'05 Battery connections - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:50 am Thread Starter

'05 Battery connections

Would one of you '05 owners mind taking a look at your battery one of these times and telling me:

how many conntections to the postitive side? I have two large cables, one to the starter/solenoid I suspect, one to supply accessories. But I also have a white wire with an inline fuse. I asked the DPO about it, he said it was there when he bought the bike new (only had 1900 miles when I got it.) Something is zapping my battery when the bike is parked for more than 2 days. I disconnected the white wire but cant find anything that was affected.

FWIW, I turn the key to off/lock positon, radio in off position, no alarm set. Nothing obvious to run down battery.

PS, Dick, if you see this, I picked up a REAL charger, put the gelcell on it for a while and it started the bike this am. I'll take you up on the offer to try the BT+ one of these times just for grins.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:10 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have no "white" wire with an in-line fuse. It must be an add on. Pull the in line fuse and see what does not work. This should not affect any factory systems on the bike. Also while the fuse is out and you have a multi meter you can measure the current drawn by that add on wire.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:58 am

2005 Battery Woes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Would one of you '05 owners mind taking a look at your battery one of these times and telling me:

how many conntections to the postitive side? I have two large cables, one to the starter/solenoid I suspect, one to supply accessories. But I also have a white wire with an inline fuse.
Yes I have one although its black. Mine is the power supply for the Comm III by J&M. Your LT have a comm system?

PS--IMHO, trash the original BMW gel battery and get one'o the Odysseys.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Quote:
PS, Dick, if you see this, I picked up a REAL charger, put the gelcell on it for a while and it started the bike this am. I'll take you up on the offer to try the BT+ one of these times just for grins.
Ready when you are. I've got Toad on a Battery Minder at the moment, so the BT+ is available. Ping me when you wanna make the meet.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

White wire

I have the Voice II but it was factory, should be wired into the main loom, not? I didn't check the Voice II it this am, was so excited that the bike started, just rode it! Will check it tonight.

And I did trash the gelcell and got an Odyessy. But have had trouble charging it (left the 'parking' light on one night) until I got my 'real' charger. FWIW, the Odyessys need 10amps or better (West Coast Battery told me to put what ever I wanted on it, up to 25 or more) and wont recover from 'flat' with a 1.5 or 2 amp BT. So I switch from gell to Odyessy and back, depending on which one is charged and working!

Dick, I'll try to make *$$ on Fri morn. Will let ya know Thur night (unless its pouring rain...yea, right, rain in TX? Ha!)

Hey, Harry, you going to Red River? Think I saw mention of that. See ya there (you too Dick?)

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:04 pm

If you have PIAA's on your bike they came with a white wire for powering the PIAA's.. also fused.. so, just disco it.. tape it up so it can't bump anything and see if the battery holds the charge...

Another method is to connect a "digital" voltmeter, set to "miliamps" and disco one fuse at a time to see where the current draw is. Now, to do this, you need to put the meter "in line" between the Positive battery terminal and the Pos cable. Do NOT turn on the bike.. just check it "off".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:
I have the Voice II but it was factory, should be wired into the main loom, not?
Man I don't know, sorry.

Quote:
Hey, Harry, you going to Red River? Think I saw mention of that. See ya there (you too Dick?)
You bet! Looking forward to it too! Guess all the posts for the RRR are under South Central.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Dick, I'll try to make *$$ on Fri morn. Will let ya know Thur night (unless its pouring rain...yea, right, rain in TX? Ha!)
Hey, Russ - Dave and I are gonna go to the Blanco Bowling Alley Cafe Friday morning and have breakfast with Shawn (gulfxray), who is finishing up a ride in Big Bend and heading home to Bartlesville. Gimme another morning that'll work for you and I'll meetcha somewheres.

Quote:
I'll PM ya on this, Russ.
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Disconnected

It appears that the VoiceII is connected to the white wire. I've disconnected it and no VoiceII. I dont use it so nothing lost, just need to check and see what kinda current it draws in off position. Battery is holding up fine at this point but I've also been riding it every day.

Keep forgetting to check the Piaas and see if they are still working.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Last update

I was wrong about the white wire. As someone else pointed out, it is the Piaas. I was asleep and failed to note that the radio was off thus no Voice II. I also checked drain and found none from the Piaas, didn't expect to. Now I'll start pulling fuses one by one to find out where the drain is. But good news is that since I charged it with a good charger, no problems. Course I been riding it every day or so, no real chance for it to run down. Thanks for the tips, I'm outta here!

Dick, you'll see this....
I'm starting to plan a trip to the Rib House soon. Waiting to hear from Davey.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:28 am

Quote:
Dick, you'll see this....
I'm starting to plan a trip to the Rib House soon. Waiting to hear from Davey.
Well, hurry up. I'm 'bout to run outta discretionary funds. Had to drop a bundle at Lone Star Friday. $2.69 for the leetle rubber bumpy thang that goes on the end of the sidestand footlever!!! Can you imagine???

Seriously - no hurry. I'm pretty much grounded now, trying to get all the arrangements made for Cheryl's Euro trip in a week-n-a-half. Time is running out and I'm putting fun thangs off 'til she's wheels up. I'll letcha know when I'm ready to play again!!

BTW - wonder if Kermit is gonna put in a *$$ counter at the new place. That one in Leon Springs is gettin' more'n more 'foo-fooey' every time we go on Fridays. Being able to test drive how a pair of gloves grips a *$$ cup would be worthy of an apparel report here on the site, wouldn't it??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in