Fork Tube Seal ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:02 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Question Fork Tube Seal ?

I'm replacing my first fork tube seal. The seal & dust cover area look like someone had trouble replacing them before. There are tool marks on the ID surfaces & they are out of round. The dust cover ID is .020 out of round & the seal ID is .007 out of round. I just talked to the owner & he has never had any work done on the front end at all. This LT only has 18,000 miles on it. Has anyone seen tubes that look like this ?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed 's Fork Tube 005.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	895.4 KB
ID:	36024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed 's Fork Tube 004.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	36025  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Re: Fork Tube Seal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I'm replacing my first fork tube seal. The seal & dust cover area look like someone had trouble replacing them before. There are tool marks on the ID surfaces & they are out of round. The dust cover ID is .020 out of round & the seal ID is .007 out of round. I just talked to the owner & he has never had any work done on the front end at all. This LT only has 18,000 miles on it. Has anyone seen tubes that look like this ?.
That's wierd, Dave. Mine didn't look like that. And I'm pretty sure you've read thru this thread and the pics in it don't look like what you're experiencing. I guess the reason you're doing a fork seal replacement is because of a leak? Or an upgrade? Or??
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
That's wierd, Dave. Mine didn't look like that. And I'm pretty sure you've read thru this thread and the pics in it don't look like what you're experiencing. I guess the reason you're doing a fork seal replacement is because of a leak? Or an upgrade? Or??
Thanks for the link Dick & I had read it. This bike is rode once a year on a 4000 to 5000 mile trip & then sits until next year. I basically did a 24,000 mile service on this bike before his trip in two weeks. I did a 5 mile test ride & parked it in my garage.

While I was on the phone to him to let him know it was ready I noticed a few drops of red oil on the floor under the right side brake caliper. I traced the leak up to the fork seal. I know most of the employes at my local BMW dealer so I took it up to them to have a look at it. None of them had ever seen one look like that. There are no tool marks on the outward dent.

For now I'll install a new seal & dust cover so Ed & his wife can do there annual ride.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 11:07 am

Wow Dave, that was butchered by *someone*. I had a similar issue on my KLR from the previous owner. It was dropped hard at some point and had an even larger deformation in the same location.

I used a large socket inserted in the neck and managed to push it back out by gently rolling and tapping with a small ball peen - luckily without cracking the metal. I had a helper hold on to the socket with an extension to keep it "square" while I tapped. I was going to heat it first but afraid I might anneal it and make it softer/weaker. It didn't come out all the way, but enough so the seal fit in completely. It hasn't leaked in a couple of thousand miles - holding my breath since I don't feel like forking out a couple of hundred bucks for a new lower.

While you're there you might be interested in installing some boots to give the new seals even better protection - about $18.00 and another 15 minutes of time:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...stalling+boots

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Without knowing the orientation of the dents, I would guess crash damage.
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Without knowing the orientation of the dents, I would guess crash damage.
Robert
that would be my guess

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Put me on the list as # 4, for crash damage.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

The owner bought it new & it has 18,000 miles on it. It has never been crashed or dropped. This bike looks brand new & does not have a single scratch on it. It has been to the dealer three times once each for the 600, 6000 & 12,000 mile service.

I rode it 40 miles today & no leaks so far.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Gunther dropped it while building the fork at the factory. A quick glance around revealed no one was looking. Sooooooooo, together it went.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in