Maybe Slave Cylinder or Clutch??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Maybe Slave Cylinder or Clutch???

So yesterday I cleaned up the shift linkage because of a problem shifting. When I took it for a ride after it seemed to shift good at first then after the bike warmed up started having the same problem again, but I did notice a couple of new symptoms.

When the bike doesn't want to shift sometimes I notice that the RPM's may not have dropped all the way down. If I let go of the clutch and reengage it may or may not engage all of the way so I can shift. Most of the time no more than 3 pulls and it will engage all of the way and allow me to shift. Even if it does allow me to shift it's more clunky than it was before. It seems to happen after the bike warms up.

I've only had the bike about 2 months. I did change all of the oils when I bought it. Full synthetic. Royal Purple 75-90 in the final drive and the transmission. I wouldn't think that would be the problem??? My best guess is the slave cylinder but I'm not much of a trouble shooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Re: Maybe Slave Cylinder or Clutch???

check fluid level in master cylinder (hand lever) - if low leak somewhere possible - assuming you mean "pumping" hand lever will result in clutch releasing
master cylinder can partially seize and not fully returning to rest (all the way out) - needs to be rebuilt in that case

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

I checked the fluid yesterday and it was full. When I opened it I had it on the center stand and bit of fluid came out.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 4:57 pm

bars have to be all the way right to check

put bike on center stand - pump (if necessary) lever to disengage clutch - have someone rotate wheel - if freewheels OK in gear - hold lever in wait and see if clutch starts to engage as wheel rotated - if it does piston leak by - slave leak by or fluid leaking out - or leak somewhere tubing

piston can partially seize also not coming all the way back out - you would have to take lever off and see

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 9:46 pm

If your piston is bad, I believe I have an entire left hand assembly I can send you so you are not without whilst you get yours fixed. You can either put yours back on after you repair it, or send me the repaired unit so I have it on the shelf for the next person in need.

No cost, I just ask you pay postage both ways. Easiest way is to go to USPS.com, generate a Priority Mail label with postage, save the label as a PDF and email it to me. Easy peasy.

I do recommend that you confirm that it is the piston or other component on the handlebar so that you do not waste time removing/installing something that is not bad. :-))

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 9:18 am

Are you having problems with the upshift or downshift or both ?

If it's the downshift, Try this.. Get it to stick, Then blip the throttle. If it comes unstuck, You might need a clutch spline lube...

The most prevalant symptom for this is sticking when downshifting and blipping the throttle breaks it lose...That's where it starts...My RT is doing that occasionally so it'll get a spline lube this winter..

But If you're having to pump up the clutch in order to get it to release then that's usually the master cylinder...If you're losing fluid, Then slave cylinder quick before it wrecks the clutch..

Usually by the time you realize you're losing fluid, The clutch is slipping...

Good luck...

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 9:27 am Thread Starter

It's happening on both the up and downshift. Probably a little more on the downshift but if I have the RPM's up high it won't shift up.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhcurry
It's happening on both the up and downshift. Probably a little more on the downshift but if I have the RPM's up high it won't shift up.
Will the bike sit still idling in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

So I tried the easiest thing first and changed the clutch fluid and it seemed to fix the problem, fluid that first came out was pretty dark. Took it out on a ride and it shifted right...now just curious what might have caused the problem. I'm sure there must have been air in the system, but don't know what might have caused it to happen suddenly.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 2:50 am

There might have been some water in the fluid?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 1st, 2012, 5:45 am

I had a similar problem immediately following my first attempt at flushing the clutch fluid. The clutch felt spongy at the lever. Air in the system was the problem. I had tried to bleed out the fluid by opening the master cylinder cover and allowing it to gravity feed while holding in the ball at the end of the bleeder hose, but some air must have gotten back up in there. Re-bled under pressure by holding in the clutch lever and pressing in the ball and all was good. No problems since. Hope this helps.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in