Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 1:44 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

OK, so I have a Schuberth C3 and the sheild got badly scratched..

I ordered what I thought was a replacement pair and apperantly it only comes with the Shield and the inner shield is sperate.

NOW the problem is that the original sheild had some form of "sticky" that kept the Shield in place and kept the moisture out.

Has anyone replaced the C3 shield with the pinlock insert?

If so did you have to order a replacement insert?

If not, how did the old insert work on the new Sheild?

LASTLY, shouldn't they sell them as a pair already installed at the factory so that people like me don't f' them up when we try to match the pair togther?

Thanks for your .02 cents.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pauleknight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 7:11 pm
Senior Member
 
MarinPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Rafael, Ca., USA
Posts: 293
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
OK, so I have a Schuberth C3 and the sheild got badly scratched..

I ordered what I thought was a replacement pair and apperantly it only comes with the Shield and the inner shield is sperate.

NOW the problem is that the original sheild had some form of "sticky" that kept the Shield in place and kept the moisture out.

Has anyone replaced the C3 shield with the pinlock insert?

If so did you have to order a replacement insert?

If not, how did the old insert work on the new Sheild?

LASTLY, shouldn't they sell them as a pair already installed at the factory so that people like me don't f' them up when we try to match the pair togther?

Thanks for your .02 cents.
1- yes visor and inner pinlock insert -seperate items.
2-The sticky stuff is a bead of sillycone that seals the insert to the visor The bead is on the insert.. If you remove the PL insert many times the sillycone tens to dry up and well-have to be replaced-just the insert.
3- so your visor is scratched-if you cant get the scratch out guess you have to buy a new one-Visor. If the sillycone on the insert is still good then just use it on the new visor.

4-My C3 came with a Pinlock and insert. Yea, you have to purchase both serprately-insert comes in different tinting flavors. Going one 5 years and the sillycone on the insert is still good.

Now, the little pinlock pins-don't lose those little buggers-kit comes with extras- are eccentric in shape. With your reading glasses on-have the little pointer facing towards the middle of the visor on both sides. This is the position for the tightest fit.

Just purchased a Shoei Quest and had to buy PL and insert seperately. Wouldn't be without them in my climate. The visor on the quest is huge and so is the insert-much bigger than the insert on the C3.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.
MarinPhil is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:29 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinPhil
1- yes visor and inner pinlock insert -seperate items.
2-The sticky stuff is a bead of sillycone that seals the insert to the visor The bead is on the insert.. If you remove the PL insert many times the sillycone tens to dry up and well-have to be replaced-just the insert.
3- so your visor is scratched-if you cant get the scratch out guess you have to buy a new one-Visor. If the sillycone on the insert is still good then just use it on the new visor.

4-My C3 came with a Pinlock and insert. Yea, you have to purchase both serprately-insert comes in different tinting flavors. Going one 5 years and the sillycone on the insert is still good.

Now, the little pinlock pins-don't lose those little buggers-kit comes with extras- are eccentric in shape. With your reading glasses on-have the little pointer facing towards the middle of the visor on both sides. This is the position for the tightest fit.

Just purchased a Shoei Quest and had to buy PL and insert seperately. Wouldn't be without them in my climate. The visor on the quest is huge and so is the insert-much bigger than the insert on the C3.

So it seems that if the silicone is "gone" or dried up the entire insert has to be replaced...

Is that correct?

I do not see myself putting new Silicone on the insert from Home Depot...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pauleknight is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:17 am
Member
 
sweetride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: College Place, WA, USA
Posts: 48
Red face Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

You are correct about the silicone drying out and staying with the old shield. I just am in the process of replacing my scratched visor. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE they are definitely different. I didn't have any problem moving the insert from the old visor to the new one - I am assuming you've removed the visor from the helmet.
sweetride is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetride
You are correct about the silicone drying out and staying with the old shield. I just am in the process of replacing my scratched visor. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE they are definitely different. I didn't have any problem moving the insert from the old visor to the new one - I am assuming you've removed the visor from the helmet.

Yes I removed the scratched outer visor and the inner shield and lost the silicon.

I guess I need to order a new inner shield also.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pauleknight is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 7:31 pm
Senior Member
 
MarinPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Rafael, Ca., USA
Posts: 293
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

yes, new both. Price we pay for a proper/no fog visor.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.
MarinPhil is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 6:36 am
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

And worth every penny! A simply amazing product.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 9:57 am
Senior Member
 
hallzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,571
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

+1 on what Loren said.... Sucks that you bought another, but IMO it is worth it.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
hallzee is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:17 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

I just wish I had known that I should have ordered a pair.

Now I have to pay shipping all over again.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pauleknight is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 6:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,881
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

I separate my Pinlock at least once a month to clean them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 8:15 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Schuberth Pinlock and inner shield help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I separate my Pinlock at least once a month to clean them.

Dave,

It would not surprise me if you took out the clutch once a month just to clean and polish the surface and the same for the camshaft.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pauleknight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome