Center Stand Electrical?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Center Stand Electrical??

I took my 05lt off my center stand drove 30 miles or so and then went to activate the center sand and no noise not a sound just the light on the dash. I figured lose wire or some such thing so drove home put in natural side stand up level ground and tryed again with no luck also no clicking or hum or noise of any kind just the dash light. I looked at the c/s from under and around the bike and all wires seem to be in place.. So what do you think my next step should be.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 11:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Center Stand Electrical??

If the light is flashing on of the interlocks is set ( brakes off, in neutral, side stand up). If it is not flashing then the relay behind the battery is suspect. Or the motor itself has crapped out (not unusual but they usually slow down before they stop altogether). Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 11:49 am Thread Starter

With the c/s button on I have power all the way to the c/s motor but no activation so I guess that means a new motor ??

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like it. Find one Here . Easy to install.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
If the light is flashing on of the interlocks is set ( brakes off, in neutral, side stand up). If it is not flashing then the relay behind the battery is suspect. Or the motor itself has crapped out (not unusual but they usually slow down before they stop altogether). Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.
The first step is to disconnect the power plug to the CS motor and hook up a vom and press the cs button. If you get 12 vdc then the motor brushes are most likely the culprets. Please search center stand for many repair posts. I fixed two of mine at the neg. brush.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Ya the motor is bad so as per your web help john I ordered a new one so when it gets in I'll rebuild the center stand with "Pozo's" awesome step by step with pic's instructions. You guy's are the best thanks from all of us nurds that don't know what we are a doing.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Take it from a guy who just replaced his clutch, albeit puckered from start to finish... You can do more on the LT than you may think you can. You just have to take it a step at a time, be open minded to going back to check and re-check, and not be too proud to ask for help if you are feeling unsure.

The community here is a great resource, not only for technical expertise and experience, but also for fellowship and fun. Glad you found us.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve
Ya the motor is bad so as per your web help john I ordered a new one so when it gets in I'll rebuild the center stand with "Pozo's" awesome step by step with pic's instructions. You guy's are the best thanks from all of us nurds that don't know what we are a doing.
Ari is great but do yourself a favor and don't take the pump motor apart - not necessary. Also clean everything spotless and lighty oil the o-rings and put it all back together. Just snug up the nuts on the cylinder. If you over tighten the housing will break. Put in no more than 135 ml of oil. Get a syringe from Tractor Supply. All the filling (and most of the draining) can be done through the 19 mm bolt port at the base, don't even mess with the 5mm plugs. Trust me I have done a bunch of these.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:25 am Thread Starter

John like you suggested I rebuilt changed out a few O rings and re-greased everything being ooooo so careful to only put in 135 ml of jack oil in the C/S Lift. I also put on the new lift motor but left the pump alone. Then drove up to the local Harley dealer where a bunch of folks were standing around looking at their cool bikes. Yep I did it I parked my bike where all could see, off course with my back to them and pushed the magic button and up she came sweet and sure just like new and just like that I had people standing at my side wanting to Jaw. For all that have done it you know what I mean! how sweet it is! again thank you all for your help.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

post #10 of 14 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve
John like you suggested I rebuilt changed out a few O rings and re-greased everything being ooooo so careful to only put in 135 ml of jack oil in the C/S Lift. I also put on the new lift motor but left the pump alone. Then drove up to the local Harley dealer where a bunch of folks were standing around looking at their cool bikes. Yep I did it I parked my bike where all could see, off course with my back to them and pushed the magic button and up she came sweet and sure just like new and just like that I had people standing at my side wanting to Jaw. For all that have done it you know what I mean! how sweet it is! again thank you all for your help.
Hey, Steve - congrats on gittin'-r-done. Question for ya (off topic a bit) - when you say local HD shop, you talkin' Seneca-local, or the one up near Joplin just south of I-44 off Hearnes Blvd? The one that you prolly pass by Richardson's Candy shop on the way? Nice shop (HD AND Richardson's!!) - lady owner when I visited and she kept a clean place, inside and out, with friendly folks on staff. Just curious if there is another HD shop closer to Seneca (Neosho maybe) or is that the one. TIA.
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Steve - congrats on gittin'-r-done. Question for ya (off topic a bit) - when you say local HD shop, you talkin' Seneca-local, or the one up near Joplin just south of I-44 off Hearnes Blvd? The one that you prolly pass by Richardson's Candy shop on the way? Nice shop (HD AND Richardson's!!) - lady owner when I visited and she kept a clean place, inside and out, with friendly folks on staff. Just curious if there is another HD shop closer to Seneca (Neosho maybe) or is that the one. TIA.
As I recall your a neosho home boy and know your way around here. In Seneca it still a one horse town with no M/C shop of any kind. Your right the shop I went to is in Joplin just south of Hwy 44 a block or two, and it is as your say spick and span and they are good to me when I ride in with that big gold Lt. Good folks I say.
Dick do you ever get up this way and if so please give me hoot! You helped me out before and elephants and I do not forget!
Steve

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

post #12 of 14 Old Jul 19th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, as usual to jzeiler, for the diagnostic I don't believe I have seen before: Unplug the connector and have a friend hold a test light or meter on the bike side and activate the button. If you get a light, motor is bad. If you get no light or indication proceed to the relay.

My stand worked for a while, then it quit, worked some more but it finally gave up and I just use the side stand. Had the bike in for a new front tire today so I asked Terrys2Wheel to check it - found the motor is bad. They verified by putting 12v to the motor itself - nothing.

Makes working on it tough if you can't center it. Maybe we can get a group buy on honda scooter starter motors? =-}

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 5:43 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew
Makes working on it tough if you can't center it.
You can still get it up on the centre stand, just need one person each side to steady it and pull back while you hold the CS feet down with your foot so it "bites" as you pull back. Even easier if you ride it up on some 250mm x 50mm timber blocks first.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2012, 9:34 am

Just thinking out loud here... Anyone ever weld on a "handle" (like on manual EHCS) to engage stand when motor/pump/whatever is inop?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in