Need help with new communications systems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Need help with new communications systems

On my 07 I presently have both his and her Nolan helmets with J&M hardwired speakers and mic via BMW com 2. I hard wire my Zumo 550 to phone jack in oddments box as well as the i-pod to aux jack. This works OK. Getting ready to purchase new Helmets and com equip. I am completely audiophile challenged. I have read many threads on different BT vs Hardwired systems that guys use but I am not clear on the step by step mechanics of hooking what to where etc. I am looking for suggestions as to the easiest and least expensive way to set-up the following: Intercom, I-pod, phone, Zumo 550 and occasional radio. I am open to both hardwired and BT set-up suggestions. Again please explain the actual mechanics in detail as to how you do your set-up as I am a little slow in the electronic advances and terminology. Thanks in advance since this has most likely been asked many times before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Re: Need help with new communications systems

I've just completed a hard wire of a Starcom1 system and integrated it into my '05 (meaning the GPS plays through the external speakers and can be switched on and off into the helmet speakers, has GMRS 2-way radio, new amplified Aux-in and more). To say it was complicated would be an understatement as the wiring loom I had to make was rather large with many plugs and a lot of drilling and soldering to go with it. It works really well, but frankly I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone other than someone who is not concerned about soldering electronics etc. I had the Starcom1 system already, so it was cheaper for me (labor was free coz it was just me) to go this route than buy a new System setup.

Given you said you're not an audiophile etc I would take a look at the Sena systems, and I would watch the videos on Revzilla.com since they give enough information to give you confidence. The higher end model Sena system has enough to handle GPS, phone and more - even a 2-way radio option - so it looks like a good solution. This is of course IMHO - I hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Re: Need help with new communications systems

Thanks Rowie I'll check this out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in