Any material difference between a 2000 custom and a 2003 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Any material difference between a 2000 custom and a 2003 lt

Hi all,
My first post, just been lurking and absorbing data while shopping for a used LT.
I am looking at 2 bikes both in similar (good to excellent) condition. Both priced the same and about what I want to spend. 03 has 48k, salvage title due to theft recovery, bought in Germany and driven all over Europe and I assume, serviced there, but no records. 00 has 68k clean title and known local dealer service history. I am a mechanic and am not worried too much about the inherent mechanical issues but rather any improvements, design features or options not available on the 2000 that were added in 03 that I may want later.
Thanks to all who have pioneered problem solving which has already made my experience easier. Any information or opinions about these bikes would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Re: Any material difference between a 2000 custom and a 2003 lt

The 03 LT has updated final drive bearing that have few failures compared to 99 through 02 models. Also starting with 02 models the brakes are servo assist abs . Those are main two differences. Good luck with your shopping and purchase.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:56 pm

This thread should give you relevant information:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ht=2000+models

I fouund it by searching with "2000 models"

aA big differance between those years is the braking system. The 03 has the front and rear brakes linked while the 00's brakes are not linked.

If you scan through the site you will find a few LTs with over 100K.

Both of those bikes should have had the stock shocks replaced. The one with 68K might be on it;s second set?

I mention the shocks because replacing them can easily go over $1000 touching $1500 some times.

If you get on her hard in 5th gear that will give you a pretty good idea if the clutch is slipping.

With both of those bikes the stock low beam totally inadequate.

If either of those still have rubber brake lines it's a good idea to replace them with stainkee steel ones.

Come to think of it this thread will give you info on 2000s:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...light=becketma

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 12:00 am

Wink Re: Any material difference between a 2000 custom and a 2003 lt

On the subject of servo assisted brakes, although they are considered an improvement by many, there are many of us folks with the older ABS II non-servo type brakes who are very happy to not have the servo type. The brake flushing and bleeding is a breeze on the older ones, and you still have all the advantages of ABS, just no servo whining at you all the time!

Plus the 2000 model sounds like it has a better, or at least accessible maintenance history, which can be important.

Just my $.02!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
The 03 LT has updated final drive bearing that have few failures compared to 99 through 02 models. Also starting with 02 models the brakes are servo assist abs . Those are main two differences. Good luck with your shopping and purchase.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:03 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The bearing did not change (except for production shortages) all years use the same one. the process for installation did change making the later years more reliable.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:06 am

K1200lt Speakers Cutting Out

Could someone explain to me how to post an issue on the site? I would really appreciate the help.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:14 am

I really like the simpler braking system on my 2000. I've assisted on a pre-emptive final drive rebuild and shift linkage; add starter relay [using oem relay as pilot relay]; ss brake lines; HID low beam lamp; back rest; passenger arm rests [we're old] and a buncha' other little things to up my bikes reliability. I prefer it to a newer bike, although, when you drop that damn thing at a stop sign or light...you may wish you'd gotten the newer bike [steering geometry is a little different to kinda' counteract the bikes tendency to take a dump if you're using the front brake at slow speed with any turn at all.]

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: K1200lt Speakers Cutting Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld49
Could someone explain to me how to post an issue on the site? I would really appreciate the help.
Easy-peezy!

Go to FORUMS at the top of this page. Select the forum that best describes your topic, click and look for the tab at the upper left that says "New Thread" Click and start your ISSUE

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 8:08 pm

I prefer the 2000 over the 2003 because of the braking system, independant instead of linked, if the abs pump goes out on the 03, it is muy expensive, and your brakes are shitty without it, on the 00, brakes work with or without it...better with tho, abs rocks when a deer steps out in front of you....at 68k, if the final drive was going to be an issue, it already was....other than that, as far as the bikes go, there isn't much difference until you get to 05 and later...good luck

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in