used FD off of a 2005 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:44 am Thread Starter

used FD off of a 2005 LT

I received the final drive I plan to use as a spare yesterday. How can I tell if it is OK and usable? The oil is drained, although there was some in the box it was shipped in. I can turn the shaft and it feels smooth. Allegedly it was removed from an 05 LT that had a trike conversion and the FD was operating fine at that time but there is no way for me to know if that is fact. The person I bought it from said the fluid looked clean and there were no chips on the drain plug but I do not think it came off of his LT. I had considered shipping it to a repairman to have it checked out but not sure what the cost would be and if it would be worthwhile.

Any opinions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030854.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	35872   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030855.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	35873   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030857.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	35874   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030861.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	35875   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030858.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	35876  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030859.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	35877  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: used FD off of a 2005 LT

There are a few things you can do to assess the condition and determine the amount of use it has had. The pivot bearings for one - do they feel "smooth" when you rotate them with a finger? Are they "notchy"? If they are smooth then it has had little use. If they are notchy then it has a few miles but that is normal for these bearings. I have replaced them on every drive I have removed.

The stiffness of the U-joint in the drive shaft end. Loose here means lots of use. You can remove the 7MM bolts around the perimeter and open the case with a rubber mallet and look for signs of dark residue which could indicate aluminum wear (not so good).

Also get a general look at the big bearing but with out cutting it open it is hard to assess condition. Biggest failure to date on 05 and up rear drives is the taper bearing coming loose on the crown wheel assy. You can give it a tug when you open it to see if that is still tight.

Other than just preemptively replacing bearings (not really recommended on this one) that is about all you can do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Re: used FD off of a 2005 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
There are a few things you can do to assess the condition and determine the amount of use it has had. The pivot bearings for one - do they feel "smooth" when you rotate them with a finger? Are they "notchy"? If they are smooth then it has had little use. If they are notchy then it has a few miles but that is normal for these bearings. I have replaced them on every drive I have removed.

The stiffness of the U-joint in the drive shaft end. Loose here means lots of use. You can remove the 7MM bolts around the perimeter and open the case with a rubber mallet and look for signs of dark residue which could indicate aluminum wear (not so good).

Also get a general look at the big bearing but with out cutting it open it is hard to assess condition. Biggest failure to date on 05 and up rear drives is the taper bearing coming loose on the crown wheel assy. You can give it a tug when you open it to see if that is still tight.

Other than just preemptively replacing bearings (not really recommended on this one) that is about all you can do.
Thanks for the reply John,

der kleine fuchs

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in