You got to be kidding, this just to change the air filter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 2:40 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

You got to be kidding, this just to change the air filter?

To top it off, it looks to be brand new , its sitting on the ground . While I've got it this far, going to clean up some wiring, change the coolant and do some more P.M.'s. Looks like my Sunday project is going to extend out a while! Did find out one good thing, the quick disconnects for the fuel lines have already been changed out with the nice metal ones.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Re: You got to be kidding, this just to change the air filter?

Wait till you have to replace the clutch. :-)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 3:00 pm

While you are there you may want to replace the fuel filter as well.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 3:17 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
While you are there you may want to replace the fuel filter as well.
That was one of the items that I was thinking about, now I've got to decide on where to get a few items. Do I go the the local "Stealer" and get it now or mailorder and have a little more down time. The last I went to the "Stealer", I really got taken on plugs to the tune of $13 each.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Order it!!

Just make that first ride that much sweeter!

Why am I here and what day is it??
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRACER

To top it off, it looks to be brand new , its sitting on the ground . While I've got it this far, going to clean up some wiring, change the coolant and do some more P.M.'s. Looks like my Sunday project is going to extend out a while! Did find out one good thing, the quick disconnects for the fuel lines have already been changed out with the nice metal ones.
Yep, I thought the K bike oil filter design was really stupid and then I found out where the air filter was located and realized that they put the smart engineer on the oil filter!

The LT is simply an example of solids modeling run amok. The fuel tank was clearly designed around everything else and made to take up all available remaining volume no matter what shape that resulted in. And no consideration was given to maintenance. As an engineer who had his training pre-CAD and have lived through the transition from drafting tables to 2D CAD to solids modeling/3D CAD, I have seen way too much of this sort of thing. The signature of it is very apparent though.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 5:53 pm

watch the video on changing the air filter on a GL1800

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Gold wing video is scary Not to say that LT is easy but GL is surely complicated.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRACER
That was one of the items that I was thinking about, now I've got to decide on where to get a few items. Do I go the the local "Stealer" and get it now or mailorder and have a little more down time. The last I went to the "Stealer", I really got taken on plugs to the tune of $13 each.
Try this...
I have had been very happy with my tune-up kits from BeemerBoneYard...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Might I recommend ordering a set of metal Quick Disconnects for the fuel lines from BeemerBoneyard before you put everything back together? My QDs failed just as I was putting everything back together, plastic is just not a long-term part for anything.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Ya beat me to the GL1800. Here is the Youtube video. Have fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0mrauHy9uk

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Might I recommend ordering a set of metal Quick Disconnects for the fuel lines from BeemerBoneyard before you put everything back together? My QDs failed just as I was putting everything back together, plastic is just not a long-term part for anything.
I was thinking the same thing. I would also check the hose clamps and hoses inside the fuel tank, the cr p clamps are known to be loose and allow the hose to pop off inside the tank, so I would (and did) replace those (after checking the fuel lines for tiny cracks etc) with proper fuel injection clamps. Hope this helps and good luck!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Quote:
I believe the OP had the good fortune to find metal QDs already on the bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I believe the OP had the good fortune to find metal QDs already on the bike.
Doh! Maybe I should have read the OP a little closer.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:44 am

In that case, my other recommendation would be to clean all the electrical connections and put some electric grease in them so that next time you tear her down it will be easier to get the connections apart and also to protect them from water etc. Also clean up / lube the shift linkage and bleed the brakes while you are that far in.

When you put her back together take plenty of time and look for any places that the Tupperware might vibrate and cause a rattle and rectify them as you go. This is all a good thing as you are getting to know your bike very well, and when you put it all back together you can ride confident that everything is properly functioning and maintained - it's worth it in the end.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 7:02 am

Wink Re: You got to be kidding, this just to change the air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Wait till you have to replace the clutch. :-)
Gonna love the brake fluid flush/change.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 4:09 pm

I went through a similar ordeal after the metal clip that holds the dust cap behind the headlamp bulb came out of its holes. I wound up having to take the upper front fairing off to be able to see the holes and get it back together. The actually fixing of the clip took all of 30 sec once I could see what I was doing. The removal and reinstallation of the body work and windshield too about 6 hours. About 4 hours into the ordeal if one of my neighbors had offered me half a case of cheap beer and a small black cat in exchange for the bike I would have taken it on the spot. I was doing the math in my head to see if I could just trade it straight across for something simpler to work on like an old Vulcan or Shadow.

I will never own a bike with this much bodywork ever again.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc
I went through a similar ordeal after the metal clip that holds the dust cap behind the headlamp bulb came out of its holes. I wound up having to take the upper front fairing off to be able to see the holes and get it back together. The actually fixing of the clip took all of 30 sec once I could see what I was doing. The removal and reinstallation of the body work and windshield too about 6 hours. About 4 hours into the ordeal if one of my neighbors had offered me half a case of cheap beer and a small black cat in exchange for the bike I would have taken it on the spot. I was doing the math in my head to see if I could just trade it straight across for something simpler to work on like an old Vulcan or Shadow.

I will never own a bike with this much bodywork ever again.
That is unfortunate. I'll admit that it is kind of a pain removing and reinstalling all that tupperware but for me the bike is worth it. I do wish they would have designed the tupperware to be able to come off easier or a piece at a time instead of the whole thing, but I don't even know if that would be realistically possible.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Ok guys, having done lots of my own maintainance and then watching the GW air filter replacement. My thoughts toward my next MC is looking stronger toward a GS or GSA. Not as much crap to remove to get to things or if there is then at least you can see it much better.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Quote:
That is unfortunate. I'll admit that it is kind of a pain removing and reinstalling all that tupperware but for me the bike is worth it. I do wish they would have designed the tupperware to be able to come off easier or a piece at a time instead of the whole thing, but I don't even know if that would be realistically possible.
I also wish that things weren't so interlocked, but that's the design. I have given doing my own work on the bike, it is just too frustrating. I have always enjoyed working on my motorcycles but the LT has pretty much destroyed that, now I just use it to commute to save gas money while I save up so that I can get something I can enjoy more.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 7:54 am

Quote:
I buy service kits from BeemerBoneyard and they have yet to disappoint, but I much prefer the QDs fro RacerPartsWholesale.com. Search for 2005 K1200LT Quick Disconnect.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in