Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FLorida, USA
Finally! Did an oil change. (Nightmare**)
If anyone has been following my postings you know I've had my LT for a short time now. The Harley Dealer said it was fully serviced when I bought it with 36.5K miles on it. I put another 1K miles and changed the oil in the engine and final drive. "YUK!" They lied. The oil was so dark and dirty. Fortunately there were no "sparkles" in the oil. The FD was pretty clean and canged it anyway.
The oil change took "all day" to perform. Biggest problem was getting the old oil filter removed. As everyone knows it's up in the oil pan with limited space to get a filter wrench up in there. After 3 trips to Autozone, I used a style "A" end filter remover to get it out. It was still too big so I used four layers of paper towels laid on filter's bottom and hammered the end filter on to the end. Used 3/8" ratched and backed the filted off. I'll "never" use an original filter again. For those who have not done it yet I listed the oil and filter I used.
1. K&N Filter #KN-163 filter (Has a nut welded on bottom for easy-off / easy-on)
2. Castrol 20w-50 oil ( Has recommended SF & SG API codes)
3. 5qt drain pan (I used an old 5qt cooking pot. It slides right under bike)
4. Use drain plug first then open filter access plate second. Very little mess if you do it in that order
5. Almost forgot. Buy a special long neck funnel. I bought a Wal-Mart plastic one and it "stunk!" Get one with flexable neck or your going to have a problem putting the oil in.
2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
Last edited by RonHolly; Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:08 pm.