Joined tipover club today now got problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Joined tipover club today now got problems

On vacation in Germany with my wife and had my first tipover, luckily is was at 1mph on a gravel surface and nobody hurt. After picking the bike up we went in the adjacent cafe for a coffee, pleased no one hurt and only damage appeared to be a slight mark on the plastic bumper.

My woes didn't end there, upon leaving the cafe we had to climb a slight incline and the bike appeared to bottom out, bit of a clunk and scraping sound, seem ok so off we went, after a few miles I noticed that the right hand indicator was on but wouldn't cancel, I tried all combinations including the hazards which seemed to cure the problem for a few seconds but the right hand indicator started flashing again, none the less decided to plod on till I could find a safe place to park. I also started to notice that it was becoming problematic selecting gears so I stopped at the next pull in.

Turned machine off for a while, restarted it and r/h indicator stayed off, pull out onto the road in first gear went to change to second and got neutral, no matter how much I tried all I could get was first and neutral. Only option call the breakdown service and have it delivered to a BMW Motorrad dealer here in Germany, I don't want to jump to assumptions but all I seemed to get from the mechanic was 'gross' Motorrad, he will look at it tomorrow.

Anyone ad something similar happen to them if so was it easily fixable and at what cost.

Regards

Drooby (newbie to k1200lt)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Joined tipover club today now got problems

Well Andy I see you are sill online.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your misfortune especially being on vacation.
Did it drop on the right or left side?
The shift problem may just be that the shift linkage is loose and needs cleaned and lubed. The ball studs tend to loosen over time if they are not lubed and moving freely.
If that is the only shift problem it will be a very easy fix and may just be a coincidence that it showed up after the tipover.
The turn signal thing I can't help you with.
What year is your LT and how long have you had it?

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 11:16 am

+1 on shift linkage, another option if it went down on the left side is that the shift lever may have been bent slightly, check to make sure that it is clearing the engine cover adequately. My LT had been dropped before I got it and the lever was slightly bent and contacting the engine cover, did not affect down shift but up encountered resistance, tweaked it a little and now shifts smooth.

As for the turn signal, stumped unless there is a wire that got jostled just enough in the tip to make contact at a spot where the insulation is scraped off or a loosened connection.

Good luck!

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2012, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Possibly a weak turn lamp filament that broke when bike thumped over. Are all bulbs operating on right hand side, or is one burned out?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 3:11 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys, am still waiting to hear from the garage, should know in an hour or so.

The bike droped on the right hand side, probably something to do with the right hand indicator staying on?

It is a 2002 model.

Will let you know the outcome.

Andy
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 8:05 am

I bought my 2006 LT used with 1900 miles,, and within 30 days had into the BMW dealer here in Utah with a shift problem ,, hanging up in N and not allowing me to shift into 2 nd,, bit of a pain when it decides to do it 50 miles out on ride.. First trip in the dealer listed NPF or no problem found.. I rode it for 100 miles problem back, 2 nd trip in I told them I had other bikes to ride ( my Harley had 60 k on it as was running fine ) they could keep the LT til they figured it out. I just looked up the warranty repair,, here is what they listed " trans needs shift drum and forks " . After this repair everything has worked perfect for 20k miles..
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2012, 3:38 pm

+1 on checking the shifter ball stud lube and possible interference. As to the signal, it is very possible the plastic housing on the right handle bar it just tweaked a little. The dealer may take the plastic bits apart find nothing and put it back together to find it suddenly works. I had a long term problem with mine where no matter how much the dealer and I lubed and tried to adjust the parts the cancel would stick making it act like there were no turn signals until I pushed the cancel back the other way. Eventually I took it all apart and as I reassembled it I very carefully snugged each screw equally until it was back together. Magic! It seems it was just a matter of too much pressure on one side of the housing. Good luck!

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2012, 5:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, am back home in UK now having travelled up from Southern Germany in a Renault Megane hire car (courtesy of the RAC who have been great). The dealer has claimed its a massive transmission failure and wanted 3500 euros to repair. I told the RAC I didnt trust his assesment (see my first post in this thread) and wanted the bike repatriating to the UK which they have agreed upon.

I'm sure I can get the work done for considerably less than 3500 euros even if it is gearbox failure, which I somehow doubt.

Thanks for your help will keep you updated.
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 11:31 am Thread Starter

As way of an update, just had the bike returned via rac from Germany. This is one special BMW I will tell you because somehow it's managed to repair its terminal gearbox failure whilst on a trailer.....can you believe it, I assume that the mechanic at the garage may have taken the footrest/gear lever off looked at the size of the job and replaced it quoting 3500 euros to repair it. I am going to do some investigation into the gear linkage and am pleased that I'm not looking at a gearbox replacement however if the muppet at the garage had done his job properly I would have been able to finish my holiday on the bike rather than in a Renault Megane.

Can anyone simply explain how to get the footrest/gear lever off please, is it straightforward.

Thanks for your support.

Andy
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Andy,

This Article should help. The little locking clips can be a pain. Once you undo the three bolts and move the plate out a bit you can see the clip on the top end and just lever it around then pull straight out. Then the link will pop off the ball stud.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Super Moderator

Odd - dropping the bike on the right side and having shifting problems does not go hand in
hand. As for the blinking right signal that could be attributed to the drop on the right hand
side and hitting the handle bar controls in some manner.

Is is possible your left foot got caught in the shifter mechanism and you bent some of the
linkage - heavy boots, large feet - as you fell to the right side???

As for total transmission failure - sounds like a dealer trying to maximize profits with minimal
investigation / effort!! I do not believe I have ever heard in the past 10 years of a K1200LT
tipping / falling over and losing a transmission at less than 1 mph!! Of course there is always
the first time and frankly many guys who have issues do not always pop up on line and tell
us of their woes and there are others that never stop!!

Good luck and let us know what happens in the continuing saga!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooby
As way of an update, just had the bike returned via rac from Germany. This is one special BMW I will tell you because somehow it's managed to repair its terminal gearbox failure whilst on a trailer.....can you believe it, I assume that the mechanic at the garage may have taken the footrest/gear lever off looked at the size of the job and replaced it quoting 3500 euros to repair it. I am going to do some investigation into the gear linkage and am pleased that I'm not looking at a gearbox replacement however if the muppet at the garage had done his job properly I would have been able to finish my holiday on the bike rather than in a Renault Megane.

Can anyone simply explain how to get the footrest/gear lever off please, is it straightforward.

Thanks for your support.

Andy
You got a good one! Not many self heal something as serious as a 3500 Euro gear box. What a scheister the mechanic was.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in