Switched Power for Radio Install? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 1:54 am Thread Starter

Switched Power for Radio Install?

Electric connection help request!

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to wire the Jensen 2212 into the bike with a switched power (only on when key is on). I cannot locate a green-violet running from the circular connector and don't know if any of the other connectors have the wire I need to connect for switched power!

According to the Clymer's diagram (pgs 604-605) , the only green w/blue stripe leads from #3 on the OEM radio control unit to the "Load Relief Relay" to #5 on the Intercom System. Unless this draws power from within the circuitry board in the OEM Radio Display unit, I don't know where the green w/blue strip would draw power?

If anyone has figured out how to make this a switched power (hot only when the key is on), PLEASE share with this novice on the "how-to" make it switched power!

Thanks!
Kenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 3:47 am

Re: Switched Power for Radio Install?

Does not have diagrams available now, but the original radio gets powered always when the ignition switch is not in the steering lock position. So there is not "switched connection" available to radio. If I would need to build such, I would use direct connection (using fuse of course) from the battery through the relay controlled by rear-seat heating connector (there is switched connection).

Seppo

Born to be wild so why not

post #3 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to wire the Jensen 2212 into the bike with a switched power (only on when key is on). I cannot locate a green-violet running from the circular connector and don't know if any of the other connectors have the wire I need to connect for switched power!

According to the Clymer's diagram (pgs 604-605) , the only green w/blue stripe leads from #3 on the OEM radio control unit to the "Load Relief Relay" to #5 on the Intercom System. Unless this draws power from within the circuitry board in the OEM Radio Display unit, I don't know where the green w/blue strip would draw power?

If anyone has figured out how to make this a switched power (hot only when the key is on), PLEASE share with this novice on the "how-to" make it switched power!

Thanks!
Kenny
DUPLICATE SEE BELOW..

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr

Thanks!
Kenny

On my 2005 LT, I tapped into the 15A ignition circuit in a fuse block under the pillion seat. It is on the fused side. I used a 3M inline tap. This circuit is now double fused since there is already a fuse located on the Jensen. If I recall, on the 2005, the wire is Purple with a black stripe.

When I get some time, I will post the pictures from my Jensen 2212 install. I mounted the head unit/amp in the RH saddlebag on the back wall. I like having a 'glove compartment' up front.

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Got it done with current wires thanks to Cochinosucio (Matthew)!

The solution was to connect the Jensen 2212 harness power (red wire) to the OEM harness purple with black stripe wire located on the wire that connected to the radio LCD display (#8 on pg 604 in the Clymer's manual)! Now I have a fully functional switched radio that turns on only when the key is on!

More to folllow once I button it all up, consolidate all the good advice about the Jensen install and do a quick reference for others to use as a one-stop shop!

Again....thanks Matthew!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in