What A Difference! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Wow! What A Difference! PreLoad Refill Worked Wonders

Yesterday, I finished replacing my clutch, seals, slave cylinder, plugs, air filter, fluids and oil filter, and refilled the rear preload adjuster. (Details in this thread).

I rode the bike a few times around the neighborhood yesterday to be sure all was working -- it was -- and then last evening I rode it a bit further and took her onto the freeway.

All I can say is WOW! The clutch is how it should be, and the engine purrs, but what really stands out (besides the clutch not slipping and the clutch now engaging much closer to the 'in' position) is the feel of the suspension with the refilled preload adjuster! I am still looking for a place to install the new HyperPro springs onto my shocks, and can hardly wait to see how much of an improvement they give if the preloader alone made such a difference.

Refilling the preload adjuster is a simple process, you just need to remember to do ALL of the steps. DAMHIK

If anyone in the DFW area wants to do this but is hesitant to do it themselves, PM me and I will be happy to have you over and show you how it is done. Cost is virtually nil, total time is under thirty minutes, and the effect is immediate!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deputy5211; Jul 13th, 2012 at 3:03 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Re: What A Difference!

I've been folowing what you have gone thru Tony, very frustrating, especially with certified wrenches not having a clue that an oil leak can take out the clutch and not show visable signs of leajage.

Glas to see you are back on the road again.

I'll be replacing my slave cylinder this winter along with installing an "oil proof" clutch and replacing seals.

Course, as we who live in the 100+F endless summers know, winter is the only time we can do wrenching without roasting.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Congradulations....I know you suffered with the task.....but....now we in South Central have our own expert......you the Man

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?

post #4 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Course, as we who live in the 100+F endless summers know, winter is the only time we can do wrenching without roasting.
+1
post #5 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Congradulations....I know you suffered with the task.....but....now we in South Central have our own expert......you the Man

I dunno about being an expert, Jim.

I just do not have trouble following directions and not to proud to ask those more experienced than I for help when something does not seem right.

Just the same, it is done, working great, and I am glad to join you in the happy dance!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Was originally going to do it in the winter, but had a couple of surgeries come up. I figured I could let it ride and milk it along for the summer, but with a trip to Wisconsin coming up and Suzanne wanting to take the bike, I did not dare risk it. The pressure was good for me, I work well under pressure. That said, sooooo glad that task is done!

From the time I started in the morning until when I knocked off at night, it was not unusual for me to show a six pound difference in my weight... almost a gallon's worth. And that is just laying on my back and side mostly, and trying to stay hydrated.

Yup, summer is NOT the best time to do this kind of thing!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #7 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Expert:

ex is a has-been.
spert is just a drip under pressure.

Me thinks they're making fun of you.
post #8 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Expert:

ex is a has-been.
spert is just a drip under pressure.

Me thinks they're making fun of you.
Me thinks you are as well.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #9 of 31 Old Jul 13th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Me thinks that you thinks good.
But...when I thinks too hard, I falls asleep. nite nite
post #10 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 6:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Expert:

"ex" is a has-been.
"spurt" is just a drip under pressure...
A little off-topic, but: That is a blast from the past. In college many years ago I saw a video presentation where the speaker said that, and drew a little diagram on a chalkboard to demonstrate it. Do you know where you heard that little saying? Just curious. I've never heard anyone else say it, although I do once in awhile.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 6:10 am

Garage

I'm getting my LT back today from the Dealer. I'm hoping for the same results. Can't wait!!!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I'm getting my LT back today from the Dealer. I'm hoping for the same results. Can't wait!!!
Hooo-Yah! Hope you do too, Rob.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
A little off-topic, but: That is a blast from the past. In college many years ago I saw a video presentation where the speaker said that, and drew a little diagram on a chalkboard to demonstrate it. Do you know where you heard that little saying? Just curious. I've never heard anyone else say it, although I do once in awhile.

I have been using it as well for about 25-30 years myself. Chalkboard, what is a chalkboard? LoL remember the "clouds" we used to make with two erasers? Remember what a PITA it was when it was your turn to wash it? Good times!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #14 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 11:24 am

Tony!
Great news to hear you're up and about after your trip up north!

FWIW: I had my Hyper Pro springs changed out at the Honda Powersports on IH35 just North of Round Rock for a 12-pack of Shiner!
Not saying you need to travel down here to do that, especially since you have to take your bike apart again to change out your springs, but you might have some luck at one of the major motorcycle dealers up there for a 12-pack! The HD threw an unbelievable figure of $100 at me and all I could do was scoff! I was going to try and do this myself, but having the right tools is a major bonus and I didn't feel like spending the mula for a one-time-use thing!

The new springs appear to make a huge difference just looking at it....haven't tried it out yet and cannot wait to feel the difference! With a complete 12k service and getting ready to do the Jensen 2212 install today.....Belle should be ready to rock and roll!

BTW....thanks for the "eyes" you sent!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #15 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 11:48 am

Actually, Tony, in your post, I wasn't sure if you were commenting about the change in clutch or the change in suspension.
If you were talking about the change in suspension, you're in for a treat when you put on aftermarkets.
THAT will open your eyes.
post #16 of 31 Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Tony!
Great news to hear you're up and about after your trip up north!

FWIW: I had my Hyper Pro springs changed out at the Honda Powersports on IH35 just North of Round Rock for a 12-pack of Shiner!
Not saying you need to travel down here to do that, especially since you have to take your bike apart again to change out your springs, but you might have some luck at one of the major motorcycle dealers up there for a 12-pack! The HD threw an unbelievable figure of $100 at me and all I could do was scoff! I was going to try and do this myself, but having the right tools is a major bonus and I didn't feel like spending the mula for a one-time-use thing!

The new springs appear to make a huge difference just looking at it....haven't tried it out yet and cannot wait to feel the difference! With a complete 12k service and getting ready to do the Jensen 2212 install today.....Belle should be ready to rock and roll!

BTW....thanks for the "eyes" you sent!
Kenny,

Honda (Maxim) tried but did not have correct attachment, HD said they could not compress since no tool, half a dozen car shops, including Firestone and Goodyear said they did not have the tool for that shock. Guess I could call the BMW shop, but not optimistic.

There are a few good-sized dealers across town where I used to live. Will try to remember to try those when I go over next week to pick up Mozzie for the week.

I put spare shocks on the bike when it was apart so I could have the new HP springs put on "my" shocks. I will swap them next time I do service... If I find a place up here to mount springs!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 31 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 10:06 am

the jig to change the springs is not hard to build a couple pieces of ready rod and two
small (8 inch pieces of 6 inch flat stock)plates and a hole saw.it took me about a 1/2 hour to build. i am sure some one close to you has one. start a new thread you will find one. and you will like the diffrence they make
post #18 of 31 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 1:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Tony,
I have the compressor that Haughty made. Also have a set of
shocks with Hyperpro springs mounted. Swap your shocks and springs
for mine if you want. Your choice, can bring next weekend.

Dan
post #19 of 31 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 3:01 pm

if I had seen this video before my spring change would have tried it, I have the straps, I used my car srpring compressors for the front but being too big was a little tricky - borrowed the top plate for the rear from another member

copy/paste - Polaris RZR Spring Replacement - Super ATV

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #20 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Tony,
I have the compressor that Haughty made. Also have a set of
shocks with Hyperpro springs mounted. Swap your shocks and springs
for mine if you want. Your choice, can bring next weekend.

Dan
Sounds like an idea, Dan. Front shock is still on the bike. Rear shock is off, though, and sitting with its spring. Even if we swap rears, I would still need to have a way to do spring on front.

Any chance I could borrow the compressor for a bit to get it done?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #21 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
if I had seen this video before my spring change would have tried it, I have the straps, I used my car srpring compressors for the front but being too big was a little tricky - borrowed the top plate for the rear from another member

Gary,
The Link did not survive the copy/paste operation.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #22 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

tried to copy it - if you google it you will find it - an interesting way to compress springs if you have the tie down straps

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #23 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Tie down straps? Thins I have got to see!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #24 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45

Here is a working link to the video: Clickety Click

Looks simple enough. All of my ratchet straps have hooks, though. Looks like some of the ones used in the video used to have hooks, and they were cut off and the strap tied on in its place.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #25 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Wink Re: What A Difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Looks simple enough.
Hmmm. Sounds like another gash waiting to happen; I'll hold your beer for you while you make the attempt!
I guess there is a lot to be said for having the right tool for the job.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #26 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Here is a working link to the video: Clickety Click

Looks simple enough. All of my ratchet straps have hooks, though. Looks like some of the ones used in the video used to have hooks, and they were cut off and the strap tied on in its place.
Interesting video...hope your fingers are as fast as his. Must be able to rent the right tool from some rental place, out here we have taylor rental and they have most everything.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #27 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sounds like an idea, Dan. Front shock is still on the bike. Rear shock is off, though, and sitting with its spring. Even if we swap rears, I would still need to have a way to do spring on front.

Any chance I could borrow the compressor for a bit to get it done?
The compressor won't fit in the trunk. I'll bring the shocks Sat. But if my daughter drives to Dallas Fri or Sat,I'll send it with her.

Dan
post #28 of 31 Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Cool... Thank you!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #29 of 31 Old Aug 7th, 2012, 6:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Wow! What A Difference! PreLoad Refill Worked Wonders

Quote:
Yesterday, I finished replacing my clutch, seals, slave cylinder, plugs, air filter, fluids and oil filter, and refilled the rear preload adjuster. (Details in this thread).

I rode the bike a few times around the neighborhood yesterday to be sure all was working -- it was -- and then last evening I rode it a bit further and took her onto the freeway.

All I can say is WOW! The clutch is how it should be, and the engine purrs, but what really stands out (besides the clutch not slipping and the clutch now engaging much closer to the 'in' position) is the feel of the suspension with the refilled preload adjuster! I am still looking for a place to install the new HyperPro springs onto my shocks, and can hardly wait to see how much of an improvement they give if the preloader alone made such a difference.

Refilling the preload adjuster is a simple process, you just need to remember to do ALL of the steps. DAMHIK

If anyone in the DFW area wants to do this but is hesitant to do it themselves, PM me and I will be happy to have you over and show you how it is done. Cost is virtually nil, total time is under thirty minutes, and the effect is immediate!
Is this what you needed to purchase HyperPro springs for the front and rear?

SP-BM12-SSL002

EPM Performance specified that these are for the front forks and rear shock. The front fork springs are throwing me off since we don't have front fork springs to replace. Or is it implied that its a front suspension spring?

Any purchase info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #30 of 31 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 6:11 am

Re: Wow! What A Difference! PreLoad Refill Worked Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Is this what you needed to purchase HyperPro springs for the front and rear?

SP-BM12-SSL002

EPM Performance specified that these are for the front forks and rear shock. The front fork springs are throwing me off since we don't have front fork springs to replace. Or is it implied that its a front suspension spring?

Any purchase info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jer
This is what I have on order right now from EPM.

BMW K 1200 LT - '00
1 SP-BM12 SSL 002 Combo Kit for BMW K 1200 LT 269.00
Shipping & Handling Domestic 23.00

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #31 of 31 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 6:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Awesome, thanks for the detailed info. I've search the other HyperPro threads and couldn't come up with dealer and P/N specifics. They're probably around somewhere, but I came up empty.

Much appreciated,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in