Bad Clutch Cable???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Bad Clutch Cable????

So today I took the wife for a ride. When we were about 15 miles from home I noticed that when I was down shifting it was clunking harder than normal. Then as I was slowing down the next time it wouldn't come out of 5th easily. I kept pushing down finally shifted to 4th with a clunk then had to keep pushing down to get it to go into 3rd again a big cluck and the same going to second.

Anyway got it home and took the shifter apart and sprayed some WD40 on the shifter to make sure there wasn't something in there and now with it just sitting in the garage it shifts but erratically still with a clunk.

Also there was no slipping when I was driving.

Any thoughts before I start taking the beast apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Talking Re: Bad Clutch Cable????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhcurry
So today I took the wife for a ride. When we were about 15 miles from home I noticed that when I was down shifting it was clunking harder than normal. Then as I was slowing down the next time it wouldn't come out of 5th easily. I kept pushing down finally shifted to 4th with a clunk then had to keep pushing down to get it to go into 3rd again a big cluck and the same going to second.

Anyway got it home and took the shifter apart and sprayed some WD40 on the shifter to make sure there wasn't something in there and now with it just sitting in the garage it shifts but erratically still with a clunk.

Also there was no slipping when I was driving.

Any thoughts before I start taking the beast apart?
Howdy,
There is no clutch cable.

I'd suggest you remove the side plate with the foot lever on it and then the little wire clips that hold the linkage on the balls to make sure all 4 balls are screwed in tight and then lube the balls with lithium grease( a little dab). remove the shifter lever and make sure it is lubed(I use a light oil on that inner sleeve) and before reassembly make sure the lever falls free by turning the side plate up and down. The return spring inside the transmission isn't real strong so all the balls and lever must move easy. You can do all the above w/o removing any other tupperware.

Your trouble sounds like the foot lever wasn't coming up high enough to catch the next gear. If that happens again, don't stomp on the foot lever again, just raise it a bit with your toe and then down again and it should down shift.

If this isn't a fix for your problem then it is probably something going on inside the tranny.

You CAN break the shifter by stomping on it.

Hope that helps a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Bad Clutch Cable????

Quote:
I assume you know there is no clutch cable it's hydraulic.

When you say you took the shifter apart, what part did you take apart? You need to take all the ball joints apart, greese the joints ( not WD40 ) and reassemble.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 6:13 pm

If it's a K1200LT then it's a hydraulic clutch.. Better check the slave cylinder proto...
If you're losing fluid, Then you have an issue. The fluid increases in the clutch master cylinder as the clutch wears...

Don't refill and go on unless you're ready to buy a clutch..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
You don't say what year your RT is....This would help..
John
I thought this was a question about an Lt not an Rt. it's posted in the Lt forum.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 6:18 pm

I thought I looked and it was in the RT forum.. Corrections made...I guess even with this giant monitor, My eyes just aren't what they used to be...

Also check the shifter mechanism.. Known to cause this exact problem right before it breaks..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

I should clarify that I meant the shift linkage...there is a cable that goes from there to the tranny correct? That's the "clutch cable" I was referring to.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+++ on greasing you balls.. the 2 that the short rod is on, & the 2 the long rod is on. Also the bolt that holds the bell crank in should be taken out, & the parts inside were it pivots should get a little a grease in it too.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This will help you sort out the shift linkage

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Cool Re: Bad Clutch Cable????

Nope, no cable there either. It is a series of rods and bell-cranks connected with ball joints that do require inspection and greasing to prevent binding or breaking!

The link that John Z posted is a good picture of what the mechanism consists of.

Good luck!

John
Quote:
I should clarify that I meant the shift linkage...there is a cable that goes from there to the tranny correct? That's the "clutch cable" I was referring to.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Equal symptoms to mine when the slave cylinder started leaking. Not Good...

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in