Dog carrier for back seat of LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Dog carrier for back seat of LT

I am trying to find a dog carrier that would fit on my back seat so I can take "Merlin" my wire hair fox terrier along with me. That's Merlin on my avatar He is a cu-el dood and I think he would enjoy it.
The problem I am having in the distance between my back rest and the rear backrest really limits the width of the carrier. He weighs about 18 pounds.
I have called manufacturers and searched fleabay and so far have not came up with anything. I would prefer something that had a lid that can open up so he can stick his head out.

thanks for any information or experience someone may have !

willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:39 am

Re: Dog carrier for back seat of LT

I wonder if you might be overly protective. A couple of years ago at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort, I saw a guy and his canine pillion pal. The only modification the rider had done was put a cover over the rear seat that allowed the dog to maintain traction. I don't remember if it was a sheepskin or something else but the dog just sat up and leaned in the curves. I admit that I probably would not try that myself but it worked for them.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:09 am

I remember seeing a photo of a guy from GA or FL that removed his top case and mounted a carrier in it's place... looked like it worked pretty well.

2012 K1600GT

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:30 am

You might already know this but there is an adjustment for the top case to move it farther back on the bike by an inch or so. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the first time. If you post a pic of your bike from the side it will be easy to tell if you have the box in the forward or rear position.

Additionally a member posted some time long ago a mod he did to move the case even farther back, search for ghetto mod # (i cant remember).

Edit: Apparently it is Ghetto Mod #694 linked here.
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:33 am

Hi Willie
T-Bags makes what you are looking for. Their pet carriers are made with side vented hatches and also a center hatch that the dog can poke his head through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieC
I am trying to find a dog carrier that would fit on my back seat so I can take "Merlin" my wire hair fox terrier along with me. That's Merlin on my avatar He is a cu-el dood and I think he would enjoy it.
The problem I am having in the distance between my back rest and the rear backrest really limits the width of the carrier. He weighs about 18 pounds.
I have called manufacturers and searched fleabay and so far have not came up with anything. I would prefer something that had a lid that can open up so he can stick his head out.

willie
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

How about a bottom half of a trunk lined with sheepskin and a short
leash to discourage jumping out
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
This is a brilliant idea, take the top off the trunk, I wonder if this would work for a baby seat for my little guy
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I know of a guy that rides an FJR and has cut a hole in his side case for his dog;. the dog sits in the side case and sticks his head out through the hole. He even added a plexiglass windscreen.

post #9 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
I wonder if you might be overly protective. A couple of years ago at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort, I saw a guy and his canine pillion pal. The only modification the rider had done was put a cover over the rear seat that allowed the dog to maintain traction. I don't remember if it was a sheepskin or something else but the dog just sat up and leaned in the curves. I admit that I probably would not try that myself but it worked for them.
Yes and that would be OK until Merlin saw a squirrel or other fur bearing animal.
He can really haul a$$ when he sees one and is in hot pursuit.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

I like this idea !!!
I will see if I can find a side bag cover that is scratched up and make one.
I had considered doing that to the top box lid but it appears that the hinges are permanately rivited on. Maybe I could drill tem out and put screw in but that is an expensive gamble if I screw it up.

thanks for the pictures !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
I know of a guy that rides an FJR and has cut a hole in his side case for his dog;. the dog sits in the side case and sticks his head out through the hole. He even added a plexiglass windscreen.

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by WillieC; Jul 19th, 2012 at 1:30 pm. Reason: remove duplicate pictures
post #11 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin

Good idea !
Maybe I can find a used bottom on fleabay and make a windshield for it. Only problem is that the top box holds alot of gear and is so handy when I ride. Maybe I can modify the hinges so that I can put the lid on and off easily.

thanks for the idea

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
I remember seeing a photo of a guy from GA or FL that removed his top case and mounted a carrier in it's place... looked like it worked pretty well.
I had thought about doing that but I use the top case so much when I ride for storing my helmet etc. when I park. I was wondering how much time it takes to remove the trunk and put it back on .Guess I will have to do it and see.

Thanks !

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
You might already know this but there is an adjustment for the top case to move it farther back on the bike by an inch or so. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the first time. If you post a pic of your bike from the side it will be easy to tell if you have the box in the forward or rear position.

Additionally a member posted some time long ago a mod he did to move the case even farther back, search for ghetto mod # (i cant remember).

Edit: Apparently it is Ghetto Mod #694 linked here.
Thanks for the link looks like I could do that !!
Posting a pic of my LT, as it is, so you can see if the trunk is back as far as it can go.

Thanks for the information

Thanks very much !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 K1200LT_800X600.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	35946  

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 2:25 pm

That trunk is not yet moved back. To move it, remove the inner liner...carefully. There are two tabs near the latch that must be relieved before the liner can be lifted (without breaking them). The front of the liner is velcroed. Once the liner is removed, you'll see four screws. Remove them, move the trunk back to line up with the rear-ward mounting holes. Re-installation is the reverse of removal.
Quote:
Posting a pic of my LT, as it is, so you can see if the trunk is back as far as it can go.

Thanks very much !!

'15 GTLE

post #15 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I've strapped a cat carrier (small walmart one - oughta fit an 18lb dog) to the back seat with one of those bungee nets many times.

The guy I buy pheasant and quail for training my hunting dog from lives quite a ways away, but Iv'e got a coworker who lives nearby, so he takes the cage and brings it to work with some birds, I strap it on the back and ride home with it, Not quite the motorcycle/chicken pictures from Vietnam et al, but same idea. It doesnt' fit now that I've got a Bakup backrest on, but without it, fits just fine.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
That trunk is not yet moved back. To move it, remove the inner liner...carefully. There are two tabs near the latch that must be relieved before the liner can be lifted (without breaking them). The front of the liner is velcroed. Once the liner is removed, you'll see four screws. Remove them, move the trunk back to line up with the rear-ward mounting holes. Re-installation is the reverse of removal.
Very cool, I will do that as soon as I get my LT back. It will still be in the shop for about a week, waiting on a used swingarm from CA to arrive. That may just be enough to make a regular dog crate fit.

thanks !

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #17 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Quote:

Thanks very much !!
You have it in the forward positon, as BMW mad the bike you can buy about 1.5 inch by changing it to the rear position, it really is as simple as removing the rear seat (2 screws and a couple wiring connections for heated seat and the stereo controls etc in the trunk), then popping out the trunk liner and from there it is 8 screws. Easy and quick, just make sure that you are careful removing the liner and don't let the lid flop when you remove that strap.
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Sounds fairly easy and thanks for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
You have it in the forward positon, as BMW made the bike you can buy about 1.5 inch by changing it to the rear position, it really is as simple as removing the rear seat (2 screws and a couple wiring connections for heated seat and the stereo controls etc in the trunk), then popping out the trunk liner and from there it is 8 screws. Easy and quick, just make sure that you are careful removing the liner and don't let the lid flop when you remove that strap.

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
I ran into this guy up on Whiskey Row a year or two ago, Duke seems like a pretty happy camper in that saddlebag, truly an awesome setup he has, form following function for certain.
post #20 of 27 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Super Moderator

Not exactly what you were looking for but . . .

If you were inclined you could swap the positions the trunk and the cage and maybe
compress the outfit - just saying

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 6:29 am

Look here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hlight=carrier Post number 5

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 9:05 am

This looks like by far the best arrangement... Wish my dog didn't weigh in at 60 pounds...
Make sure you put some brake/signal lights on it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #23 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Not exactly what you were looking for but . . .
If you were inclined you could swap the positions the trunk and the cage and maybe
compress the outfit - just saying
Very interesting idea !
I could put the angle aluminum rails on and then put a variety of cages on it.

Thanks

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:01 am

Quote:

willie
Hi there, I too have a wire haired fox terrier and would love to take him for runs with me. I don't know whether this could be done, but I've been thinking about this for a while. I have thought of getting a second lid to the main top box and fitting it with a reasonable sized hole for my dog's movement complete with a small windscreen. I have also seen some good strong harnesses that I would secure him into the box also. I don't know whether I would have to have the lid customised if it was not deep enough maybe, but I am sure it could be done. I've seen the photos below and that seems like another good way, but I don't think my foxy would like to be put in a cage. My wife says I pamper him a little too much.
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:07 am Thread Starter

This is my fourth Wire Hair that "has owned me" over the past 40 years. They are a great breed but not for everyone as they are very active? I think modifying the top case is the best idea and I know they would love going for the ride.

Hope you can make it happen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatto
Hi there, I too have a wire haired fox terrier and would love to take him for runs with me. I don't know whether this could be done, but I've been thinking about this for a while. I have thought of getting a second lid to the main top box and fitting it with a reasonable sized hole for my dog's movement complete with a small windscreen. I have also seen some good strong harnesses that I would secure him into the box also. I don't know whether I would have to have the lid customised if it was not deep enough maybe, but I am sure it could be done. I've seen the photos below and that seems like another good way, but I don't think my foxy would like to be put in a cage. My wife says I pamper him a little too much.

der kleine fuchs

Henry David Thoreau
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2012, 3:21 am

Willie,

My rails allow me to push the trunk a couple inches beyond factory.

I can send a couple of photos if you would like to see it.

Just PM me.

Cheers
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 9:04 am

Quote:
This is my fourth Wire Hair that "has owned me" over the past 40 years. They are a great breed but not for everyone as they are very active? I think modifying the top case is the best idea and I know they would love going for the ride.

Hope you can make it happen !
This one's my first and he became part of my family in no time. He is very active and he is very much like 'Tigger' from Winney the pooh! I used to have a Welsh Terrier a while back, but they fought each other so the Welsh one had to go. I saw other photos of a pannier with a hole cut out it, but I don't know if it was K12, but mine wouldn't fit in there. Modification of the top box seems to me to be a more realistic way of providing a good carriage for our dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in