Your first Day! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Your first Day!

Today Tues 7-24-2012 5 days of ownership of a 2009 LT. This bike was the first one that I looked at. 12,010 miles seems to have everything. I have a long time friend that has had many BMW's he rides a '04 1200 GT now with 55,000 miles on it. I have been riding since 1969 so am rather seasoned. 15 years ago I bought a 1992 1100 Shadow I havw put 35,000 miles on it.

This LT was the first one I looked at and rode. My buddy always wanted me to ride his bike. Though I knew I would want a BMW. I've put it off for more than 5 years. Never did ride his ride. Though decided to get a BMW to really ride with my wife like I want to.

On Craigslist saw a '09 LT for 15K at San Jose BMW. Called saturday and went to see it tuesday. Looked clean obviously not dropped. Did the credit check thing then rode it. Went out on 280 it seemed real tall! Rode well liked the motor, shifted well a little noisey compared to my old Honda. While changing lanes and hitting the turtles it seemed that there was alot of vibration on the foot pegs. I didn't force the suspension as the front tire was severely worn. Over all rode nice.

Upon returning spoke to Chris the owner about the suspension. He said that it probably was the pre-load.On day 5 I adjusted this down and all is well. The tallness that I experienced I would suggest owners to dial this down as this lowered the bike and made Stopping and Starting actually normal!
so 5 days and 500 mile later I am loving it.

Things I want ... seemless mp3 player.Oh that uses the existing controls. Not sure why this is so hard.

The only thing that I have had a issue with while riding is the cruise control. Wouldn't turn on twice in the last 5 days. Stopped and let it all reset and it worked again..

My advise to all is to lower pre-load and the beast won't be so top heavy....

thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 24th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Re: Your first Day!

Congratulations on the new LT and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will have a lot more advice for us after you have ridden a while longer and please know we will be anxious to her how its working for you over time. You may have already seen the posting that has been up for a few days about high miles on an LT and know that you have a lot to look forward to. It's going to be good.

I am glad you found an LT that has obviously not been down. That is a rare one indeed. It seems that most find a way to sneak in a nap during the first few hundred miles with a new rider so watch out for that. Experience would say watch out for those opportunities while turning at parking lot speeds and always try to stop with the front wheel pointing straight ahead. That is when the napping is most likely.

Forgive me for repeating myself but, it's going to be good.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 6:45 am

My first day:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

The Day after my first day:

Untitled by Matey-O, on Flickr

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 11:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherman

My advise to all is to lower pre-load and the beast won't be so top heavy....

thanks..
Welcome aboard. Don't go too low. Pre load should be adjusted to place you in the middle of suspention travel to take full advantage of what she has to offer. Run it too low and you will snag the centerstand in a corner and low side it. Sounds like you are going to have a good time with her!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 25th, 2012, 12:58 pm

You have to slooooow way down for speed bumps. those crash pans take a beating as it is. Lower her and it will make that worse.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 26th, 2012, 8:59 am

Welcome aboard, glad you found us. Now get off the computer and go ride it like you stole it!

Speaking of which, I'll catch you later...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in