Fluid change questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Fluid change questions

Ok so I just replaced my spark plugs and I cannot drive the bike due to winter. I need to change the engine oil, the gear box, and final drive oil. I understand those should be done when at normal operating temperature.

Is it ok just put the bike on the center stand and idle it until warm?

For the gear box and final drive fluid would you have the bike on the center stand and put it in gear and let the rear wheel rotate to warm those fluids up or what?

Thanks again, bear with me as all this is new to me and I do not want to mistreat the LT, maybe I think to much and should just do. Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Sound good, just do it.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtr
Ok so I just replaced my spark plugs and I cannot drive the bike due to winter. I need to change the engine oil, the gear box, and final drive oil. I understand those should be done when at normal operating temperature.

Is it ok just put the bike on the center stand and idle it until warm?

For the gear box and final drive fluid would you have the bike on the center stand and put it in gear and let the rear wheel rotate to warm those fluids up or what?

Thanks again, bear with me as all this is new to me and I do not want to mistreat the LT, maybe I think to much and should just do. Cal
Cal - I don't know what the LT gurus are gonna say, butt if it were me, I'd wait a bit to do those fluid changes until I could git on the road and do a nice warm up ride. Forsaking that, then I'd just go ahead and change 'em without warming up the bike - just open the drain plugs and let 'em drip 'til they don't drip any more. I think one of the purposes of changing the fluids while warm is to allow for as much of the fluid to drain from galleys and crevices as possible, bringing out any crud or smoodge with it, rather than cling there and mix in with the new fluid. In your case, if the bike has been setting for quite a while, most of the fluids have already drained down to the lowest point in the units. Prolly won't be much left if you're garage is not freezing, and you do the change there. While some folks drain the engine oil just thru the filter cover plate, I'd go ahead and use the drain plug in addition. That'll let another coupla tablespoons drain out, given time.

That idling thang, from what I understand, is just not good for this bike and is discouraged by most, including the maker. Keep an eye out for the info to come from the more knowledgeable inhabitants of this asylum - they'll be on here soon!!! Good luck, Cal.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Dick is spot on. No warm up necessary. BMW does not recommend idling the bike

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, folks, but if you put the bike on the center stand, start it, and put it in gear so the rear wheel will rotate, won't that cause an ABS fault ('cause the rear wheel is turning & the front wheel ain't) that only your dealer can clear? If so ... not good.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

both my LTs did not set an ABS fault when run on center stand with bike in gear.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:02 pm

heaterup

When I need to change fluids in the dead of winter. I just use my little electric heater and point it at the crankcase or rear drive or trans and let it warm up for an hour or so and then let it drain for a full day. After all, you're not in a hurry. That'll get it good enough...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 1:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage
If the ABS hasn't finished it's self test (because the front wheel never moves), then there's no fault. If the bike is rolled so that both wheels move, then you run it on the center stand, you'll get the fault.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 9:00 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am with Dick on this. Wait until you can run it up to temp properly. The gunk is at the bottom and if you just heat it up and drain it the gunk is still there in high concentration in that wee bit that won't come out. Better to dilute it through good circulation before draining. Having said that - one time would probably not cause a problem just don't make a habit of it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 1:01 pm

The point of warming things up by riding the bike, is not only related to the temperature of the fluid (sure warmer fluid is less viscous and as such, drains faster), but it's really about getting all of the contaminants suspended in the fluid. When the bikes sits, some contaminents will settle to the bottom and some will adhere to the internal surfaces...unless agitated (by riding) into suspension.

Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in