Fogged-over oil sight glass - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Fogged-over oil sight glass

There are plenty of threads on fogged radio displays, but did not find a reference to a fogged oil sight glass, which is what I have.

When I put the old gal back together after replacing the clutch, I cleaned it with some Castrol degreaser and clear water.

Since then, I am unable to see through the oil sight glass. Tried cleaning, smearing a little oil on it, denatured alcohol, and such, but still cannot see through it.

Any clues?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fogged-over oil sight glass

Tony,

The are a couple ideas in this post here

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 32 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, John.

Would never have guessed it was that easy. Now I just have to find one...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 32 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Garage

You will find it at the dealer. And cheap too. Well, by BMW standards.
Or internet order, MaxBMW, etc.
Now. Am I wrong, or was the original in many cases plastic, whereas the new one is glass?
I would like to replace mine with a glass window. I think that might stay less cloudy.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #5 of 32 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 10:29 am

very easy to replace. pop the old one out with a screwdriver then use it or a socketto tap in the new one.
post #6 of 32 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Make sure it is not just full of oil. Next time you end a ride put it on the center stand before you shut her down and look at the glass. It should be empty. Then turn off the key and see if you can see the oil rising back up. She just may be above the glass when you are checking her.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 32 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Ordinarily I would suspect the same, but when I refilled the fluids after the clutch swap, I watched the glass as I filled, hoping despite the fogginess that I would be able to see the oil level.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #8 of 32 Old Jul 27th, 2012, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Picked up two at the dealer today. With tax about $53 each. Seems to still be plastic, not glass.

BMW p/n is 11-11-8-523-906, and they call it a Olstandsanzeige entkoppelt.

I bought two to have a spare in case anyone else runs into this problem and cannot find one locally or does not have a local dealer.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #9 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 1:08 am
Cat Herder

Garage

$53 each... Holy Crap... I had the dealer put in a new one a few years ago and I think it was $25 for the sight glass. Plus labor of course...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #10 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Just looked at invoice, I was off by just a little.

$102.56 for two is 51.28 per each ($47.37 plus $3.91 tax). Still, holy crap!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #11 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 6:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Picked up two at the dealer today. With tax about $53 each. Seems to still be plastic, not glass.

BMW p/n is 11-11-8-523-906, and they call it a Olstandsanzeige entkoppelt.

I bought two to have a spare in case anyone else runs into this problem and cannot find one locally or does not have a local dealer.
WOW, they have really gone up in price. I purchased a couple a few years back, and they were under $20 each then.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 6:25 am
cws

Garage

Stealers probably saw the other post about how easy it is to knock out & replace... decided to get their cut another way....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 6:26 am Thread Starter

I kid you not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2939.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	36020  

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #14 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 7:09 am

According to MAX BMW Parts Fiche they should be $33.12 each. Still pretty darn expensive.

04 11 11 8 523 906 SET: OIL LEVEL INDICATOR0.06 1 $33.12

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #15 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 8:56 am

Quote:
There are plenty of threads on fogged radio displays, but did not find a reference to a fogged oil sight glass, which is what I have.

When I put the old gal back together after replacing the clutch, I cleaned it with some Castrol degreaser and clear water.

Since then, I am unable to see through the oil sight glass. Tried cleaning, smearing a little oil on it, denatured alcohol, and such, but still cannot see through it.

Any clues?
sounds like your degreaser melted the sight glass. Im thinking your going to need to do the old school "headlight" treatment. Meaning sand the sight glass with a 1500 grit using strokes going horizontally, the 2000grit sanding vertically, then lastly 2500 grit sanding horizontally then buffing with the lens cleaner from the kit.

I would go to your local auto parts and look through the kits and find the one which INCLUDES the sand paper, if not, autozone sells sandpaper and keeps it back my the auto body supplies.
post #16 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
WOW, they have really gone up in price. I purchased a couple a few years back, and they were under $20 each then.

.....Thats the Plano price.....everything is big in Texas......
post #17 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 11:03 am

Polish that sight glass and it'll be good again.

I used Brasso, left over from my Marine Corps days. Little dab on a rag and have at it. Was good until the next time I used Brakekleen to wash off that little dab of oil that got away from me when filling the engine after an oil change.

B D R
post #18 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 12:40 pm

2 MONTHS AGO $19 & tax in Iowa city and its GLASS!!

Tom & Berta
<\\\><

THE EARLY BIRD MAY GET THE WORM
BUT ITS THE SECOND MOUSE THAT
GETS THE CHEEZE FROM THE TRAP!!
post #19 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

I called the stealer and explained the large gap in pricing. He told me they were free to set their own prices, and I agree. He told me he was a franchised BMW Dealer and had to pay for his brick and mortar, utilities, etc., and I agree with that 100% also. I pointed out they the other prices were also from franchised BMW dealers with similar types of expenses.

He told me that he probably has a lower price online also, although I did not check.

He said he wants to keep earning my business, and that he needed to talk to the G.M. to see what would be acceptable to them. I told him that would be fine and asked that he do it, to which he responded that I needed to come in and he would address it then. I asked if he could check with the G.M. and get some guidance so that when I came in to make the adjustment, I would not have to waste my time whilst they went back and forth and found time to research costs, etc. I was told it does not work that way, I needed to come in.

Seriously???

He was very amicable throughout the conversation, and I suspect he feels he did what he could to take care of me. Maybe he did, but it does not strike me that way.

At this point in the adventure, I am inclined to return the parts and source them elsewhere and/or simply polish the Lexan enough to be able to discern the oil level behind it. This has already turned into more trouble than it should be.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #20 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Even a dealership will often have lower prices when selling online than in the store.

When I had my Suzuki Boulevard I would check prices for stuff and order from a business called "Boulevard Suzuki" in Deland, FL. I think their brick & mortar name is Deland Powersports. When visiting my parents in the area one time we went by to buy some Suzuki passenger floorboards because of their GREAT price. Great until we got in the store where they were much higher and still would have had to pary FL sales tax. They politely explained that yes, their prices were lower online. I went to my parents house, ordered them online to be shipped to my home. They qualified for free shipping and were on the porch when we got home!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #21 of 32 Old Jul 28th, 2012, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Even a dealership will often have lower prices when selling online than in the store.

When I had my Suzuki Boulevard I would check prices for stuff and order from a business called "Boulevard Suzuki" in Deland, FL. I think their brick & mortar name is Deland Powersports. When visiting my parents in the area one time we went by to buy some Suzuki passenger floorboards because of their GREAT price. Great until we got in the store where they were much higher and still would have had to pary FL sales tax. They politely explained that yes, their prices were lower online. I went to my parents house, ordered them online to be shipped to my home. They qualified for free shipping and were on the porch when we got home!
So... they made less money AND had to eat shipping! Typical.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #22 of 32 Old Jul 29th, 2012, 9:08 am

You're getting that "Hometown" treatment from your dealer.. Just like I got from BMW OKC...

They didn't get my business because of that.... Now they're tits up and I bought their wheel spin balancer at auction for a stupid low price... I'm still kicking myself for letting the Coats tire machine get away... That went for $600.00 What's that 10% of what it cost ?

I just order online and wait a couple of days...Patience is something for us old guys...

Still getting my 15% off from Countryside BMW in Illinois.....And they're pretty fast...

Super fast when compared to Chicago BMW...

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #23 of 32 Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I called the stealer and explained the large gap in pricing. He told me they were free to set their own prices, and I agree. He told me he was a franchised BMW Dealer and had to pay for his brick and mortar, utilities, etc., and I agree with that 100% also. I pointed out they the other prices were also from franchised BMW dealers with similar types of expenses.

He told me that he probably has a lower price online also, although I did not check.

He said he wants to keep earning my business, and that he needed to talk to the G.M. to see what would be acceptable to them. I told him that would be fine and asked that he do it, to which he responded that I needed to come in and he would address it then. I asked if he could check with the G.M. and get some guidance so that when I came in to make the adjustment, I would not have to waste my time whilst they went back and forth and found time to research costs, etc. I was told it does not work that way, I needed to come in.

Seriously???

He was very amicable throughout the conversation, and I suspect he feels he did what he could to take care of me. Maybe he did, but it does not strike me that way.

At this point in the adventure, I am inclined to return the parts and source them elsewhere and/or simply polish the Lexan enough to be able to discern the oil level behind it. This has already turned into more trouble than it should be.
So... I made it back to the dealer, they gladly did a price match, and told me that they will pretty much always do a price match to other franchised dealer's prices. Good to know.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #24 of 32 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny

I used Brasso, left over from my Marine Corps days. Little dab on a rag and have at it. Was good until the next time I used Brakekleen to wash off that little dab of oil that got away from me when filling the engine after an oil change.

Thanks for the reminder, Gunny.

Broke out the old Brasso, removed the lower fairing, and now I can see my oil level again!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #25 of 32 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 8:26 am

Fogged over sight glass happened to me when I changed from Dino to Synthetic oils on 2 different bikes. Easy to change, and don't do business with a dealer who wants $50 for one, the guy is gouging your brains out and the brick and blocks argument doesn't hold water. Use the proper part #, knock the old one out with a screwdriver and a hammer, clean the area and all seating surfaces until they are DRY, find a socket of the proper size and gentley tap the new one in.

Regards,

Will
post #26 of 32 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 8:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3hawks
Fogged over sight glass happened to me when I changed from Dino to Synthetic oils on 2 different bikes.
Have been running synthetic for a long time, so pretty easy to rule that out.

I did recently change the clutch and used a degreaser to clean the engine. the "glass" fogged over as soon as I did that.

Brasso and a little elbow grease got me seeing again.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #27 of 32 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Brasso and a little elbow grease got me seeing again.
deputy5211, do you clean the outside of the sight glass, or take it out & clean the inside. I would think the inside is were the crud is, but what be I know?

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #28 of 32 Old Aug 20th, 2012, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
deputy5211, do you clean the outside of the sight glass, or take it out & clean the inside. I would think the inside is were the crud is, but what be I know?
Had to polish the sight glass (which is actually some form of plastic). The exterior got fogged by the chemical degreaser I used.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #29 of 32 Old Aug 21st, 2012, 4:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny

Most of the time the "fogging" of the oil sight glass is on the INSIDE, from deposits building up from the oil. Can't polish that out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #30 of 32 Old Aug 21st, 2012, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Most of the time the "fogging" of the oil sight glass is on the INSIDE, from deposits building up from the oil. Can't polish that out.
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 32 Old Feb 19th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Garage

I was about to ask if the window / glass could be cleaned, and then I saw the last post about cleaning it with a screwdriver. But, I haven't actually seen someone saying they have successfully done it. Next time I change my oil, I'll attempt it and put my results here.

About not checking the oil... that makes me nervous. You never know what could go wrong that ends up with a slow oil leak that will eventually get destructively low. You may stay lucky for many years until there's that one thing that ends up causing the demise of your engine. Mine is an occasional smoker. If I leave it on the side-stand while at work, about 1 out of 5 times I get a decent cloud of blue when starting it at the end of the day to go home. After thousands of miles worth of starts (many smoking ones) I would think that could be a significant amount of oil that goes up in smoke. In the years I've owned, I have definitely had to add oil to it. From now on, I'll keep it on the center-stand at home to keep it from smoking. I started doing that after one unusually-long time that it had been parked, and it left a smoke cloud for a significant distance down the road from my house. Rather embarrassing having to explain to the neighbors that my bike is not worn out and doesn't need fixing.
post #32 of 32 Old Feb 20th, 2018, 8:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No really good way to clean the sight glass, best to replace it ($44). I have tried a long tube on a can of Carb cleaner during an oil change with limited results. Even got the tube into one of the holes in the backing plate.

It is not the fact it is on the side stand but rather how long you hold it vertical (or lean slightly right) after a shutdown before you put it on the side stand. This allows the oil in the cylinders to drain out before you go to the side stand. Any oil behind the pistons will leak past the rings and thus the smoke.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in