Rounded off Bearing Stud - Suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Rounded off Bearing Stud - Suggestions?

Looks like I have a rear engine seal leak so I decided to tear her down and replace it. I have never taken it down this far but I felt it was time I jumped in. All went well until I tried to break loose the right swing arm bearing stud. It would not break the torque and the stud rounded. I heated it up and tried again but no good. I'm not coming up with a fix. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying hard not to give up just yet.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Rounded off Bearing Stud - Suggestions?

I just ordered the Irwin Nut / Stud extractor set. I'm hoping it is heavy duty enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industri...VZ/ref=lh_ni_t

It comes in tomorrow. I'll let you know.

South Florida

MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Like I said in the phone call. With the exhaust out, the cross member removed and drive shaft pulled it is possible to get the swingarm out with only one pin removed. You are on the right track with the extractors as that is what I have used twice! Better to start out with Saddlemans great 14mm socket. Since I received mine I have yet to find a pin I couldn't remove. Good luck with the oil leak and hope you make it to SMFR in Oct.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:51 am

I probably have a spare bearing stud or two in my parts drawers. Not sure if they are the FD ones, the swingarm ones, or both. If you post a pic with a ruler for size reference, I will see if I can grab the right part(s) for you and post back. If I have them, all I ask is that you email me a pre-paid USPS Priority or Express Mail mailing label (generate at USPS.com and save as PDF). No charge for the part other then the obligation to pay it forward next time you have a surplus part that someone else needs.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 17 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Tony,

As usual you always are there to help. I attached the photo of the pivot pin I need (pretty chewed up isn't it?) which is the right front. I also need to replace the left rear (final drive) pivot if you have one of those. Let me know which if any you have and I will get the Prepaid label out to you. You are a good man.

Thanks
Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-19_13-24-10_21.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	36563   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-21_18-21-26_629.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	36564  

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #6 of 17 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

So the update is that the Erwin extractors worked great. On first try after heating it really well the end of the stud broke off leaving a very short stub left to work with. I ground the stud down a bit to get the extractor to seat well. I pounded with a hammer as I used the breaker bar and it finally released. I couldn't believe it.

I got the transmission out today and am working on fixing several oil leaks with the help of John of course. I'm replacing the rear engine seal, the front and rear tranny seals, and the O ring for the starter. I am replacing the clutch as well.

I was hoping to have it back together for the fall trip to Iron Horse but some of the parts need to be ordered so I will not have it back together in time.

Thanks as usual for the help extended here.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-19_13-24-29_763.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	36565  

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #7 of 17 Old Sep 21st, 2012, 8:29 pm

Holy crap, Norm! That takes chewed up to a whole new level!!

I believe that I have at least one of the parts, see the photo below.

I have more parts, so if these are not what you need, I can dig further.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-18 12.17.33.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	36568  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

LOL. Way past chewed up. I'm lucky to have gotten it out especially after it snapped off. John Zeiler gave me the push to think I could do it and it shocked me when it came loose.

Anyway, yes. You show two of the pivot pin I am looking for (left and right of your photo. I think they are the same). If you could also find the one in the second photo I sent you then you could include that but just that one pivot pin would be perfect. Would it be easier if I send you some cash via paypal? or a check rather than a prepaid label? Whatever works best for you. Let me know and I can get that out today.

This is a huge help and I appreciate it.

Thanks Tony

Norm

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #9 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 11:45 am

I have the pivot pin set aside for you, as well as a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, and I will try to look for the other part when I return later today.

I believe the easiest way is to email the pre-paid label, although I appreciate the offer to send cash/check/paypal/etc. This way there are no fees, no depositing, no transferring, and you know that you paid actual shipping.

You can use your address as sender and recipient, and just check the box near top right of the screen to indicate you sending from another zip code (75070). You can email PDF attachment label to my handle @ aol. Please include my email on the shipping label request so I get tracking updates and know that it got there.

Click, click, click, and Bob's your uncle.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #10 of 17 Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Label Sent. Thanks

Norm

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #11 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

had the same problem when changing clutch .
used a hole saw minus the drill bit and sawed off the flange. the threads came out by hand

post #12 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Tony,

Just curious if you got the part(s) sent out yet? I get the other parts necessary to start putting it back together tomorrow. Let me know how you made out.

Thanks
Norm

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #13 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 9:39 pm

Went out today using your shipping label... You should be able to check it online at USPS.com.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #14 of 17 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks Tony.

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 12:43 pm

I hope you got it by now... Everything go back together without incident?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 7:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

He is on Vacation out of town. His plan was to get as far as he could before he left (29th). Then finish up and try to make the SMFR gathering on the 18th-20th. Last time I spoke to him he didn't have it and that was the 26th. Everything was going well at that point with an engine start test and tranny installed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 17 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRuest
So the update is that the Erwin extractors worked great. On first try after heating it really well the end of the stud broke off leaving a very short stub left to work with. I ground the stud down a bit to get the extractor to seat well. I pounded with a hammer as I used the breaker bar and it finally released. I couldn't believe it.

I got the transmission out today and am working on fixing several oil leaks with the help of John of course. I'm replacing the rear engine seal, the front and rear tranny seals, and the O ring for the starter. I am replacing the clutch as well.

I was hoping to have it back together for the fall trip to Iron Horse but some of the parts need to be ordered so I will not have it back together in time.

Thanks as usual for the help extended here.

Norm
Shoot! You should be able to polish those little scratches out with some emery cloth!

Yipes!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in