Heated seat for '99 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Heated seat for '99 LT?

In '99 BMW did not offer heated seats. I can buy a BMW stock heated seat from someone who has replaced their original with a Sargeant, Corbin or some other aftermarket make. What I don't know is if the wiring harness on the '99 is configured for the seat wiring connections. Do you know? Last year I bought a chrome luggage rack with the break light built in, but there was no wiring harness in the top trunk to connect to. I looked. So I just clipped off the wires to the light. That makes me think there are no lines for the seat, either. What do you think?

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
In '99 BMW did not offer heated seats. I can buy a BMW stock heated seat from someone who has replaced their original with a Sargeant, Corbin or some other aftermarket make. What I don't know is if the wiring harness on the '99 is configured for the seat wiring connections. Do you know? Last year I bought a chrome luggage rack with the break light built in, but there was no wiring harness in the top trunk to connect to. I looked. So I just clipped off the wires to the light. That makes me think there are no lines for the seat, either. What do you think?
Charlie - in '99, it may have depended on what model of LT you bought, butt my '99 seat is heated, along with the grips and the passenger seat and backrest. It's an LT(C) model, with chromy mirrors and saddle bag trim. Just a guess, butt I'd think you have a harness that includes the ability to add heated seats - if not, you might check the site archives for folks who've added heated seats to a '99 LT. I'll check and see if I can find anythang.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Thumbs up 99 Heated Seats

The previous post is correct, only the LT " C" had heated seats, three models were offered the Standard, the Icon and the Custom,

I found this early report of the 99 K1200LT which also mentions the options

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbmw/99k12lt.html

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Charlie - reading thru this thread might help ya a leetle. Hope so.
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhansen
The previous post is correct, only the LT " C" had heated seats, three models were offered the Standard, the Icon and the Custom,

I found this early report of the 99 K1200LT which also mentions the options

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbmw/99k12lt.html
Richard,

Don't believe everything you read. I have a 99 Icon with Soft touch heated seats and back rest. Back then there were a lot of choices that could be made at the dealership. It is my understanding that the Icon and Custom shared the same wiring harness while the Standard was truly bare bones.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Open the seat and look for the connector, a white female just under the top rail on the shift side of the bike.
Bob
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:37 pm

If it's prewired, you'll also see plugs for the passenger seat and backrest on the left side of the fuse box under the passenger seat.

I have a '99 Icon that is NOT prewired for heated seats. Even the fuse socket that should correspond to heated seats is un-wired. It is my understanding that the early '99 Standards and Icons had a different wiring harness than the Custom model. Later in the model year BMW made life simple and began using the same wiring harness for all the trim levels. That's why you see some (non-Custom) '99s that have the plugs and some that don't.

I added a heated driver's seat to my Icon last year. I had found on eBay what was supposed to be the supplemental connector for the heated seat, EXCEPT no one at my local dealership (nor on this list) had any clue where the new harness connected to the bike's wiring!

As a temporary fix, I cobbled up a BMW plug to my seat so that I can plug it into the power socket. It looks kind of funky but it works. I was in Myrtle Beach last weekend and managed to leave my heated seat "on" with the power plug in the front (unswitched) outlet, and drained my battery. That was a reminder to me that I need to find a way to premanently wire my seat to a switched circuit on the bike.

Post a reply when you figure out whether your bike is prewired. If not, sent me a PM and maybe we can think up a solution.
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 2:30 am

Brake light wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCharlie
Last year I bought a chrome luggage rack with the break light built in, but there was no wiring harness in the top trunk to connect to.
Hi Charlie

The brake light wire for the rack may be there after all. On my early 99 it was folded back and attached to the trunk light. Pull the light out and look if there is a set of wires bent over and headed back down the tunnel. There’s not a lot of slack in the wires. Hope this helps.

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
I live in my own little world, but it’s okay they know me here
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Brake Light Harness

Thanks. I did a deep dive into the trunk looking for the wiring harness. No go. I've never looked, but I'm pretty sure I have an early '99. Must be before the factory switched to a more standardize harness.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:49 am

Is it true that on the later LT´s, only the Soft Touch seating have the heating option, this not being available on the standard seating.
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:52 am

Last year I bought a chrome luggage rack with the break light built in, but there was no wiring harness in the top trunk to connect to. I looked. So I just clipped off the wires to the light. That makes me think there are no lines for the seat, either. What do you think?

I also have the 99' and there was no brake light wire to be found anywhere so I ran the wire to the area behind the left side (as you sit on bike) rear speaker and connected it to the brake light wire I found there.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:01 pm

seat

The Custom model came with heated standard model isn't prewired.
Good luck.
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:03 pm

seat

The Custom model came with heated seat standard . If you own an ICON model, it's prewired for heated seats. The STANDARD model isn't prewired.
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Unless it's an early '99 Icon (like mine), which is not prewired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in