High seat position discomfort - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

High seat position discomfort

I like riding the seat in the high position because my legs are a bit more relaxed and I feel like my slow-speed control is better. The problem is that when I ride in that position I get pressure points on my rear, and my back starts hurting within an hour. In the low position I do not have any problem with the seat and find it quite comfortable.

I believe the cause is that when you place the seat in the high position it changes the angle of the seat and I feel like it is trying to dump me forward whereas in the normal position it sits much more naturally.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was contemplating some sort of spacer on the front hinge connection but before I try it I figure someone else has already done it or knows that it would or would not work, ideas are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 3:37 pm

Re: High seat position discomfort

I have not had this problem, but I have a backrest so I wonder if that is helping. I put on lowered peg extenders etc, thinking that I could run the seat in its low position, making it easier to put my feet down at stop with fully loaded bags. While the latter is true (for me), I still prefer the high position as I'm more in control of the bike at all speeds, the only downside being that my feet are "almost" flat vs definitely flat at stop. I'm 6ft so maybe height or leg length makes a difference? My ride is an '05 and the seat is quite "plush".

Hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm

Yes, I had the exact same problem. I have a 34" inseam and I actually made an extra high seat height adjustment bar, it is +20 mm (3/4") over the highest stock setting. So then I placed a 20 mm thich plastic spacer plate between the fron seat bracket and the plastic seat pan. You need to drill (4) new 7 mm holes just forward of the originals in the pivotting bracket, and use longer M6 bolts. That way your seat still locks correctly as the 20 mm front spaced pushes it back approximately 8 mm. Much more comfortable once the correct seat angle is restored. I find the seating position the biggest short-coming of the K12, a shame really.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 5:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You must be on a stock seat. I run my Russel Day Long in the high position even with a 30" inseam as it just feels right.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 6:23 pm

Using a back rest made a tremendous difference in my comfort. Without it I always felt as if the handle bars were about an inch to far forward for my comfort.

A few fellow LTers suggested I try a back rest.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I placed a 20 mm thich plastic spacer plate between the fron seat bracket and the plastic seat pan. You need to drill (4) new 7 mm holes just forward of the originals in the pivotting bracket, and use longer M6 bolts.
This is basically what I was thinking of, but I had not considered the redirlling of holes so a good thing I asked The amount of knowlegde lurking around this site is mind-numbing.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 7:44 pm

The forward-most hole in the front braccket is too close to the bend to drill another, so I just used 4 bolts not 5. I'll be sending the stock seat to Ron K Miller (Kontour Seats) early in 2013 for change to his product with extra height, width and support. The worst feature of my mod is that the seat looks a little dorky sitting so high above the frame, but comfort is the name of the game. A black sponge rubber infill would tidy the whole thing up I guess.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 8:30 pm

I had a similar problem, just could not find the "right" height or seat angle.
Finally used some self adhesive chair coasters, the rubber ones, and placed them where the seat bar conacts the frame. Each one adds 1/8th inch to height and made that fine tuning issue a hassle free deal. Seat could not be more comfortable after a little experimentation, it sits completely unbiased, no forward tilt or rearward thrust.
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 9:14 pm

Had the same problem. Not that I'm tall at about 5'9", but I liked the higher positioning but was being 'dumped' forward.

Went to the local hardware store and got a plastic piece about 4" long. It had a 1/4" hole in the middle. I cut off pieces about 3/8 down to 1/4" and placed the higher ones in the front and lower ones in back as I reattached the seat to the lifting assembly. Now it's a tad higher in the front and I sit back against the backrest and am completely comfortable.

$2.00 piece of plastic at Ace Hardware against $500 for Russel Day Long. Even I can figure that out with the 'Old Math'.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Well I am definitely doing something, probably the spacers under the front. With the seat in the low position I am perfectly comfortable, just my knees are more bent than I would like, the height of the stock high position is perfect I just don't like the dumping me into the handlebars.

I have thought about a backrest, but my R1200C has a backrest which I almost never put up because it drives me nuts, makes me hot in the summer and throws off my balance no matter the season. Sitting on my service stand on the C the backrest feels great, but in motion it just doesn't feel right. Anyone ever tried one of those $138 ones I see on flea-bay all the time? I might be willing to risk that for something that I am fairly certain will not help.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:37 pm

I bought the one preceding it, nice sturdy bracket that was chrome. The chrome looks nice but since the bracket goes between the front and rear seat it was covered over.

I haven't looked at the current on on eBay selling for around $138. I just guessed that it is from the same company but they figured out that the cost of chroming it was not worth it?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:37 pm

Also might add that you might benefit from a set of Mick-O-Pegs. I rode a friends bike with the J Pegs and didn't especially like them. So I put a set of the Mick-O-Pegs on and eventually the friend changed over to the ones like I had.

I also didn't notice if you had your bike listed, but took for granted you were talking about an LT of some sorts. Being able to stretch out my legs really helps old knees on long days. I've had a good many long days on this bike along with two SS1000's on the LT. The leg extension possible with the Mick-O-Pegs made that possible. Just a thought.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in