Anyone moved their trunk back? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Question Anyone moved their trunk back?

Just got my 05 LT couple of weeks ago. I've been fortunate to have ridden about 1,000 miles already. I always ride 2 up and my SO is asking if the trunk will move back to give her more room. She's used to our Harley UltraClassic and has lots of room on it. She's quite petite (size 4, 5 feet 1 inch tall) so I don't think her size is the problem.
Any suggestions for more room? Anyone moved their trunk? Is it easily done?
Thanks in advance for your comments. Everyone here has really added to my enjoyment of my LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Moved mine back on the '02. Remove the trunk inner lining, remove the 4 bolts holding the trunk down. There are 4 bolts holding the back cover in place... Remove the bolts from the rear cover and move them up to the forward holes where the trunk was mounted. Secure the trunk... gain about an inch and a half to two inches. Very easy.

It may be worth while to use a phillips screwdriver to align the holes to re-install the trunk. Had trouble finding 1 bolt hole.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #3 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:30 pm

I moved mine a long time ago. I don't find the body lines as clean with the trunk moved back but the benefits make it worth it, especially after adding a back rest. The procedure is in the owners manual and several old posts. Just remove the bottom liner and you'll find the bolts.

post #4 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoltz112
Just got my 05 LT couple of weeks ago. I've been fortunate to have ridden about 1,000 miles already. I always ride 2 up and my SO is asking if the trunk will move back to give her more room. She's used to our Harley UltraClassic and has lots of room on it. She's quite petite (size 4, 5 feet 1 inch tall) so I don't think her size is the problem.
Thanks in advance for your comments. Everyone here has really added to my enjoyment of my LT.
If you received the small booklet named "Rider's Manual" with your LT, the procedure for moving the top case back an inch or so is covered in the book. That, coupled with some of the pics and instructions here should help you. Hope so.
post #5 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Concur with all of the above. Had the dealer move mine back during the 600 mile service, although I'm sure it's something I could handle.

My wife and I (neither one of us are "petite") both appreciate the extra approx. 2" of room. The rear profile of the bike does lose a little of its perfection but it's well worth it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Smile

I did it on my 05 right after I got it. My wife immediately complained about lack of room. The whole job took about 30 minutes and the instructions are in the manual. Easy fix.

Steve
post #7 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 5:31 am
cws

Garage
Yup, moved mine back about 2 months after I got the bike. Took about half an hour reading the manual.
My partner is also "petite", and didn't like it so much at first because she felt comfortably cosy in the forward trunk position and had plenty of room compared to the old K75RT. But after a couple of rides she was fine with it.
I found it a great benefit when I went on a solo 4 day trip with camping gear, the extra couple of inches meant the bag with all the tent gear and sleeping backs gave me a really great backrest on long-haul runs, without feeling squashed from behind.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:35 am

I got lucky, the bike I picked up had this done already, but it was going to be one of the first change I made if it hadn't been done, based on a prior test ride. As Dick said, the Riders Manual gives this process a good description. I don't know if it changes by model year, but I'd be happy to send you a PDF of the instructions from mine (02) if you are missing the manual. Good luck, it is worth the odd look of the top case not being aligned with the side cases.
post #9 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:43 am

Back, & then some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoltz112
I moved mine back soon after gettin' it in '02. My wife is small too, but appreciated the extra room. After several trips we heard about a set of adaptors that allowed moving the box back even further. Picked up a set from the classified section & put 'em on. Opens up the passenger area even more, doesn't harm either appearance or handling, & my wife enjoys the extra room.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #10 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 7:43 am

Wink Me too

Moved mine back too. My wife is thin, but like having the extra room...especailly since I have a driver's backrest.

Piece of cake to do. Took me 10 minutes with my air ratchet. Only tricky part for me was getting the plastic trunck liner pan out. But once you fiugure out how the plastic tabs are situated near the trunk latch, future removals are very easy. The easy ten step process is below;
1) Admit you have a problem...Just kidding. Remove passenger seat (two allen bolts)
2) Unplug wiring connectors to trunk(under passenger seat).
3) Open trunk, and then close the trunk latch(with trunk lid open)
4) Remove trunk liner pan
5) Remove 4 allen head bolts under liner.
6) Set trunk aside.
7) Remove four more allen head bolts that are directly behind the four bolt holes (that are now vacant from trunk removal)
8) Reinstall four bolts from step 6 in the forward holes
9) Reinstall trunk using the rearward holes. Did I just say rearward hole!! Yikes!
10) Enjoy

You get the point. Have fun.
Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #11 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:01 am

Cool Moved the trunk back

I agree with Toolman. Very easy to move. I have a back rest and my wife wanted the extra room. Follow the steps outlined by Toolman. 1/2 hour project at best.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #12 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:11 pm

FYI -- there is a further mod that can be done to move the top-case back another inch or so. It requires fabricating two small strips of metal but it adds a lot of use-ability if your pillion is not "petite". A search under top-case should yield the post but if you can't find it let us know. Some-one here will have the info.
post #13 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Ron Miller has a great mod which gives additional space for the rider. See http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...15&page=1&view

I did it and my wife loves it.

Hope this helps.

God bless:

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #14 of 22 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Thanks Chick - saved me looking for the link .
post #15 of 22 Old Jun 6th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Re: Anyone moved their trunk back?

[QUOTE=Chick]Ron Miller has a great mod which gives additional space for the rider. See http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...15&page=1&view

Ron
Great mod!
Ken
post #16 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:11 am

As I had posted before, moving the trunk back was one of the best things I have ever done to make our riding more enjoyable. My wife is short too, but she really likes the way the seat / butt / backrest junction works with the seat moved back. She even helped me when we moved it back.....we followed the instructions in the owners manual and with someone there to hold the trunk and the lid, it honestly only takes about 10 minutes......you will spend more time rounding up tools ahead of time.
My wife and I had owned an FLHTCUI before....and a Wing......move the trunk back and you will enjoy things a bunch more.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #17 of 22 Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:29 am

Moved mine immediately after I got it home in '03. Greatly improves my wife's comfort. I could not tell any diff in the the way the bike looks, but maybe I did not look closely enough to the "before" looks.

A little reported feature of the LT is how comfortable the passenger accommodations are, especially if you add armrests. Much more comfortable than Gold Wing. Which is to say, just about the most comfortable passenger perch in the world.
post #18 of 22 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:00 am

When you move the trunk back another thing you will notice is the added storage area it produces between the back of the seat and the trunk, my tent poles fit perfect there!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #19 of 22 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 12:21 pm

[QUOTE=BOHICA]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick
Ron Miller has a great mod which gives additional space for the rider. See http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...15&page=1&view

Ron
Great mod!
Ken
It looks like this link is dead. Anyone have a copy of it?
post #20 of 22 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 1:25 pm

SURPRISE SURPRISE, I went out to move the truck back as a nice gesture to the SO and low and behold it was already moved. PHEWWWWWWWWW saved me from being nice.

1982 Suzuki SP500 (traded)
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
1998 Honda Shadow 750 (traded)
2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado (sold)
2007 BMW K1200LT (son will inherit)
post #21 of 22 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:12 am

I just tried again for the link and it's working again. So to whoever fixed it thanks!

I pulled the seat and looked and I can see open front holes so I assume my trunk is already in the back position. It sticks out about an inch beyond the silver trim piece below it. So If my wife still want's more room (I'm going to add a backrest for me) I'll do the mod with the plates.
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:26 am

I moved mine back as soon as I learned it could be done. Not sure why anyone would NOT want to do it! Makes life much more enjoyable for the pillion passenger, and more room to stack crap on the back seat when riding alone!

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in