Mainainence on my Horse - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Mainainence on my Horse

I call my LT "Silver" like the lone rangers horse. It feels like a well mannered horse full of power and control.
I want to maintain the bike the way it needs but without any idea of a maintainance schedule I am at a loss. The previous owner did the full 36k on it before I got it. I have put over 2k on it in a month. What is next? I check the oil and brake/clutch fluids, look after the brake pads, just had BMW put two new tires on the bike and I ride it every chance I get.
When do I change oil and what about the other fluids? Dealer said oil once a year??? I didnt think that was wise but I figured I would put it to the group and see what real life LT riders say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Mainainence on my Horse

Here is a place to start, go to the top of the page, select files, select technical. In there you will find the maintenance schedule you are looking for. here

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

bv
Quote:
Originally Posted by willcanada
I call my LT "Silver" like the lone rangers horse. It feels like a well mannered horse full of power and control.
I want to maintain the bike the way it needs but without any idea of a maintainance schedule I am at a loss. The previous owner did the full 36k on it before I got it. I have put over 2k on it in a month. What is next? I check the oil and brake/clutch fluids, look after the brake pads, just had BMW put two new tires on the bike and I ride it every chance I get.
When do I change oil and what about the other fluids? Dealer said oil once a year??? I didnt think that was wise but I figured I would put it to the group and see what real life LT riders say.
Did you get the manuals with it? If not, I would get a set and a Clymer manual. I think the oil change is once a year or 6,000 miles whichever comes first, but I would have to check my manual to be sure. I created a spreadsheet wihch I use to track my maintenance. Basically, things are at 6,000 mile intervals, with the 6K intervals being oil change and inspection and the 12 and 24 intervals being more significant.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum Will. There is a lot to learn from this forum. The very first is that asking the dealer to do all your work is expensive (atleast for me). Also doing your own maintenance will allow you to bond better with your bike. I service the bike myself for both the reasons.

Hall Of Wisdom under the technical section is very helpful to start. Also once you are logged into the site you can perform search on existing posts that should most likely help with most common questions.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in