Broke my throttle cable only 2 miles from home. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Broke my throttle cable only 2 miles from home.

I was almost home when all of a sudden, there was no resistance in the throttle grip. I put on the flashers and waived the cars around as I began the long coast out. Once I was about to stop, I switched to first gear and moved along at a snails pace, then 2nd, then 3rd. Top speed at idle in 3rd is around 15mph....just FYI.

Anyway, I've never replaced the cable and I hear that there's a retrofit now. What is the cable that I need order from the dealer? Is it just the 2005 model, throttle cable assembly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 7:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Broke my throttle cable only 2 miles from home.

Here are the parts to order:

327 376 944 90 - Throttle
327 376 944 91 - Acc. Cable
327 276 919 90 - Repair Kit

466 376 947 28 - Handlebar Cover(optional)

It is not too bad a job just pay attention to how the cables are routed one has a white tag and one has a green tag. In other words don't pull your old ones off until you have the new ones ready to go on. I have some photos I can zip up and send you.

Here is a web site with the photos. https://plus.google.com/photos/10984...wa&gpsrc=pwrd1 They cover the handle bar area but you will have to take your own for the rest of the routing.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 9:57 pm

I changed the throttle cables on my '99 LT last winter. Turns out (AFAIK) you can't even order the old style cables. The new style cables have a different attach mod at the grip with some parts to accommodate the new angle of the cable routing. You have to either buy a new adapted handle bar cover or modify the original cover. Very easy to modify the original cover.

I still have my old cables but I would recommend the new style if you are going to the effort of changing them. PM me if you want the old cables.

I changed mine because my throttle would not snap back to idle. After changing them the throttle snaps back to idle and the cruise control now works flawlessly.

One of the main things on installing the new cables is to have a smooth bend down to the throttle bodies and not to tie them too tight or in too many places. Also make sure to orientate the two cables correctly. After installation of the cables turn the handle bars both ways to make sure the idle speed doesn't change.

It's a little tricky putting the cable ends on to the throttle bodies. You can read about this on the forum. Make sure nothing rubs on the cables and maybe put some new vacuum lines on while your down there. Also get some new "O" rings for the injectors and use "fuel lube" on the "O" rings to make them slide back into place easily.

This is just what worked for me.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. This forum is great.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:52 am

I should have changed mine out on my 2003 years ago...Mine snapped 600 miles from home.....On a Saturday night
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Mine snapped on me too. But I was lucky!

Mine went while the bike was in my garage! I was resetting the Motronic, and on the second or third twist.... SNAP!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

167,000 miles on my 2004 & I have a spare set of cables on the bike for my trip this weekend.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I got lucky. Just the day before, the wife and I went on a 6 hour, 200 mile leisure ride through the Adirondacks. I don't think the bike would have idled up the hills with one, much less two riders...

Chad Albrecht
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had the throttle cables on my 2002 LT replaced with the revised design before we left for CCR this year. Glad I did, as the cable down by the throttles was frayed down to two strands. These cables had been replaced under warranty back when I bought the bike used in 2003 and the bike had 6,000 miles, and they lasted 9 years and 133,000 miles.

Does BMW have a recommended replacement interval for the throttle cables?

Motor On ,/'

Last edited by jkersh1; Sep 19th, 2012 at 3:58 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in