BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I did it!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wyowolf 
#1 ·
I test drove an LT today and DID NOT drop it!! :dance: :dance:

Seriously, was my first LT test drive and I was super intimidated after reading all the drop threads. Once I got underway all was great, it sure is a high revving engine!

I didn't have any problems with slow speed, but i didn't do a whole lot of maneuvers. I just did what everyone says, stop straight, eyes up, first gear, left foot down. I know I need a LOT more practice to be comfortable with it, but it wasn't as bad as i had feared. I am on the shorter side and could just barely flat foot this LT, a 2007. the 2002 I had wanted was sold, and i could easily flat foot it...

It is a heavy bike and i could easily see how it could go down, especially with the super sensitive brakes!

I only rode about 20 mins so it wasn't a complete test drive, but i loved it.. very comfortable and easy to maneuver at speed.

There was a 2005 that had a Mayer or Long seat, not sure which, but it made it very difficult to put both feet down on that one, so i didn't try it.

So now the search is on, thanks to everyone on this site for all your help, and many many hours reading threads..

Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool beans, Frank. I'm glad you were able to take the ride and I'm not surprised you were pleased or that you were able to keep the shiny side up. It's not hard but you do have to keep your focus as it is just different from other bikes - great but different. It's that different part that makes letting her nap a greater possibility but once you reprogram your reflexes the top heavy problem is mostly gone.

#3 ·
The trick on the custom seat is to slide forward as you come to a stop. I felt the same way 8 years ago when I test drove an LT. Heck I stood in the show room for two hours just looking at it before I got the nerve up. Once underway all fears melted and I still enjoy every minute I get to ride!!

#4 ·
There were some geometry changes to the front end on 2005 and up models that makes it easier to handle at low speeds. The '02 that you were looking at will ride differently than the 07 you test drove so bear that in mind. Others can comment more authoritatively as I have yet to ride an 05+ model with the modified rake (I think that is what they changed).

When I let someone ride my LT or give advice (like I'm qualified) to anyone riding one for the first time it is this: respect the weight of the LT but do not fear it. I think being afraid will in the end get you in a worse bind than just knowing it is a factor and you have to plan for it. I know everyone talks about how easy it is to drop, but as far as maneuverability I find it to be only a smidgen (technical term) more challenging than my R1200C.

If the price is right on the '05 and the colors are compatible have the dealer swap the custom for the stock. Also, don't forget to check the shock preload adjustment before any more test drives if you are a bit on the shorter side of things, if I had to guess I would say that is why you couldn't flat-foot the '07 you rode, and you might be able to flat-foot the '05 if the preload was set right. The guy I bought my LT from didn't even know that there was an adjustment :)

#5 ·
Yes i wondered how much different the handling was between the two, the 2002 also had Olins ? shocks, not sure if thats why it sat lower or not.

the wife did enjoy sitting on it though :D but i need to get some practice before i let her on...

your right about respecting and not fearing it. as long as your careful its not that bad. Not sure if i could do the ride like a pro course with it, would need some practice :)

To me the RT wasnt mmuch easier even though it was lighter, it sat up too tall. I felt like i was part of the LT, the RT felt like i was riding it....

I am renting an RT in Jackson next week so maybe that will give me some more practice...

Thanks again...

copperstatetour said:
There were some geometry changes to the front end on 2005 and up models that makes it easier to handle at low speeds. The '02 that you were looking at will ride differently than the 07 you test drove so bear that in mind. Others can comment more authoritatively as I have yet to ride an 05+ model with the modified rake (I think that is what they changed).

When I let someone ride my LT or give advice (like I'm qualified) to anyone riding one for the first time it is this: respect the weight of the LT but do not fear it. I think being afraid will in the end get you in a worse bind than just knowing it is a factor and you have to plan for it. I know everyone talks about how easy it is to drop, but as far as maneuverability I find it to be only a smidgen (technical term) more challenging than my R1200C.

If the price is right on the '05 and the colors are compatible have the dealer swap the custom for the stock. Also, don't forget to check the shock preload adjustment before any more test drives if you are a bit on the shorter side of things, if I had to guess I would say that is why you couldn't flat-foot the '07 you rode, and you might be able to flat-foot the '05 if the preload was set right. The guy I bought my LT from didn't even know that there was an adjustment :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.