Clutch reassembly---HELP! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Clutch reassembly---HELP!

Hi all. Its been a long road to strip the gal down for a clutch replacement due to fluid contamination. I was assuming a rear motor seal or clutch slave but when I drained my trans fluid the magnet had chunks of bearing cage attached to it. I removed the trans to find that the oil seal as well as the rear input shaft bearing gone. Gone...as in not there anymore! My dealer said he could rebuild it but would take him close to a month as he was booked solid. I then ordered a low mileage trans off of Ebay. I will of course, replace both of those seals.

Enough backstory, my question is thus: When I removed the pressure plate there was (what appeared to be) a rubber seal around the outer diameter of the clutch housing (basket?) that the pressure plate rested on. The cross section would seem to be a C-channel as it looks like it fit over a metal ridge just inside of the threaded bolt holes for the basket cover. (See picture) it was brittle and practically dissolved when I sprayed it with brake fluid. The various parts list I used from this forum for clutch rebuilds did not mention this part so I had not ordered it. Looking at Max BMW's parts finche it is a part # 21 21 1 451 274 Spacer ring. I had it shipped 2nd day air but when I got it, it was not rubber at all but a copper ring with a round cross section. The part number is correct.

Has anyone encountered this? Should I install the copper ring? Does it fit into the narrow gap between the outer edge of the clutch basket and the raised ridge? I am trying to hurriedly get this back together as I'm planning on leaving for Nova Scotia on Aug. 17.

It's an 01 LT btw. Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

P.S.I'm too stupid to figure out how to attach a pic here so I've posted a link to it on my Facebook. I hope you can view it. If not, please let me know.

Clutch basket spacer ring

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate

Last edited by Family_fun; Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:01 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 8:16 pm

Re: Clutch reassembly---HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
Hi all. Its been a long road to strip the gal down for a clutch replacement due to fluid contamination. I was assuming a rear motor seal or clutch slave but when I drained my trans fluid the magnet had chunks of bearing cage attached to it. I removed the trans to find that the oil seal as well as the rear input shaft bearing gone. Gone...as in not there anymore! My dealer said he could rebuild it but would take him close to a month as he was booked solid. I then ordered a low mileage trans off of Ebay. I will of course, replace both of those seals.

Enough backstory, my question is thus: When I removed the pressure plate there was (what appeared to be) a rubber seal around the outer diameter of the clutch housing (basket?) that the pressure plate rested on. The cross section would seem to be a C-channel as it looks like it fit over a metal ridge just inside of the threaded bolt holes for the basket cover. (See picture) it was brittle and practically dissolved when I sprayed it with brake fluid. The various parts list I used from this forum for clutch rebuilds did not mention this part so I had not ordered it. Looking at Max BMW's parts finche it is a part # 21 21 1 451 274 Spacer ring. I had it shipped 2nd day air but when I got it, it was not rubber at all but a copper ring with a round cross section. The part number is correct.

Has anyone encountered this? Should I install the copper ring? Does it fit into the narrow gap between the outer edge of the clutch basket and the raised ridge? I am trying to hurriedly get this back together as I'm planning on leaving for Nova Scotia on Aug. 17.

It's an 01 LT btw. Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

P.S.I'm too stupid to figure out how to attach a pic here so I've posted a link to it on my Facebook. I hope you can view it. If not, please let me know.

Clutch basket spacer ring

Yes you def need that ring installed. Make sure you use the lube they say in the book. Dont remember off hand. Just did mine and there was no rubber ring there. Hope that helps to get you up a running. Im sure others will chime in.
You will ABSOLUTELY LOVE N.S.. Been in all 48 states, and it is one of the most beautiful places we have been to. Hope you are going thru the north side, it just gets better and better.

Keep the rubber side down,

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 8:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yup, Ring then spring plate, followed by pressure plate, etc. Interesting that your old one disentigrated.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Yup, Ring then spring plate, followed by pressure plate, etc. Interesting that your old one disentigrated.

+1

And make sure you put the spring in facing the correct way before you reassemble the clutch and install it into the intermediate. DAMHIK

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in