Blinking brake lights ...Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Blinking brake lights ...Help

I have a 2002 LT with 40,000 miles. I just had a 24k service, oil change and new tires. Now, I'm in North Carolina and my front break line started leaking and I got a very fast red light flashing. I was towed to a BMW dealership and they replace the front brake line for $364.00 and sent me on my way back to the smokies. Now, the next day, after hitting my front brakes a little hard I am getting the flashing brake light again. I called the dealer, but they are 200 miles from me now. What do you guys think my problem is and can I drive the bike back home tomorrow (350 MILES) with a flashing brake light. The breaks seem to be working but not properly. Thanks and help, please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Re: Blinking brake lights ...Help

What do you mean that they are working but not properly?

Your year does not have power assist and it is possible that you have a low reservoir, possibly in rear, if only your front was serviced on an emergency basis.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveford
I have a 2002 LT with 40,000 miles. I just had a 24k service, oil change and new tires. Now, I'm in North Carolina and my front break line started leaking and I got a very fast red light flashing. I was towed to a BMW dealership and they replace the front brake line for $364.00 and sent me on my way back to the smokies. Now, the next day, after hitting my front brakes a little hard I am getting the flashing brake light again. I called the dealer, but they are 200 miles from me now. What do you guys think my problem is and can I drive the bike back home tomorrow (350 MILES) with a flashing brake light. The breaks seem to be working but not properly. Thanks and help, please
If you are still near the Charlotte NC area ride your bike to my place. It sounds like you might just be low on brake fluid. Pm me for my address

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 6:56 pm

The 2002's DO have power assist. It is probably not safe to ride until you get this cleared up as the effectiveness of the front brake is severely diminished.

Does the front brake feel like you are driving a car with power brakes and the engine is off? I f so stopping distances will be greatly extended.

John Z! Where are you? We have a brother out on the road in need of your help!

No worries. JZ will hopefully be reporting in shortly!

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 7:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I'm here. Without looking at it I suspect that there is either another leak or an improper bleed and during the hard braking the unit did not see the right pressure on the transducer. I would cycle power to the bike ( just key off and back on) and see if the problem clears. If the fast flashing remains then you have residual braking only in one or more of the circuits. Not a real safe thing to ride. If it clears ride on but avoid hard braking if possible. Check for additional leaks. Those lines are old and when one goes the others are not far behind.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:12 am

From a 2002 K1200LT owner who did just replace the front brake line:

First off the brakes are servo (power assisted). When you get the general warning light steady AND the fast blinking light a general indication is low fluid. You will as others pointed out have reduced braking in one or both of the circuits. It's like being without the servo assist. But if they were topped off, that fluid had to go somewhere.

When I replaced my leaking front brake line I put the brakes through their paces in the neighborhood and all seemed fine. Prior to the repair I would occassionally get the warning you describe and from checking around (here, friends and 2 dealers) was given things such as momentarily low voltage, the pressure wasn't just right as it is a sensitive system (just as John stated). When I got the flashing warning I would do as John described and sometimes go months with no recurrence. Since my repair, no problems.

It really wasn't that hard of repair but not something you'd want to do on the road: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2012/07/...mw-abs-system/

My leak was also detected (it became obvious) on the way home from NC. The odd thing was that once I knew it was leaking, I got NO warning lights whatsoever.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Aug 5th, 2012 at 11:17 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in