Sleepin' in the queenseat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Sleepin' in the queenseat

So my wife has mentioned getting drowsy on the back of the bike, and I caught my son sawing logs this afternoon. I've also heard it happening on the forum often enough to notice.

Just how _dangerous_ is sleeping pillion? I can't say as I've ever been a passenger, so I can't relate. I'd hate to have a passenger flop off to the side and go for a ride!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Re: Sleepin' in the queenseat

My 12 year old grandson fell asleep behind me. I didn't know it till he fell forward at a stop and his helmet hit mine pretty hard..lol.
post #3 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:05 am

It happens to my wife quite often, testament to how comfortable the K12 is I guess, although she used to catch a little kip on the K100 as well ! Seriously, she sleeps quite soundly, though I've never needed to throw a rug over her after we ride into the garage at home She takes a product called No-Doz here in Oz, tablet form, pure caffeine, and not being a tea of coffee drinker they spark her up instantly, that's our fix. She seems to sit there quite stable, only hint I get is when her helmet crashes forward into the back of mine !

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:51 am
cws

Garage

Velcro on the seat back, and back of the jacket.... problem fixed.

Alternately, put some armrests on, that'll help keep them wedged in when they nod off.
Not as cheap as Velcro though

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 1:04 am
Super Moderator

Every since I put on Muddiman's (http://www.eagle-i.us/) arm rests my wife cat naps all the
time - like running across Kansas, Nebraska and Texas with all that wonderful scenery
and flat land. We turn up the music , set the cruise and float along and since I am not in
the mood for talking on the intercom all the way she just relaxes on occasion - not all the
time and it is certainly not a deep sleep. Lets say she does not need to concentrate and
focus like the driver and she nods off every once in a while.

Is it safe - well I can tell you she wakens to the least change in direction, noise of the
trucks, and bumps in the road. Is she going to fall off - well the arm rests trap her real
good and to date we have no issues. Does she sleep in the rain - nope, does she sleep
at night time - nope, does she sleep in the twistes - nope, does she sleep in any gear
below 5th - nope, does she sleep when the bike is in cruise on flat land in the middle of the
day - yep, does she sleep when she is hungry - nope and finally does she sleep when
she is mad at me or my driving style - nope. So she really has very limited time to sleep
but she does manage to on occasion.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 1:55 am

My wife unfortunately does not not get to go on rides with me that often, but when she does, naps are in order. It is one of the reasons I bought the 1200lt. It has a backrest and heated seats, the 1100lt did not. As others have stated, the only indicator is the bump to the back of the head every now and then.
To date we have had no issues.

Brian

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #7 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 3:05 am

My riding partner also falls asleep from time to time. Easy to tell when her helmet bonks mine. She has never come close to falling off.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 3:58 am

I don't know if it's dangerous but Honey Bunny catches naps all the time on the passenger seat. As long as we're not in traffic I'll let her sleep. I figure it's one thing that makes a trip better for her.

My only concern, which has never materialized, is that she might get disoriented and suddenly try to stand up.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #9 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 5:45 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

If you have armrest there is no worries. My wife always slept on my LT & now my GTL (I modified some Wing armrest to fit the GTL). My middle Granddaughter Has been riding with me for 6 years (started at 10 years old) & she sleeps too. SSSHHH Just don't tell her Mom.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:25 am Thread Starter

No armrests on my LT, but it sounds like the risk of injury is pretty remote. I figure there'd be horror stories of carnage and loss of life it it were more frequent.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #11 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:32 am

No arm rest either, but its easy enough to tell when she starts to nap. I get the tap, tap on the back of my helmet. I say are you sleeping... Gretchen, wha?...no. Ya right LOL.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:49 am

Yep, Lovely Bride sleeps quit often. First thing I notice is she hasn't said anything for awhile then I get the bump in the back of the head. Get the same response too, "you asleep, uh no you doing ok??"
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger955
Yep, Lovely Bride sleeps quit often. First thing I notice is she hasn't said anything for awhile then I get the bump in the back of the head. Get the same response too, "you asleep, uh no you doing ok??"
"Just resting my eyes" seems to be the commonly accepted answer.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 9:22 am

My wife naps back there pretty often - about every time that we ride for more than an hour or so. The helmet bonk gives her away every time but at least I know by that she isn't leaning off to the side.

I installed Muddiman armrests a few weeks ago for my peace of mind for her safety. She didn't think she needed them. She wasn't worried about falling off and she didn't feel she was lacking for comfort. She does like them now that they are on there and I feel better knowing she is tucked in for her nap.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #15 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Every since I put on Muddiman's (http://www.eagle-i.us/) arm rests my wife cat naps all the
time - like running across Kansas, Nebraska and Texas with all that wonderful scenery
and flat land. We turn up the music , set the cruise and float along and since I am not in
the mood for talking on the intercom all the way she just relaxes on occasion - not all the
time and it is certainly not a deep sleep. Lets say she does not need to concentrate and
focus like the driver and she nods off every once in a while.

Is it safe - well I can tell you she wakens to the least change in direction, noise of the
trucks, and bumps in the road. Is she going to fall off - well the arm rests trap her real
good and to date we have no issues. Does she sleep in the rain - nope, does she sleep
at night time - nope, does she sleep in the twistes - nope, does she sleep in any gear
below 5th - nope, does she sleep when the bike is in cruise on flat land in the middle of the
day - yep, does she sleep when she is hungry - nope and finally does she sleep when
she is mad at me or my driving style - nope. So she really has very limited time to sleep
but she does manage to on occasion.
+++111 exact same story, particularly the "mad at me" part!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #16 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 9:34 am

I have a tendency to be quite introverted, esp long distances, so my lovely and talented wife will snooze quite a bit once the conversation dies off. I would feel safer if i had arm rests for her but she insists quite strongly she doesn't want them. She does have a bit of claustrophobia (can't take a full face helmet either) so that's the way we ride. Never been a problem but for the snoring in the intercom.

'15 GTLE

post #17 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 9:54 am

Talking Re: Sleepin' in the queenseat

Except for the claustrophobia over the full face helmet Steve could be describing Marilyn as well. She does not want to feel trapped if we should find ourselves in a "Get Off" situation. I offered to put on the arm rests but she said no!

To add to the facts already offered about the pax not falling off while dozing, we have at least one who did not fall off after being knocked unconscious by a low flying pheasant!! Only indicator of the fact she was out was her head resting on her right shoulder, which I could see in the mirror right before pulling over.

The wide seat and foot rests make for a very stable platform!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
I have a tendency to be quite introverted, esp long distances, so my lovely and talented wife will snooze quite a bit once the conversation dies off. I would feel safer if i had arm rests for her but she insists quite strongly she doesn't want them. She does have a bit of claustrophobia (can't take a full face helmet either) so that's the way we ride. Never been a problem but for the snoring in the intercom.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #18 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:18 am

I've wondered how many others wives have done that. Mine has done it on every bike I've owned... even a Yamaha RD350B!!! I used to worry but after so many many miles there has never been an issue. Glad to hear none reported so far.

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
"Hukt on Fonix rilly werkt fer mee."
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:55 pm

This is interesting, I kind of would have preferred an RT or GT for a bike because it is a little sportier and easier to ride in town, but I opted for the LT simply because of the potential for the wife to snooze off:

10 year old K1200 LT - $4K
6 Gallons of premium - $22
Silent Wife - PRICELESS!!!
post #20 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm

My wife does 2 things whilst we travel - a lot of thinking and a little bit of snoozing. I've covered the snoozing bit, but ommtted to say that once while we were travelling on the K100RT, just after she had taken a 30 minute pillion ride on the mate's Ultra-Classic, we stopped and were having a drink when she mentioned to me that she thought it may be time we upgraded (obviiously was impressed with the comfort and had subsequently doing the maths). Well, the rest is history,...... '05 with 13,000 Km's and unmarked, and we are very happy, so much so that in the next month we will clock-up around 13,000 Km's on this great continent, I guess she'll be doing some more of that thinking and maybe a little (more) snoozing.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #21 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Except for the claustrophobia over the full face helmet Steve could be describing Marilyn as well. She does not want to feel trapped if we should find ourselves in a "Get Off" situation. I offered to put on the arm rests but she said no!

To add to the facts already offered about the pax not falling off while dozing, we have at least one who did not fall off after being knocked unconscious by a low flying pheasant!! Only indicator of the fact she was out was her head resting on her right shoulder, which I could see in the mirror right before pulling over.

The wide seat and foot rests make for a very stable platform!

John
One good feature of the Don Muddiman's BMW K1200LTEagle Innovation's Armrests is they can be folded up at will; even while under way so she can raise them when she wants to be "free". Plus I hang her cup holder on her right amrest....

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #22 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

All good news, thanks guys!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #23 of 23 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:51 am

A while back I came up with a "seat belt" specifically to prevent a passenger from falling off if they fell asleep - it was a generic design and not LT specific. It had an infinitely adjustable wide belt that rode just above the hips and "breakaway" velcro dual lock attachment points that were designed to shear and fail above a 50 pound hard shock pull. It was a damn good design (if I do say so myself!)

I was chided and thoroughly dissed by just about everyone on this site for coming up with such an outrageously stoopid idea. I considered that a high compliment and forged ahead with a couple of prototypes that were well received. Right about this time Honda came out with the airbag for the Gold Wing so I knew I was on to something. My plan was to sell it on a "fear based" need which of course sells thousands of products every day that you really DON"T need.

THEN, my attorney found out what I was doing!

Deep sixed that project in a heartbeat.

I doubt if anyone could ever determine how many passengers have been injured/killed by falling off since an ER would most likely not record the specific event that led to injury.

We did have a gal that fell of the back of a Harley a few years ago (with only a tank top and bandana for protection) and was badly injured right here in Tucson. She had been drinking and it was a warm day.... They pretty much theorized she dozed off (or passed out). I doubt she felt the first impact but I'll bet the rest were memorable.

The only time I think it could be dangerous on an LT is if you were leaning into a curve with the passenger asleep. That could be a big problem...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 6th, 2012 at 10:59 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in