CAN-BUS vs. Charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Question CAN-BUS vs. Charger

Is there any truth in the statement that one should not/cannot use a regular charger on a BMW with the can-bus system, while the battery is "hooked-up" to the bike?

I guess the local dealer here had a "battery session" last weekend and told the participants that they needed a BMW charger if they wanted to charge the battery directly in the bike.

Personally I never liked the BMW charger(s) and prefer my Opti-Mate and CTEK chargers, which works fine for my -01. It sounds like a Sunday morning story to me :-)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Stefan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Wait for others to reply here, Stefan, but it's my understanding that if you go directly onto the battery terminals with your charger, you can use non-CANBUS chargers. You only need a CANBUS charger if you want to charge thru one of the 12 volt accessory sockets on the bike.

Is this right, guys ???

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:34 pm

With the can bus system you got to turn key on plug charger into power point turn charger on then key off.............Regards Pete

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:09 pm
Hog

On my GS i hooked a pig tail right from the battery,so i could plug my charger in to it, works fine. I did'nt want to spend a hundred dollars on another battery charger when i allready had two.
Dave in Reno
05R1200GS
05K1200LT
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog
On my GS i hooked a pig tail right from the battery,so i could plug my charger in to it, works fine. I did'nt want to spend a hundred dollars on another battery charger when i allready had two.
Dave in Reno
05R1200GS
05K1200LT
Me too!

(I luv doing that )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in