Highway road hazzard, bent front rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Highway road hazzard, bent front rim

Hello fello K bike riders,

With all of the heavy truck traffic and crap left in the back of open bed pick up trucks and any number of things fall off them, here in Birmingham, you're bound to have something happen.

I left work today after explaining to someone in the parking deck why I was suiting up for the ride home. (ATGATT). I almost put the new Olympia gear and the new Arai to the test today.

I got out on I-20 here in downtown Birmingham near the airport and I was in the left lane traveling about 60 mph about 3 car lengths behind another car. I took my left hand off the left handlebar to change a channel on the radio, then WHAM!

What ever I hit was yellow and hard, I barely saw it a split second before I hit it. As I hit this thing, the force of the impact rang all the way up to my right shoulder and yanked what little grip I had on the left handlebar while changing stations. ( I still think the radio controls are too spread out ). I saw whatever I hit, fly across other lanes to my right. I think it was a tire chock used on a big truck when its parked. The bike didn't loose tire pressure and didn't feel funny. I pulled over a little way down the road to check things out. I looked at the tire for damage and quickly looked at the rim from the right side of the bike and didn't notice anything at first.

After finishing my errands, I parked it in the garage on the center stand. I just happened to look back at the LT from across the garage and noticed the left side of the rim has a flat spot in it. It doesn't seem to be bent on the right side.

This is the first time I have bent a rim on a motorcycle in 21 years of riding on or off road. I know its a BMW thing with their soft rims, but I am impressed how well the LT took the hit. The day I bought my LT, another LT came in where the owner hit a hunk of concrete on the other side of town in a similar manner. It blew out the tire and badly damaged the rim, but he was able to continue riding until he got past the construction barriers.

Does anyone know how much this rim will cost to replace? I already have a new front tire waiting for me at the dealer.

How is this covered under insurance if at all and is it worth making a claim? I have Geico Motorcycle full coverage.

Any other items to check, bushings, ball joint, front shock, head bearings, etc.?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dave Allen
2005 K1200LT, Graphite, XMXT, Xenon, Motolights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in