Why do BMW's often achieve high mileage status? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Why do BMW's often achieve high mileage status?

Was just asked this question yesterday by a cycling friend. In short, I'm not sure that I even know except to say that the components must be German "overengineered" and hold up better in the long haul.

So..... what is the real reason beemers often get that "badge of courage" for going 100k 200k etc. miles? Are the K-bikes achieving the same benchmarks as the airheads? Will the new design F, R, and K engines of the 21st century do the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:50 am

well.......the k engine is a scaled down M-engine..so I've been told......
Built for harder use than most of us give it......................................

I believe that part of the reason for high mileage is the maint. schedule....
oil changes, coolant changes. hydraulic changes, etc...............................

Will it last as long as Airheads ?...don't know but,...the K75 and K100 have been around for quit a while and run up some pretty good numbers....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm

I believe parts availability is part of it too. Try to find a part for a 20 year Yamaha (10 year old for that matter), it's probably no longer available.

Any part for a BMW made in the last 30 years is still available from your dealer.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

In addition to the parts availability and dedicated maintenance, the mechancals of the bikes themselves must have an advantage over the other world brand names. It's like an honor to spin the odometers through the numbers. I don't see many riders who stay with a bike long enough to run em that high. Maybe some GW riders get the high miles.....
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:09 pm

I think its the riders.

Most BMW riders are affluent and like to ride.

Just look at the Rear Drive complaints. The engine may last, but they are not all trouble free. Most of us can afford to fix them, and we tend to love them.

I have owned two yamahas, ridden GW and Harley. Nothing is as comfy as a BMW. Especially our beloved K1200LT, but even the GS is super comfy.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Talking why Hi Miles

I feel very sure that it has something to do with number of times the tire goes around as it travels along the road surface. the more times it goes around is reflected in the increase of numbers in the milage counter.
The engineers no doubt are a factor in providing the quality to keep the engine running, but if the wheels don't go around, the high miles are not achieved. the very best way to get the tires to go around is to "JUST RIDE IT" and with the Snow gone from the North East That is just what I am going to do

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

I surmize that it's not so much the bike but the riders who have the passion for beemers and the care they take of their bikes. Guess that means most Jap bikes could do the same if well taken care of. I did search the MicaPeak registries to find many GW riders who do have high mileage on their bikes. Interesting...
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:03 pm

High mileage LT's

Who are some high mileage riders of LT's? I bought my '99 last July and have 21k on it now.

How many miles can I expect with proper maintenance?

Joe
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain
I believe parts availability is part of it too. Try to find a part for a 20 year Yamaha (10 year old for that matter), it's probably no longer available.

Any part for a BMW made in the last 30 years is still available from your dealer.

Now Kaws are a different story,, 30 year old Kawasaki parts are still being used on new Kaws. my 2003 ZR-7S engine is virtually the same as a 73 GPz750 engine, and the 06 Concours is almost the same as the original 86

I think the reason the BMWs in gereral get much higher use because all their machines lean toward being designed for touring of one sort or the other. They almost all have some saddle bag option, and many have creature comfort options that only a select few bikes in any of the other lines have from the factory.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig4s

I think the reason the BMWs in gereral get much higher use because all their machines lean toward being designed for touring of one sort or the other. They almost all have some saddle bag option, and many have creature comfort options that only a select few bikes in any of the other lines have from the factory.
So do Harleys, but I can't even imagine putting high miles on a hog. Beemers just have a "built like a Panzer tank" feeling with excellent creature comforts.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 1:29 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
We've had at least one LT go well over 300K miles. It would've gone further, had it not been for an inattentive cage driver.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:21 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
We've had at least one LT go well over 300K miles. It would've gone further, had it not been for an inattentive cage driver.
And many, many others well over 100k and going strong. Right, Grif, Dick, ...?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
And many, many others well over 100k and going strong. Right, Grif, Dick, ...?
Yeppir - and I think Grif and his fav scoot, Barbara, is gonna pass me and ole Toad up this year. I'm not hardly riding at all. That RTE in Tyler with you and Ron and Delores and Eric and part-time Edgar is about the longest run we've made this year. Got CCR comin' up, which will help.

Butt, I will say, when the miles start rollin' long and curvy, ole Toad just don't wanna quit stretchin' legs and runnin' smoother'n smooth. I think it'd be a sin to like ole Toad any better'n I do!! We gotta long way to go together, and that's a good thang!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 9:24 am

You are missing the point. I have had two Harleys, two Beemers and a handful of the over the pond bikes (yes, touring). The Harleys and the Beemers are just plain fun to ride! The Jap bikes always started, got good mileage, no problems, just had no pazazz. Kinda like comparing a Ford Taurus to a two seater sport car going down a small road. Both will get you there but one is a bit more fun. I think the LT is just a joy to ride.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Who are some high mileage riders of LT's? I bought my '99 last July and have 21k on it now.

Joe
I had 110,000 miles on my '01 when I totaled it Nov. of 2004. I was riding 25-30,000 miles per year at the time.

I did have a a few problems, two of them out of the ordinary, but I would expect the average for the LT if ridden normally and maintained properly to be at least 200,000 miles before any major work outside of the known issues. Don Arthur went over 300,000 with no major engine work. He did have a couple final drive failures and a transmission failure though.

The two most common problems with the LT are failing final drive bearings and failing clutch slave cylinders. I had both. I also had detonation damaged pistons because of a misdiagnosis of a problem on a long trip, and a stuck starter sprag clutch, both of those required dismantling, the sprag clutch the biggest job of all. That one requires serious dismantling.

BUT: I would buy another LT tomorrow if the wife would agree.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:22 am
Cat Herder

[QUOTE=dshealeyBUT: I would buy another LT tomorrow if the wife would agree. [/QUOTE]

Tomorrow? I thought if SWMBO would giver her OK you would be at the dealers 5 minutes later?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Tomorrow? I thought if SWMBO would giver her OK you would be at the dealers 5 minutes later?
Not that close to my favorite dealer. Could go by on the way home from work, but still about 30 minutes away.

Glad you finally were able to get yours Andy!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 5:59 pm

The bikes are better....

I'll give this one to BMW engineers, not BMW riders. The complex KLT and the pressures of "newer and better" are taking their toll, but the heritage of BMW engineering has been to build it to last.
The reason that there are lots of 1970s BMWs on the road and not so many Japanese bikes (IMO) is not because BMW riders are greater enthusiasts or that the parts availabilty is better, but because the metals and the engineering of the BMW bikes is simply better. The parts are still around because lots of the bikes are still around, not vice versa. Built to be reliable and bullet proof, the early airhead beemers last because they are rugged. A properly maintained airhead rarely needs a bottom end rebuild even after high milage.
Nikasil (sp?) cylinders make the wear characteristics superior to Jap bikes. BMW had problems with seating of rings and execessive blow-by because the cylinders were "too hard" and rings wouldn't seat properly; an example of complications of "building it too good". The KLT enjoys the heritage of the K bike engine (the flying brick), and the basic plant is rarely the problem. Clutch, final drive, etc. give trouble but the engine will take a beating and keep on going.
Many folks have torn down a high milage beemer to note that the hatch marks from cylinder honing are still visible, this is testimony to the alloy that goes into the basic engine parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in