DDM Tuning Hid Light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

DDM Tuning Hid Light

I just installed a DDM Tuning HID light this evening and it doesn't work.either does the high beam. I have no headlights. What did I do wrong? I connected the red lead from the light to the yellow lead and the black from the light to the brown lead from the bike. Everything else just plugs in. What could have I have done wrong when this was a plug and play deal.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 9:42 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: DDM Tuning Hid Light

Probably not it, but when I did mine I had the bike torn down for several other things and the battery somehow drained to the point the trickle charger wouldn't pick it back up, had to break out the big charger to top off the battery and all was fine.

Bottom line, low voltage will fool you.

-----------
Revision A
Reading my notes, the yellow is the + for low beam and the white is the + for high. Did you replace both high and low beam, or just the low?

If you lost both low and high and only replaced the low, I would check the ground circuit. Disturbing it may have lost the ground.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun

Last edited by jrh2020; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 9:57 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:25 pm

I'll have to go back and find the directions or pictures on this site that I used.

In the mean time, did you check the fuse?

Do you have a multitester so that you can the voltages?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:48 pm

Don't use a multimeter to test the voltage to the bulb. 10,s of thousands of volts and your meter will go poof!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 9:10 am

If you pulled the nose off did you plug the headlight connector back in when you reassembled?

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

I did the same install a month ago. I almost forgot to plug the stock ground connector back on. Double check that the green ground wire is still plugged in. IIRC, There are wires going to the low beam, and 2 wires for the high beam and then a green 5th wire that is a common ground. they all need to be plugged in. ALSO, plug the OEM connector back into the back outside of the headlight housing.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

OK, you can call me dumb. I pulled the nose on the bike and I don't see any green wire or where I would plug into. What am I missing?

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

All is well. I took another crack at it after work today and what I found is the connection on the back of the housing was off. I'm afraid to report that it was probably self inflicted. I attempted to put the ballast on top of the housing without taking things apart and I must have dislodged it in the process. The next time I attempt to put a hid light in I will go up the right side of the housing. That would be a clear shot with nothing in the way. Now the high beam looks pitiful compared to the low beam. Now to tackle my wife's van. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Marty Blok

99 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in