Oh no... What did I do? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Talking Oh no... What did I do?

Well... buying my '03 LT on eBay and riding it back from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles gave Kathy the virus. Now she wants a bike too and set her sights on a used BMW F650.
After lurking on eBay she found a couple of machines she likes and being the gentleman I am... well you guessed it I will riding it back for her from wherever the scoot happens to live.
How do you spell road-trip again???
Of course the F650 is no LT... but hey, it comes with heated grips!!!
Gerbing to the rescue once again I suppose since the bikes we are looking at are in TN, UT, or CO and the leetle thing we call a fairing on the LT is composed mostly of a mosquito catcher on the F650. Thank goodness for the power plug on those machines.
Anyone with experience riding interstate in our current weather on the F650?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Well... buying my '03 LT on eBay and riding it back from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles gave Kathy the virus. Now she wants a bike too and set her sights on a used BMW F650.
After lurking on eBay she found a couple of machines she likes and being the gentleman I am... well you guessed it I will riding it back for her from wherever the scoot happens to live.
Gerbing to the rescue once again I suppose since the bikes we are looking at are in TN, UT, or CO and the leetle thing we call a fairing on the LT is composed mostly of a mosquito catcher on the F650. Thank goodness for the power plug on those machines.
Don't know about weather, but I know two people with F650's, one of them a Dakar, and they both ride the heck out of them. VERY capable of doing the interstates long distances at ticket warranting speeds. One of the riders here has the 650, a K1200 RS (the older one), and a GS adventure. He still rides all three.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 3:00 pm
TMH

I've only taken an F650 on pretty short rides, but I was happy with the amount of power it had on the freeway.

But be prepared for the buffeting that your body will have to endure, and understand that this may tire you much more significantly than on the LT. I would plan for lower mileage days.

Can anyone who has an F650 comment on the capabilities of the stock headlight at night? This would be something good to know before your ride starts.

Also since the seats is not as wide/plush, I would bring along some sort of seat pad, perhaps an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad at the least.

Use some gloves which have some significant padding in the palms. The F650 will definitely be buzzy at highway speeds, and this may well become an issue over a whole day of riding.

Do the bikes you are looking at have saddlebags? If not, then understand what the capabilities/capacities of the tail rack are, and get an appropriate (and waterproof) bag to secure to the rack. Perhaps also a backpack?

I think that you already did this with your LT, but try to work out with the seller having a full service and inspection performed before you pick the bike up so that it has the highest probability of making it home without issues. Either that or make an appointment with a BMW shop somewhere early in your route home.

This can be variable with used bikes, but understand from the seller whether it comes with its original toolkit, and whether it is complete. If not then bring along what it is lacking, or stop at the first Walmart you come across and pick up what you need, before you need it in the middle of nowhere.

Be careful: Once that "cross country vehicle purchasing" bug bites it can be pretty addictive!

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 5:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
...but hey, it comes with heated grips!!!
About this time last year, I bought an R1100GS on ebay and rode it back to Arizona from Ohio. The weather was rainy, cloudy, and windy for most of the way. The Givi fairing the GS wears looks similar to the F650's. It does deflect the bulk of the wind blast up to about the top of my helmet and out to my shoulder blades, but it no LT for sure. I came to a real good understanding of why my 'stich had stayed so relatively clean in 40k miles on the LT.

The 650 is also similar in lack of protection on your legs maybe worse because the boxers aren't there to provide any cover. Not unbearable, but I pack a set of long johns now, or mount a set of panniers over the gas tank if I expect the weather or temps to turn. And make sure I tuck my jeans inside my boots.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
The weather was rainy, cloudy, and windy for most of the way.
I am OK with that as long as I don't hit snow and/or ice...
My last trip from PA to CA caused me to buy some nice and warm gear, including a Gerbing heated jacket liner in addition to the heated pants Jeff lent me.
The thing is that I don't know yet where I will pick the bike up, although I suspect it might be in TN.
Thanks for all the tips...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #6 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:53 pm

First, I'm glad that you had a safe trip back to California. I would suggest that you and the wife may want to check out the BMW F650-CS model. It is more of a street bike and has lots of available accessories and equipment. You can even get a GPS on the thing! I am glad that you both have the fever and I wish you both many miles of happy riding!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
First, I'm glad that you had a safe trip back to California. I would suggest that you and the wife may want to check out the BMW F650-CS model. It is more of a street bike and has lots of available accessories and equipment. You can even get a GPS on the thing! I am glad that you both have the fever and I wish you both many miles of happy riding!
Thanks Dave! The street version is what we are looking at since neither of us is really interested in off-road. Kathy's 6 mile commute takes over an hour on the west side of Los Angeles, which is the main reason for the new bike... Well... kinda. We have to somehow "justify" getting the bike... but we all know it is a virus!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #8 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Rode a 650 GS for awhile. Fun bike, but not on the freeway for long distances. Seat was extremely uncomfortable after about 90 minutes or so. Great fun on backroads and minor offroad. Personally, I would not want to ride one from Colorado to PA, but hey, it would make a great story. Perfect bike for your bride. Good luck.
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humplatch
Rode a 650 GS for awhile. Fun bike, but not on the freeway for long distances. Seat was extremely uncomfortable after about 90 minutes or so. Great fun on backroads and minor offroad. Personally, I would not want to ride one from Colorado to PA, but hey, it would make a great story. Perfect bike for your bride. Good luck.
The bike I am looking at has a Corbin seat installed. The bike version is the CS, more designed for the road than off-road. As far as riding it back from TN to CA... I'll do what it takes! I sure will miss riding my LT...
But that will make the leetle woman (at 5'9" ) happy!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #10 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 6:57 am

Back in Tennessee?

Quote:
The bike I am looking at has a Corbin seat installed. The bike version is the CS, more designed for the road than off-road. As far as riding it back from TN to CA... I'll do what it takes! I sure will miss riding my LT...
But that will make the leetle woman (at 5'9" ) happy!

Gilles, you gonna' be back in Tennessee?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Last edited by pkpr1998; Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:04 am.
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 7:27 am

Quote:

The 650 GS will do just fine, not to worry about it at all, there are several ldriders that use that bike for a mount, my boss has one as well the charging system will be your only issue and should do fine with a heated jacket and pants but not if anythingmore than that.

the gas mileage will be great! when my boss rides with me and we fill up he uses about 1.5 gl less than I do on every gas stop

BTW the chain gang has a nice web site
http://f650.com/website/

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 7:52 am

My son has a 650 CS and he loves it. He rides anywhere he wants to go, the biggest problem is if we go together he thinks that I drive too fast. So, with this in mind your speed will be around 60-65 instead of, well you get the picture. The bike will cruise at 80 all day long, but will be more comfortable at slower speed. Check into after market windshield quickly. I think Aeroflow and Cee Bailey both make shields for the CS. Good Luck and ride safe.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Yes brett, I just might...
Not a done deal yet, but I'll let you know.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #14 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:43 am
TMH

Have You Guys Looked at a Wee Strom?

I was just doing my morning check of the ADV Rider site, and thought about your post. I have heard pretty good things about the Suz VStroms, and many say that the DL650 is even better than the DL1000. I test rode a DL1000 once when I was looking at a dualsport, but it wasn't the bike for me. A little too light for my preferences. But I know that not everyone is 6'4" tall and weighs 250#!

Also, I think that both of the Stroms are a little taller than the F650's, and I don't know about their capabilities for lowering the bike/seat height. But they are priced well, and have gotten great reviews from their owners. Plus they have one up at Santa Cruz BMW: A really good shop, and the shop where I purchased my LT. Here is a link to it:
http://bmwscruz.com/motorcycles/owne...SuzVstrom.html
A 2005 listed at less than $4900, and they deal at this shop!

Just a thought. I know that it is not a BMW, but I also know that I looked seriously at them. Plus if you want to check out the one at Santa Cruz, you are welcome to fly up the night before and stay at our house. I am about 40 miles from the shop, and it is a nice ride/drive over there.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Tom, I did consider the V-Strom650 but thay are newer and therefore a little pricier than what we are looking for, although if a dreat deal comes along...
Thanks for the offer of hospitality.
Are you going to Cambria on April 23-24?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Back in Tennessee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Hi Brett, I am coming back to Tennessee to pick up Kathy's "new" 97 F650.
The bike is in Lynnville, about 50 miles from Nashville airport.
Haven't made travel plans yet but I would like to see you guys again! Then back to los Angeles on the leettle scoot that could!!!
I am looking at 10-15 days from now. Will it be Summer yet in TN?
Maybe on the way through TX I can buy Bo dinner this time. My route will be very similar to my last one, except that I begin in TN and not in PA. Saves me about a day's ride! Too bad too! I could have met with Mike also!!!

We are very excited about the new addition to our ever growing motorcycle herd!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:
Now she wants a bike too
Wow, you are lucky that your wife wants to ride and be with you. I am in the same boat but I have a handfull of friends that their wives do not want to ride, or even follow in a car. No camping, bugs, rain, cold, heat. The guys do one thing and the ladies do another. I think it's great to spend time with my wife on something we both enjoy.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Bring your bad self on!

Quote:
Hi Brett, I am coming back to Tennessee to pick up Kathy's "new" 97 F650.
The bike is in Lynnville, about 50 miles from Nashville airport.
Haven't made travel plans yet but I would like to see you guys again! Then back to los Angeles on the leettle scoot that could!!!
I am looking at 10-15 days from now. Will it be Summer yet in TN?
Maybe on the way through TX I can buy Bo dinner this time. My route will be very similar to my last one, except that I begin in TN and not in PA. Saves me about a day's ride! Too bad too! I could have met with Mike also!!!

We are very excited about the new addition to our ever growing motorcycle herd!!!
Well, the weather here has been great, temps in the mid to upper 70s.
Let me know what your plans are.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in