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

The group comes through again. ;-)

Sounds like with a tad of forethought, and the right jack ( and maybe a few tie downs ), that both units can come out simultanously with a minimum of aggro. (and danger)

I'm fortunate enough to have a place called ProPilot racing that is only one day away by UPS ground service. They have done the rear unit for me before, and did excellent (and fast) work.

With a little management and coordination, I can make a service reservation at ProPilot, pull the units on a Saturday, and have them back in my hand by Thursday.

I have a weeklong business trip coming up -- I see an opportunity. ;-)

Thanks to those that volunteered use of parts -- doesn't look like i'll need them.

g.

jefferson, maryland

75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in