I Did It Now! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I Did It Now!

After about 2 years of over-analyzing information on tour bikes, I finally pulled the trigger on an '05 K 1200 LT this past week end. My wife and I want to do more long distance touring and I had it narrowed down to the Harley Ultra-Classic and an LT. Once she sat on an LT, she made up my mind for me. And the best part is, I got my initial tip over out of the way on the ride home. Looking forward to lots of miles and smiles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: I Did It Now!

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:26 am

She'll be happy back there! In over a year my wife has never complained about her seating. She loves the back of our LT.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Garage

I forgot to mention all the valuable information I got from this forum before I made the purchase. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here and looks like a great place to hang out. Thanks!
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:11 am

Welcome.
That's they way I got my LT too. Wife sat on the back, said "oh, you can get one of these".

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:42 am

Good choice, congratulations, always a safe trip.

Manfred
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiusj
After about 2 years of over-analyzing information on tour bikes, I finally pulled the trigger...
Yes! I can tell my wife I am not the only one who talked about doing this for years before actually pulling the trigger

I also received the blessing from the wife when she sat on one at the dealer, seems that BMW had their market research figured out - don't appeal to the rider, appeal to the passenger because that's the one who will allow or disallow the purchase.

Of course after about 2.5 years of hemming and hawing over whether to do it, what year to buy etc I got one, and a month later I got a baby so now my LT is serving as relief duty for my R1200C as a daily commuter, but I did get 1 mini-trip in and it was wonderful.

I would recommend that you start thumbing through your owner's manual (if you have one) and review maintenance items and compare to any records you may have to see what might need to be done (tires, plugs, fluids, filters, etc). Also get your hands on either a Clymer's manual or the BMW service manual to guide you through these things.

Welcome to the club and make sure to use the search function to look for all kinds of information from riding tips to maintenance and farkle accessories. This site is great and it really adds to the enjoyment of an already enjoyable machine.
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:53 am

Welcome to the community, and congrats on the new addition. Happy to have you here.

+1 on what CST said regarding getting a Clymer's and/or BMW service manual. I recommend you get both. There will be times when the difference in style will provide that extra little insight that you need to have you "aha!" moment. DAMHIK

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Welcome to the club and make sure to use the search function to look for all kinds of information from riding tips to maintenance and farkle accessories. This site is great and it really adds to the enjoyment of an already enjoyable machine.
Riding tips! Wish I looked at those BEFORE I dropped it! I assume I'll get used to how heavy this bike is.

My wife is actually pressing me to take a trip to the Smokey Mountains before the season ends. Damn, this is going to be fun!
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Quote:
I forgot to mention all the valuable information I got from this forum before I made the purchase. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here and looks like a great place to hang out. Thanks!

/ humor on / Valuable information from this site? THAT has never happened before

/ humor off / Welcome to the site..

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #11 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Quote:
My wife is actually pressing me to take a trip to the Smokey Mountains before the season ends. Damn, this is going to be fun!
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Welcome.
That's they way I got my LT too. Wife sat on the back, said "oh, you can get one of these".
Thats amazingly similar to what my wife said during her first time on the LT and every subsequent time too. Or maybe it was Dont let it tip. You are going too fast, look out for that (insert appropriate item here) dog, cat, car, truck, airplane, rock 50 yards up the hill, etc. You may also use all these words in combination. Oh, and just in case you forgot our earlier conversation dont let it tip!

You are a lucky man. Enjoy the 2 up ride and dont let it tip too much!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:38 pm

The LT is the only real choice (I think the Victory Vision Tourer might come a close second especially if it was a bit better priced- although it has a different driving posture). I don't even think I'd be interested in the GT (because it doesn't have rear speakers.

If I can't have ABS, Cruise Control, heated grips and seats, 6-CD changer, 4 speaker surround sound music and an adjustable windscreen so I can choose wind in my face or less wind so I can hear the music better... I'd rather be driving.

Now I just need to convince my wife to get on the back coz her complaint (apart for the fact that she's scared when I go fast.... I keep trying to tell her that there's a difference between being unsafe and going fast... anyway...) is that she doesn't like the helmet on her (makes her tired because she finds it a lot of effort when the wind blowing against it). As I'm typing I figured I guess I could keep the windscreen up at full extension when she she's on the back.

Last edited by joseph_p; Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:21 pm.
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 8:34 pm

This is just one more wife story.

I was wanting a motorcycle for the first time in more than 25 years. I took my wife with me when I went to look at two bikes I had seen on the website of the nearest dealer, an RS and an LT. When I pointed out the two bikes, my wife immediately climbed on the back of the LT and said, "I like this one." Game over - It had to be something we would both enjoy and neither of us has been disappointed, ever.

I am sure you will be happy with your LT, too. Welcome to the forum. I am sure it will add to your fun, too.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #15 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 8:05 am

At 65, I've been riding bikes since I turned 16. My dream bike entered my garage about 12 years ago which was a K1200RS. My wife and I rode many miles on this rocket but then wifey said that her back was starting to hurt a little while riding so I said that we can look for a touring bike but my RS is going to stay in this family. We looked around for an LT with low miles and found one about 600 miles from home. We traveled down to look at her and wife loved the looks. She sat on the back and the owner took her for a little ride around the block. My wife said it rode like a dream. Sooooooo, the first time I climbed on the LT was for the ride home. In 40 degree weather, 30 mile-an-hour cross-wind, and pouring rain, I battled the elements. I crossed over the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge with reservations. It turned out to be no big deal crossing, and the bike handled great. I didn't get wet until I had to stop to pay bridge toll. Some 50,000 miles later, the LT is still a great bike for visiting the scenic jewels of this U.S.A. Not the end of Story.

Last edited by Bandman; Sep 19th, 2012 at 8:10 am. Reason: grammar
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 8:13 am

Same story here. The Lovely Bride sat on every different touring bike / sport touring bike I could find in the DFW area, at the end of the day she said "that thing at the BMW place sure was nice". Three years 48K miles (and admittedly a few times cussing her (the LT)) and still going.
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 8:31 am

Isn't it great how a wife actually wants a FLEET of bikes in the stable. Maybe she should look out there every once-in-a-while.
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 20th, 2012, 8:37 am

Congratulations. Enjoy the ride.
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I too just made the big move. I also did a lot of reading before I jumped in. My wife loves the ride. The way I see it, dont feel bad about dropping it. My first ride with my wife on I dropped at a four way stop sign. Some how my right foot ended up under it and had to get help to get out from under it.
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Congratulations and enjoy the LT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in