Adding CB and NAV to 05 KLT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Adding CB and NAV to 05 KLT

I have been reading old posts about CB and NAV installations and have discovered there are many options to choose from. I ride one up and ride alone
so the intercom would not be a benifit for me at this time. I would like to have a CB for road information etc. and will probably put intercom in at same time for future use and I think I need that for headset use. I still use a Garmin NUVI 500 so I cannot interface that with anything either. I think the J&M JMCB-2003E-BW looks very nice but with the antenna and head set looks like it would be around $1,000.00. Is anyone using anything else ? I see Midland has what looks like a hand held unit that is for motorcycles Midland 75-822/820 Portable 40-Channel CB Radio Kit but I want to be able to to use it with a headset too, the Midland with mounting hardware is around $300.00 and I am not sure of the range. I hope to be able to transmit and receive at least 1/2 mile on the road and I have read where EMI noise can cause the squelch to be set high closing that distance. Any current installations or recommendations for my 2005 KLT ? It does not have anything on it except the stock single CD and radio unit. I can not see any connections for a head set anywhere. I have read where some are using a Radio Shack hand held but I do not know if that can interface with a head set VOX application.

thanks for any information or links anyone can provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Re: Adding CB and NAV to 05 KLT

I'd take a look at the new Sena Bluetooth line, which has a 2-way radio (cb or gmrs/frs) option. Then look at a portable cb as you mention. I just finished installing a Starcom1 intercom integrated with my Zumo 660, gmrs radio, phone, intercom and more. That was painful but it's done (I had all the parts so I went for it). If I was starting fresh, even without the need for intercom, I'd look at the Sena. Hope this helps!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 5:54 am

I use a Garmin Nuvi 300, now 5 years old, with 2010 map update. This is the original Garmin model with MP3 player built in and slot for SD card. I just mount it on the oddments compartment cover using the windscreen mount, then run a 3.5 mm male x male cable to the AUX jack on the head unit. Power is from a cigarette lighter type plug under the seat piggy-backed onto the 12 volt merit plug on the RH side of the bike (always hot, not switched). It all works a treat, MP3 player output signal strength is excellent through the BMW audio, better than the CD player actually, and the GPS directions come in over the audio if it is playing (audio fades then comes back up as with the original headphones). The unit is of course not water-proof, but I just place a zip-lock plastic bag over it in wet weather, or simply clip it off if not required. I'm not sure if Garmin still market a unit with MP3/4 feature, so I really look after mine hoping it never dies.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 6:21 am Thread Starter

That sounds like it would work but I do not have an AUX jack on my sound system that I can find. I must have the most basic audio system that was available on the 2005 models. I think I read where you can add one to the speaker wires but I am not sure it would have the muting features like yours has.
Here are a few pics of my setup and all I have is three 12V outlets. I think the one up on the dash was installed by the PO and I use it for my Garmin NUVI 500.
thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I use a Garmin Nuvi 300, now 5 years old, with 2010 map update. This is the original Garmin model with MP3 player built in and slot for SD card. I just mount it on the oddments compartment cover using the windscreen mount, then run a 3.5 mm male x male cable to the AUX jack on the head unit. Power is from a cigarette lighter type plug under the seat piggy-backed onto the 12 volt merit plug on the RH side of the bike (always hot, not switched). It all works a treat, MP3 player output signal strength is excellent through the BMW audio, better than the CD player actually, and the GPS directions come in over the audio if it is playing (audio fades then comes back up as with the original headphones). The unit is of course not water-proof, but I just place a zip-lock plastic bag over it in wet weather, or simply clip it off if not required. I'm not sure if Garmin still market a unit with MP3/4 feature, so I really look after mine hoping it never dies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030955.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	36038   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030956.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	36039   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030957.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	36040   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030958.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	36041  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 6:49 am Thread Starter

It looks like I need to find and order the cable below to add the AUX jack to my 05 LT ? Can anyone confirm this is still a good part# and cable. Probably wait till winter to take the stingray out to install it. But if I go that far maybe I should add the voicecom II -- choices, choices and some are expensive but nice features to have.

TIA

Radio Auxiliary Input Kit - Genuine BMW
Fits BMW : 325Ci / 325Ci Convertible / 325I / 325I Wagon / 325xi / 325xi Wagon / 330Ci / 330Ci Convertible / 330I / 330xi / M3 / M3 Convertible
Auxiliary input lets you play your iPod or other MP3 player through your BMWs sound ...more info...
Part #: 82 11 0 149 389 ( 82110149389 )

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 6:47 am Thread Starter

They look like they would be a good choice and the reviews are favorable.
Hard wring will be my first choice if I can find something used or reasonable
in price. Looks like CB antenna is costly as well

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
I'd take a look at the new Sena Bluetooth line, which has a 2-way radio (cb or gmrs/frs) option. Then look at a portable cb as you mention.

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I definitely had the exact same audio system setup as you.

I believe the BMW Aux-in cable is the right part (a search on these forums should confirm it though - I didn't keep the original bag the one I bought came in so I have no way to find the part number). You'll likely also need an amplifier between the input to the Aux and the plug that goes in the back of the BMW radio, as most MP3 player units are not loud enough to get volume that you'll hear above 30mph. I used an Amplirider ($63 shipped, and I have zero affiliation or friendship - just went on others who said this worked) which works well. I had to cut the new BMW Aux-in cable and run one end to the Amplirider (in) and the other from the Amplirider (out) to the BMW stereo plug that came with the cable, which connects at the inside back of the stingray. That will get you Aux-in for the system you have. I also wired my GPS (Zumo 660) to that since the Amplirider has 3 inputs and mixes to one output, and I can hear the GPS (which also has a built-in MP3 player) on the bike speakers through the Aux-in. It's still not quite as loud as the CD or radio but it is loud enough to hear well at 65mph. I can't push the Amplirider volume higher to adjust for this as it overloads the input and distortion starts.

In addition I built my own unamplified mixer to run the aux-in and the GPS to my hard-wired Starcom1 intercom, which has the GMRS 2-way connection that works very well (I can hear in my helmet, not on the bike speakers). I added a switched relay circuit to this mixer (4-pole relay required - from eBay) so that I could turn the Aux-in and GPS/MP3 Player off from reaching the headset if I choose. Lastly I custom built a volume control for my Starcom1 intercom headset (i.e. volume to the helmet) and mounted that in my oddments box in the Stingray.The wiring harness is fairly large and I had to run that down the left side of the fuel tank along the seat post and into the area under the seats. This took a while to get right.

What you're talking about is all possible, but there's a bit of work involved, and when my other LT buddies saw what I was doing and they both said "no way - that's way beyond me". One of them, who has an '02 LTE with built-in intercom, FRS/GMRS and CB capability, commented "you basically made an LTE out of your '05 - cool!

So after all that, if I didn't have within $100 of what I needed, I would have looked at the Sena and CB/GMRS option for sure and maybe just added the Aux-in part alone.

Hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 30th, 2012, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

That helps alot and I thank you for the detailed valuable information !!
Sounds like a nice winter project when I can't be riding here in PA.

Thanks Again !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie
I definitely had the exact same audio system setup as you.

deleted content to save space

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in