Lt,gt R - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Lt,gt R

I am just looking into a touring bike and am somewhat confused over the models can someone explain the difference between the different model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Re: Lt,gt R

I see you are near Min-St Paul.

Get the to a BMW dealer to look and sit on all of the options.

DANGER! Do not bring your check book with you.

When my wife and I went to our local dealer they wnated us to take an LT out for a test ride; and not just around the block.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Since you are so close you can just run over to Moon Motorsports in Monticello. I have had very good experiences there and they are knowledgeable about several different brands. I have no affiliation with them.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosney
I am just looking into a touring bike and am somewhat confused over the models can someone explain the difference between the different model
Model with 'T' usually indicates that it is meant for touring and has side cases. First letter 'L' indicates luxury touring and when in the letter mix usually indicates a model with a more straight up seating position. The 'G' designation usually indicates a more forward riding position and indicates a more 'sportbike' type riding position. The first letter may also indicate the motor basic design, especially in earlier models. L was 4 cylinder and R meant 2 cylinder, but not always. Confused yet?

Obviously if there is all the letters like 'GTL' it is some sort of mix or modified driving position.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 8:22 pm

The primary difference is the engine and it's cooling system. The K series bikes can be 3,4, or 6 cylinder. They are water cooled and shaft drive with the touring models being the LT suffix. Such as K1200 LT

The R series bikes use the boxer motor which is a horizontally opposed twin...air cooled & shaft drive. Touring series use the RT suffix...such as R1100 RT

The numbers in the description refer to the engine displacement in cubic centimeters.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 3:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Heres a good read.....

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/bmw...ory-86961.html

-Preston
‘02 K1200 LTC | ’94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in