Highway road hazzard, bent front rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Highway road hazzard, bent front rim

Hello fellow K bike riders,

With all of the heavy truck traffic and crap left in the back of open bed pick up trucks and any number of things fall off them, here in Birmingham, you're bound to have something happen.

I left work today after explaining to someone in the parking deck why I was suiting up for the ride home. (ATGATT). I almost put the new Olympia gear and the new Arai to the test today.

I got out on I-20 here in downtown Birmingham near the airport and I was in the left lane traveling about 60 mph about 3 car lengths behind another car. I took my left hand off the left handlebar to change a channel on the radio, then WHAM!

What ever I hit was yellow and hard, I barely saw it a split second before I hit it. As I hit this thing, the force of the impact rang all the way up to my right shoulder and yanked what little grip I had on the left handlebar while changing stations. ( I still think the radio controls are too spread out ). I saw whatever I hit, fly across other lanes to my right. I think it was a tire chock used on a big truck when its parked. The bike didn't loose tire pressure and didn't feel funny. I pulled over a little way down the road to check things out. I looked at the tire for damage and quickly looked at the rim from the right side of the bike and didn't notice anything at first.

After finishing my errands, I parked it in the garage on the center stand. I just happened to look back at the LT from across the garage and noticed the left side of the rim has a flat spot in it. It doesn't seem to be bent on the right side.

This is the first time I have bent a rim on a motorcycle in 21 years of riding on or off road. I know its a BMW thing with their soft rims, but I am impressed how well the LT took the hit. The day I bought my LT, another LT came in where the owner hit a hunk of concrete on the other side of town in a similar manner. It blew out the tire and badly damaged the rim, but he was able to continue riding until he got past the construction barriers.

Does anyone know how much this rim will cost to replace? I already have a new front tire waiting for me at the dealer.

How is this covered under insurance if at all and is it worth making a claim? I have Geico Motorcycle full coverage.

Any other items to check, bushings, ball joint, front shock, head bearings, etc.?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dave Allen
2005 K1200LT, Graphite, XMXT, Xenon, Motolights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:58 am

Sorry for your accident Dave. At least you didn't get knocked down!

I had a close call last week as well. The wife and I rode the bike from NC to St. Augustine, Fl. We got to Jacksonville at about 3 pm. We were on I-95 in bumper to bumper traffic. The car in front of me ran over a step ladder. With it bouncing in both directions I didn't know which way to dodge! For no other reason than good luck we missed it. I backed off of traffic a little at this point. But that doesn't do nothing but encourage someone to get in front of you in that kind of traffic.

Good luck with your repairs.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Well, I brought the LT to the dealer this morning to get an estimate. The staff at Bogarts Motorsports were very helpfull with getting everything sorted out.

I ended up making a claim on my insurance, my first since 1989. Geico Motorcycle was extremely professional. It took 15 minutes to take down my information to start a claim. They had an adjuster at the dealership within an hour after I called! This incredible response time impressed me and the staff at Bogart's. The estimate came to $1050.00 for a rim, tire, bearings and labor swapping everything over to the new rim. Geico had a check cut - the deductible an hour after his visit. No hassle what so ever.

I went back to the scene today to look for what I hit. I found it, part of a tie down strap for a flat bed semi, with a 3/8" thick J hook at the end. I'm amazed it didn't slice the tire wide open. I'm lucky and happy I didn't go down.

I now have a tire and wheel protection plan which covers the LT for 5 years and is transferable, no deductible from Safe Gaurd.

Thanks to everyone that e-mailed suggestions to get this handled.

David Allen
2005 K1200LT, Graphite, XMXT, Xenon, Motolights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Damage 004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	2799   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Damage 012.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	2800   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Damage 009.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	2801   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT Damage 011.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	2802  

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:13 pm

How much presure do you carry in the tires? They look like my first set I had the presure at 36 and they scalloped very bad by 1500 mi. Now I keep them at 42/48 and very little scalloping in 5k mi. Glad you ok.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 1:22 am

David I had a similar experience with a pot hole, knocked the mirrors off, first time, and I looked at the wheel and could not see any thing wrong, no vibration. Later installed new tires and while on spin balancer the warped wheel and flat spot became very obvious. I found a used wheel on this site for $230. I should install it shortly. I also was amazed that I did not lose tire pressure.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 2:29 am Thread Starter

dmatson,

I too originally kept my front at 36 and the tire feathered out about 1500 miles also with a lot of 2 up riding. Once they start feathering thats the way they will be until they wear out. I bumped up the pressures to 42/48 where the feathering didn't get any worse. I'm really hard on the brakes at times which doesn't help the feathering issue at any pressure.

The tire in the picture has 7736 miles on it, no change in handling, just really loud. I had an appointment to have the tire changed on the April 8th before this mishap. I will be putting the original Bridgestone "B"s back on it, I love them in the rain. Grip is way more important to me than mileage. The price of these tires are reasonably inexpensive compared to other bikes I've owned.

i've always have known that aluminum rims will more likely hang on to their bead after a major impact far more than a steel rim. I'm not sure how I feel about a straightened rim on a motorcycle, mainly a safety concern.

Dave
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 3:49 am

Sorry to hear about your wheel problems.

I know how difficult it is to try to keep a safe following distance in todayís traffic. Iíve even had people slow down to cut in front of me because they just cannot stand to see people driving safely. However I consider it paramount. At 60 mph a vehicle travels about 84 feet per second. Using the 2 second rule a person should be following at 168 feet. 3 car lengths is about 45 feet. Thatís about Ĺ second of following distance; hardly enough to even see a problem leastwise have a chance to react. It seems that you were lucky this time. What may happen next time is anybodyís guess.

Many cagers drive SUVs because they say that they have a larger margin of safety in a crash. I once saw a special where an industry expert stated that the real reason so many people choose SUVs is the intimidation factor. A motorcycle is never safe in a crash, so our margin of safety is solely between our ears.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Following Distance

Mkiesel,

This thread can be moved to the chit chat if possible...

Just to clarify, the 3 car lengths I was referring to was the amount of cages and their following distances combined in the lane next to me. You could have put a semi in between me and the car I was following with plenty of space to spare. I always follow better than the 2 second rule and lengthen that time the faster I travel. My problem was taking my eyes off the road for a split second to find the radio control button which is so far inboard on the LT and not being able to push hard on the left handle bar to avoid the object. My old GL1800 was just a thumb flick for the volume, channel, CD track, CB volume, etc., never had to take my hand off the grip.

If I saw it and had the room to do a panic stop, I probably could have stopped before I hit it, but I assure you the Half Ton Silverado following me would have run me over.

It is tough to keep a safe following distance in rush hour traffic, but I do it anyway. I have been tapped before from cages following too close and being shocked how well motorcycles stop.

We must all maintain an out.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in