HELP Cockpit Storage Comp. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:35 pm Thread Starter
ajs

HELP Cockpit Storage Comp.

Just took delivery of an '05 LT on Friday and learning how to operate various systems and functions on the bike. One of the first to give me fits is to open the cockpit storage comp. I have tried every possible key position but am unable to get it to open. I don't think the remote security lock system is on because I can open all other locks with the key. Is there some kind of 'special' method or am I just plain missing something. Help before I break something.!!

Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:50 pm
TMH

So you are able to get the key to turn in the lock? On my '02 it does seem like one key works better than the other, and the "bad" key works better when the key goes into the lock one way versus the other.

But if the key is turning the lock cylinder, then see above. I don't know how the newer bikes work with their keyless entry, but on the older bikes the lock cylinder has to turn 90 deg. My (limited) understanding of the keyless entry systems is that you can use the key, but only turn it 45 deg.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:53 pm

cockpit storage

I have a 05 Lt that I have the same problem with at times. What I have found be sure it is unlocked with the key. Turn the key all the way to the right or clockwise. This should be in the unlock position. The area that you press down on to open it hit it with your fist real hard. It will snap open. Mine will open ok but ever so often it will not open. I have sprayed it with lubricant but it will still do this at times. Just hit the area with you hand I think it will open.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 3:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you do get it open - pull the little center cover and check the torx screw holding the left side of the stingray just below the latch. It MUST be a short screw or it interferes with the electric lock actuator. i.e. it won't unlock!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Same problem, this will work. Make sure the key is in the unlock position, lock the bike with remote, hold a very light pressure on the key slot & hit the unlock button on the remote. If you press to hard it won't work.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
ajs

HELP Cockpit Storage Comp.

Thanks for the help fellas. The suggestion from Big_E worked just fine, and I didn't break anything. I have left the comp. open for now until I get a chance to check it out further. Thanks again to all, and especially to Big_E. Stay tuned though, I will probably be looking for more help later.

Austin
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:38 pm

You can still use it, there is no fix for. Mine worked perfect for a year then started this. A new lock might work for little while but, you might as well get used to the new opening procedure. The remote just slides a piece of metal under the latch to look it, when it unlocks the piece bounces back, the slight pressure stops it from bouncing back. Punching it hard will open it, that's what I did until the dealer showed me the breakdown on how it works.
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Hatch lock malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
You can still use it, there is no fix for. Mine worked perfect for a year then started this. A new lock might work for little while but, you might as well get used to the new opening procedure. The remote just slides a piece of metal under the latch to look it, when it unlocks the piece bounces back, the slight pressure stops it from bouncing back. Punching it hard will open it, that's what I did until the dealer showed me the breakdown on how it works.
For what it's worth... mine did the same thing and the shop couldn't fix it so I monkeyed with it for hours. As it turns out, for mine, the two torx screws on either side of the button were to tight so I unscrewed them, then tighted each one a turn, then locked and unlocked the bike. I repeated this until I could tighted the torx screws and still have the hatch open and close. Sounds crazy but this is what worked for me. I seems to me that the lock gets twisted somehow.

Cheers, Bill
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:20 am

I dont know about all that hitting and banging the key/button but if mine does not open easily even after using the remote to lock/unlock to make sure it is unlocked I just press down on the door with a couple of fingers of one hand and push the button with the other. The door spring holds enough pressure to make unlocking difficult. This should get better and easier after about 5 years of use. Another over engineered BMW part--much better IMHOP than the flimsey stuff found on Gold Wings.
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
I have a 05 Lt that I have the same problem with at times. What I have found be sure it is unlocked with the key. Turn the key all the way to the right or clockwise. This should be in the unlock position. The area that you press down on to open it hit it with your fist real hard. It will snap open. Mine will open ok but ever so often it will not open. I have sprayed it with lubricant but it will still do this at times. Just hit the area with you hand I think it will open.
Exact same experience here with my '05. Now I can't wait to get home (at work now, with the bike -- YES!) and try a couple of the solutions already posted. Thanks guys!

I have had more than one strange look from passers-by in a parking lot as I karate-chop the @#$% lock mechanism trying to get it open. Told the dealer about it; they sprayed some lubricant into the lock but it had no effect. Now I know why.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:18 am

What BillC said.. if the screws by the lock are just a little too long they cause the internals of the lock to bind. I installed shorter screws and never had another problem.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in