The Dragon- Routes from North-East PA. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

The Dragon- Routes from North-East PA.

I will be heading for The Dragon in the second week in September. I have not ventured there before and would like some advice. I will be leaving from Scranton, PA and would like to run 2 lane blacktop when possible. I like twisties and points of interest. I will take 2 days to go down, spend 1-2 days at Deal's Gap and take 2 days back. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 11:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: The Dragon- Routes from North-East PA.

How About, 84 west to 81 south, Front Royal Va., Skyline drive, to Blue Ridge Pkwy. Plenty of side trips continue to Cherokee South Carolina
The Parkway Can be slow, Fog, Cages, 45mph. limit . Rt 221 good alternate. runs parallel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Re: The Dragon- Routes from North-East PA.

I have traveled on US 220 some. nice road some twisty areas but you can make time.

I would consider US220S (just west of you) to US219S (may have to make a connection b/w 220-219)
Then take US220 to I64 to pick up US219 Near Caldwell WV.
THen there are numerous roads to chose from there.
I dont believe you will be dissapointed by most of them.

Just dont expect to sight see too much on some of the roads. youll need to pay attention ahead.

Good Luck.

PS. whatever you chose keep in mind if your not camping your accessability to hotels.

Quohog

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
1993 Honda CBR1000F
2001 K1200LTC (sold)
2004 K1200LT (replaced 01)
2005 Yamaha Road Star (gone)
2009 Harley Road King Classic
2009 Harley Ultra Classic.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 8:18 am

I once did a ride from NEPA down to Blue Ridge Parkway by riding Route 11 (paralleling 81). Much slower going, but more scenic. Lots of river towns to enjoy that way. One nice POI is crossing the river at Millersburg on the ferry, which is always an experience. To get there you could pick up 209 off of 81, or if you are travelling 11, hop off at Bloomsburg on to 487 to 61 to 225. The ferry will take you to a campground right on 11.

Someday I'd like to take 11 from NEPA all the way to NOLA.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

I have been down many times to that area from Philadelphia. The northern section I will leave to you. I suggest timing-wise as follows:

Day 1. Scranton - Roanoke. Get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Waynesboro, VA. Avoid the Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Waynsesboro, it is slow, a lower speed limit and infested with the law.Other places to stay the night might be Bedford or Peaks of Otter.
Day 2: Roanoke - Cherokee/Gatlinburg/Maryville area.

The run from Waynesboro to the end of the BRP not far from the Gap is almost exactly 500 miles, this giving you an idea of the run length. The top third and the bottom third of the BRP are best. The whole way though is perfect for an LT, fast or slow as you like.

On the way back, you can go through Cherokee/Pisgah national forests heading north, These are narrow, 2 lane roads with some great sights. Then cross over into WV and just trend north. You come out mid-PA, not the east, but it is worth it. The 50 over Mt Storm was an old fave for me.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Will,
There are quite a few choices for a good run to Deal's Gap. There are some very good posts in this thread, with some great highlights! I agree with the rider who said you should avoid Skyline Drive, it's very scenic, but very slow, as well! I popped your start and end points into MapSource, with a route taking you through Seneca Rocks, WV and Green Banks, WV, where we've found some of the best riding ever, local roads for the most part, but the mountains of WV are awesome! Green Banks is the site of the world's largest moveable radio telescope and a stone's throw from Cass Railroad. I know you won't have time to ride the train, but we made a picnic lunch stop at the telescope (twice). Anyway, that route would put you at roughly 780 miles for 2 days of travel, which doesn't allow for a lot of stops. You'd be limited to about 55mph for most of it, if I recall correctly. Another idea to consider is to make your way to the Dragon via the Asheville area, which also sports some great riding although you'll find it hasn't been so publicized as the Gap. Any way you look at it, you'll see some awesome sights and find some great roads. WV will remain my favorite state for motorcycling! Ride safe!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 5:54 am

Google- Marion to Tazwell Va.run. Its right off I-81 and 30 miles of Deals Gap type twistys without the commercial traffic.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 14th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Ditto on using route 219 - awesome piece of road.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in